X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was VCB framed?

Published: Friday | February 28, 2014 1 Comment

By Orville Higgins

The biggest talking point in sports among Jamaicans over the last few days has been the decision made by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to reverse the two-year ban imposed by the IAAF against Veronica Campbell-Brown after testing positive for hydrochlorthiazide (HTCZ).

The decision was unexpected for several reasons, not least being the fact that not too many athletes get their verdicts overturned by CAS. The reason, we are told, was, essentially, a procedural flaw. Neither CAS nor the IAAF, or indeed the athlete or her management team, has up to this point stated what breaches occurred during the collecting of her sample in May last year.

People close to the process have spoken publicly that the breach COULD simply be a case of the urine sample not being collected in two different containers. According to the IAAF rules, if an athlete doesn't pass the required amount of urine on the first attempt, this partial sample must be collected, sealed, and then another container (or containers) given to the athlete for additional urine to be collected until the desired amount is available.

Though that is the letter of the law, it isn't unusual that when athletes don't pass the amount they should, they are given back the sample until they are in a position to pass the extra amount in the same container. (One former athlete told me that this practice was indeed standard when she was competing.) This, of course, rules out the possibility of the sample being tampered with, since the container would be with the athlete until he or she can pass the extra amount of urine that is necessary. Was this the reason why CAS basically threw out the case?

What breach?

That theory as to what the procedural breach COULD be is making the rounds (as I said before, it has been said publicly on more than one occasions) and up to this point nobody close to the process has denied it. What are we to infer from all that? If that was indeed the case, why would the local panel not throw out the thing from day one? Why was there the need for a public warning, if the procedure did not follow proper protocol?

Second, and more mysteriously, why would the IAAF, given the same evidence that the local panel had, not only not throw out the public warning "punishment", but be prepared to extend it to a two-year ban?

Amid all this, VCB has maintained her innocence. Both she and her manager have spoken on KLAS ESPN radio since the CAS verdict, and both have steadfastly maintained that she has never taken HTCZ in her life. In other words, though most of the world now feels that VCB was reprieved on a mere technicality, she herself insists that she never took the drug. So procedural breach or not, the athlete feels that there was no real case against her. That now makes it more interesting.

Let us side with VCB for now. Let us completely accept her story that she did not take the drug. The mystery then of how it got into her sample (notice I didn't say her system) cannot disappear with a mere ruling. If VCB did not take the drug, then somebody must have put it in her sample. Right? That is the only rational conclusion. The question then would be who, and, indeed, why?

Was sample contaminated?
    If we accept VCB's story that she never took HTCZ, we have now got to believe that there are some corrupt people working as sample collectors in Jamaica, or people of some dubious mentality working at the lab in Montreal to which the sample was sent.

So if I were VCB, I would not only be relieved at the CAS ruling, but I would be livid that somebody was trying to frame me. Her reputation has suffered and, despite the CAS ruling, may never be completely restored. She has been out of track for the better part of a year and the subsequent loss of income must have been substantial. Will she and her team sue? Or will they be so happy that they will just make everything rest?

The CAS ruling may have restarted a career, but it hasn't ended the speculation.

Orville Higgins is a sportscaster with KLAS ESPN Sports Radio. Email feedback to columns@gleanerjm.com.
    Last edited by Karl; March 2, 2014, 05:16 PM.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Here's something to ponder. Think back, when was the last time a Jamaican athlete was tested positive for a banned substance at a major international meet? Over the last few years, ALL of our athletes that have failed a drug test, have done so in Jamaica where their samples were sent to the lab in Montreal, Canada. And most of the banned substances are mostly found in stimulants. In other words, no hardcore stuff. Yuh caan ketch Quashie...... Things that make you go hmmmmm.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

JAAA dissed me says Bailey - Veteran sprinter claims body's handling of Indoor Champs team selection was wrong
      Leighton Levy, Star Writer
      Aleen Bailey - File
      Veteran sprinter Aleen Bailey has revealed that she felt disrespected this week after being excluded from the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]national [COLOR=blue !important]team[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] to represent Jamaica at next weekend's [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]World [COLOR=blue !important]Indoor[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Championships in Sopot, Poland. The [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]athlete[/COLOR][/COLOR] had been notified by email just days earlier that she had been provisionally selected.
      She is the second athlete to have come out publicly against Jamaica's track-and-field authority for being excluded from the national team without any explanation, after being provisionally selected. Bailey, 33, who has a season best 7.22s in the 60 metres, was notified on February 19, by the Jamaica [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Athletic[/COLOR][/COLOR] Administrative Association (JAAA) that she was selected to represent Jamaica in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Sopot[/COLOR][/COLOR].
      In an email signed by JAAA General Secretary Garth Gayle, Bailey, the 2004 Olympic sprint-relay gold [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]medalist[/COLOR][/COLOR], was congratulated for being selected and asked to provide a picture page of her Jamaican passport and the nearest airport from which she would be travelling. That information was to have been provided by February 20, and the athlete complied. However, when the team was announced on Tuesday of this week, Bailey was not among the 23 athletes named. "I was hurt when I found out," she said from Europe yesterday.
      She said she has not contacted the JAAA to find out why. "Contacting them is a waste of time because they will not respond. There was no explanation because they don't feel they need to give you any," she said. "They have no respect for us."
      However, Gayle in response to Bailey's comments said the athlete will be notified, but disclosed that there is a process of selection that is being adhered to.
      best available athletes

Garth Gayle
      "The JAAA seeks to always select the best available athletes given all the factors considered," he said. Bailey's time ranks her 20th in the world. Shelly-Ann Frazer-Pryce is the only Jamaican who has run faster over the distance. Only two athletes can represent the country at any one event at the World Indoors.
      The 33-year-old said she is speaking because this is not the first time she feels she has been disrespected by the local governing body for [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]track [COLOR=blue !important]and [/COLOR][COLOR=blue !important]field[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] and she is tired of it. "This isn't the first time that they have done something like this and I am just tired," said the frustrated sprinter referring to the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]IAAF[/COLOR][/COLOR] World Athletic Championships in [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]Daegu[/COLOR][/COLOR], South Korea, in 2011, when she said she was excluded from the [COLOR=blue !important][COLOR=blue !important]sprint [COLOR=blue !important]relay[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] team and replaced by a sprinter who had run a slower time than she had.
      "I've always been humble and respectful and they're always rude and treat me like I have no value."
      She said when someone speaks out at the administration they are treated like outcasts.
      For the remainder of the season, she said, she plans to focus on her schedule. "I have one more meet (in Berlin), then I am heading back to the US to get ready for my outdoor meets," she said.
      "I am just going to focus on my individual goals. I really don't want to deal with a federation who doesn't care about us. I am just tired now and understanding why so many of our athletes run for different countries."

Comment

For Tilla: Orville Higgins is a graduate of Mannings.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
        X