• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really my opinion that govt should provide spikes

but interesting read.

Gov't neglects barefoot stars

Published: Friday | February 28, 2014 3 Comments

THE EDITOR, Sir:
    The 2014 Gibson Relays was a huge success. Records were broken and everyone had a fabulous time.
    I wonder, however, how many persons realised that a number of primary-school students had to be running barefooted. I also wonder if the government officials who were present even noticed it, or if they were too busy soaking up praise they did not deserve.
    We have to admit that this has become the status quo for the Jamaican Government. Officials ignore the athletes while they are young and up-and-coming, and the minute the same athletes become stars, who shows up but the Government?
    They remind me of many of Jamaica's non-existent fathers who only show up in their children's lives when they can benefit from it.
    Hey, Government! We definitely do not need any more absentee parents, so don't bother showing up when we are successful.
    KENISHA WILLIAMSkenishawilliams499@
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Trying to figure out how you drew that conclusion (in your topic) from the letter.

Maybe by deductive reasoning...??

But MAYBE corporate and individual sponsorship-- to provide equipment (spikes inc.) is not a bad idea .
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

yep. No reason our students should have to go to stadium without spikes or miss Champs if they qualify to compete.

Education was the heartbeat of my community but sports and music was the life.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X