Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PR...2 Man BobSled

Are you watching?

Canada has a Jamaican who serves as brake-man.

Jamaica 1st run 28th...next run 30th (with some technical problems).

Got to lift your hat to the team!!
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Maybe if this goes forward it may be time for some kind of trials to pick a pool of the best athletes /drivers to improve the competitiveness of team.

Comment

I Guess We Should??

Originally posted by HL View Post
      Got to lift your hat to the team!!
      I’m a bit puzzled here, HL my friend: “lift your (our) hat” to a team that placed 30th out of 30?

Well, I guess we have to be patriotic and support our own, but I can’t help but reflect on some of the reasons why we are one of the few regional states that does not run its own economic and (consequently) social affairs; the IMF does this for Jamaica, and thankfully so!

Both the local private and public sectors need to watch every dollar spent. And as I argued several days ago (see my post below), for the life of me I am still at a loss as to why Jamaicans chose to enter (and support) the Winter Olympic Games! There is absolutely no sensible explanation for this, in my opinion! Or is it that our 1988 noticeable and surprising performance, and the Disney movie that resulted, make us feel that we stood a serious chance in the snow in 2014?!

Oh, I forgot….several posters mentioned the invaluable advertisement for Jamaica. But talk about putting the cart before the horse! Instead of FIRST cleaning up the country (unusually high murder and rape rates, armed robbery at mind boggling rates, etc.), we embark on selling “damaged goods” to the international market!

Again I suggest that we would be much better off pumping as much funds as we can into the further development of Jamaican swimming, lawn tennis, soccer (both women and men), boxing, track and field middle distance as well as field events, basketball, volleyball, and netball. We have scarce resources, so we need to place it where it can benefit us!

But isn’t “Waste” our middle name since at least 1962?

Comment

Historian, I share lots of your views. What you have stated is reasonable IMO.

I guess it's the sentiments coming through.

If I am not mistaken , a Jamaican from a past Bobsled crew holds the record for fastest start (or something to that effect).......................

Jamaica Tourist Board should be all over this Bobsled team. Maybe they are, but their presence is obviously missing.

I am not going to knock you for the views you just express. I am a sports junkie...and seeing Jamaica compete in a 'foreign' sport gives me some pride irrespective of the many fall-outs at home.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Did you see this ? Episode 1... the other three episodes will pop up at the end of this video
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uJ5lsHvehI
          Peter R

Comment

Historian I understand your rant but it is not a total waste. Introduction to the sport will be seen as a waste at first. Same thing for women football, woman cricket, baseball, basket ball or any new sport that we are involved in.

The mere fact that we have people who can make an Olympic is commendable, You know how many country would like to have just one sprinter in the summer games? On the fact of resources, I am not sure about the government funds but the bobsled team used their own resources and market to achieve, not from the pockets of most Jamaicans living in Jamaica but rather overseas donation and I can only commend them on that spirit and if the JFF and others use this method they would be in a much better position today, they also developed a theme song which is heard worldwide, I can only hope they get some money from it.

Like the Bobsled team we need more people to go out on a limb and do more self promotion like the Bobsled team and Tess Chin. Hope they make a little money after the Olympics, as while it maybe a joke for us it must have been some serious work for them.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Tess Chin did self promotion?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

She entered the competition, her talent and her team. She had a team around her but it had NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PUBLIC FUNDING. It was all about the Brand, and galvanizing support base on her performance.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I don't see that as self promotion in the same way that...anyway, carry on!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But MO most people have to have a basic team surrounding them, even the Bobsled team.

Tell me what you see as self promotion. Give me an example.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

Oh, I forgot….several posters mentioned the invaluable advertisement for Jamaica. But talk about putting the cart before the horse! Instead of FIRST cleaning up the country (unusually high murder and rape rates, armed robbery at mind boggling rates, etc.), we embark on selling “damaged goods” to the international market!

Again I suggest that we would be much better off pumping as much funds as we can into the further development of Jamaican swimming, lawn tennis, soccer (both women and men), boxing, track and field middle distance as well as field events, basketball, volleyball, and netball. We have scarce resources, so we need to place it where it can benefit us!

But isn’t “Waste” our middle name since at least 1962?

I understand where your thinking in the context of 'our previous brain-washing' ...but do not agree that, for example, the following -

[quote] But talk about putting the cart before the horse! Instead of FIRST cleaning up the country (unusually high murder and rape rates, armed robbery at mind boggling rates, etc.), we embark on selling “damaged goods” to the international market!
                      - fair or logical.

Rather I think a false choice is being presented.

We must clean up the country's unusually high murder and rape rates, armed robbery at mind boggling rates, etc., even as we embark on selling to international markets!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Incidentally -
                        Bobsleigh team made a valiant effort, says PM

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Prime Minister and Minister of Sports Portia Simpson Miller has congratulated the Jamaica bobsleigh team on their valiant effort at the Winter Olympics currently underway in Sochi, Russia.

"Your contribution to brand Jamaica is invaluable. Your valiant effort at the highest level of competition has captivated the world and brought pride to your fellow Jamaicans," said the Prime Minister.

She added: "Our people have always been resilient fighters and the team's performance was a true testament to this. We salute their demonstration of spirit and determination."

Simpson Miller noted that even though the team placed 29th overall, Jamaica is still beaming with pride and joy. "Qualifying for the Winter Olympics was a victory in itself and sends a strong message to the world that for us nothing is impossible. Jamaica continues to celebrate that astounding achievement and we wish the team members, coaching and other support staff all the best as they continue to work hard and build on their accomplishments. We look forward to cheering you on in 2018," she said.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...ys-PM_16083550

------

Also:

In 2000, the Jamaican bobsleigh team won the gold medal at the World Push Championships in Monaco.[4] At the 2002 Salt Lake City Winter Olympics, the 2-man team of Winston Watts (pilot) and Lascelles Brown (brakeman), set the Park City bobsled track record and the Olympic record for the push-start segment of the 2-man race at 4.78 seconds. Jamaica failed to qualify for the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, or the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, British Columbia.

After the 2002 Winter Olympics, Lascelles Brown moved to Calgary, Alberta, Canada, where he married his Canadian girlfriend and became a Canadian resident. In 2004, Brown joined the Canadian bobsled team. In 2006, at the Turin Winter Olympics, with his Canadian driver Pierre Lueders, Brown won the Olympic Silver Medal (second place) for the 2-man bobsled event. At the Vancouver Games in 2010, Brown again raced for Canada, and received an Olympic Bronze Medal, when his Canadian 4-man team finished in third place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamaica...bobsleigh_team
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                        X