Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JAAA running from Adidas money..

Sunday | February 2, 2014

Did JAAA Turn Down $Multimillion Adidas, 361 Degrees Offers?
    Published: Sunday | February 2, 2014

Blake dismisses reports as 'mischievous'

Andre Lowe
    President of the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) Dr Warren Blake has described as mischievous reports that his administration recently turned down a US$2 million-a-year kit sponsorship offer from German sports good manufacturers adidas and a US$3 million-a-year offer from Chinese company 361 Degrees.

The cash-strapped JAAA is currently outfitted by Puma - the world's third-largest kit provider - in a deal believed to be below the US$1 million mark, a contract that the JAAA's top brass has repeatedly expressed an intention to revisit.

In an effort to secure an improved deal, it is understood that the JAAA requested bids from both adidas and 361 Degrees but later pulled out of negotiations and is now expected to extend its current Puma deal beyond the December 2016 expiry date.

When contacted on Friday, Blake was reluctant to comment on the matter, while suggesting that the reports were mischievous and geared at undermining his administration.

"I won't comment on things like that. I don't wish to comment on things like that," said Blake. "Whoever gave that information is being mischievous."

Though unable to get an official statement from either sportswear company, The Sunday Gleaner was informed by well-placed sources that adidas offered a US$2 million-a-year deal, with an additional US$750,000 to be delivered in kits and gear.

The offer, it is understood, features a 10 per cent yearly increase, an additional US$2 million sign-on bonus, as well as 25 per cent on licensing and royalties from Jamaica-branded apparel sales.

According to our sources, this offer was made during one of at least two meetings between adidas executives, lawyers, and JAAA officials. One of these meetings took place during the adidas Grand Prix in New York last year. The meetings were reportedly attended by Blake and JAAA executives Garth Gayle, Dave Myrie, Dennis Gordon, and Gregory Hamilton.

long-time supporter

The JAAA administration also received an eight-year offer in excess of US$3 million a year in cash from 361 Degrees - a deal that also included bonuses, licensing and royalties components, a US$2 million sign-on fee.

There was also an offer for the first two years of the 361 Degrees sponsorship value to be paid up front in full.

Puma has been a long-time supporter of Jamaican track and field and currently sponsors Jamaican posterboy Usain Bolt - the World and Olympics 100m and 200m champion and world record holder, as well as other athletes from the island such as Olympic 110m hurdles bronze medallist Hansle Parchment and 400m hurdler Ristananna Tracey.

The company has also supported a number of local high school programmes and development track and field meets since its JAAA partnership started.

Copyright © 2014 Gleaner Company Ltd. All Rights Reserved.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...s/sports1.html
    Last edited by Karl; February 3, 2014, 12:08 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Who's the president of the JAAA, Warren Moyes???
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Why such a headline, X? They are running from 361 degrees also!

What, yuh have ting a for Germans?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

O.K.... while making a 361 degree turn into Puma pittance.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

They have a contract and have to Honour the terms of it do we know what new offer Puma has on the table or are you saying that there is no new offer just an extension...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I am saying the JAAA has options and Jamaica has a right to know them (transparency) be it before or after it is singed,and deal with publifc ramifications be it neglible or massive.

Comment

during contract negotiations no one but the parties rally has the right to know any details. Perhaps even after as well, be that as it may the public has no right to be informed or involved in the negotiations.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I am living in the states too long every sports contract esp with a franchise be it org or individual e.g NFL NBA ,Baseball etc is public knowledge.I believe even BPL and C.L t.v contracts are made known in some cases before singed but hey you had to remind me its Ja .I still believe we have a right to know the JAAA represents Jamaican interest.All done with the theme of transparency.

Comment

I never implied that john public should be involved in negotiations having knowledge of the process ,I believe we are entitled to that how much info they want us to be privy too is there call while it proceeds.But after its done all should be declared.

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                    I am living in the states too long every sports contract esp with a franchise be it org or individual e.g NFL NBA ,Baseball etc is public knowledge.I believe even BPL and C.L t.v contracts are made known in some cases before singed but hey you had to remind me its Ja .I still believe we have a right to know the JAAA represents Jamaican interest.All done with the theme of transparency.
                    How would you know what is not disclosed?
                    ...remember a crime where someone gets away scot-free are usually those never known except by the person who committed the crime?
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

All dat to...under di table side deals.

Comment

Working...
                      X