if you can win at boys and girls champs, you can win

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• if you can win at boys and girls champs, you can win

"In high school it is really competitive, if you can win at boys and girls championships, you can win anywhere," she continues.

"The level of confidence that it builds it just fills through you. You believe that you can do anything. I don't think there is any secret, we have just been competing since we were really small."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/commonwealth-games/26928263
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

hughes actually goes to classes at KC or...... not? is he just here to train with Mills?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Strictly Speaking, Not True

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      "In high school it is really competitive, if you can win at boys and girls championships, you can win anywhere," she continues.
      This is a positive, exuberant but historically inaccurate statement. The facts do not bear this (her statement) out at either the senior or junior levels.

Looking specifically at the senior level, I have always maintained on this forum that our true greatness (following our 1948 and 1952 triumphs) really began to shine at the 2006 Commonwealth Games and afterwards. In terms of global competitions, prior to 2008 we were winning a single Olympic Games gold medal once every two decades (1952, 1976, 1996), interspersed with a World Championships gold in 1983 and again in 1991.

At the junior level, we failed to win the regional Carifta Games on around five occasions. Prior to 2013, our greatest performance in a global meet was at the 1999 IAAF World Youth Championships with incredible talents like Veronica Campbell, Lisa Sharpe, Melaine Walker, Patricia Hall, Omar Brown, Michael Frater, etc.

The winners of field events and middle distance events at Champs, for example, fail to win at other events, aside from sometimes (often) at the Carifta Games.

Am I impressed with Jamaica’s sprint dominance? Most definitely I am!! My comments here are simply a dissecting of Kimberly Williams’ admirable but nevertheless hyperbolic comment.

Comment

It might not be true for everybody but that thinking work for her and a few others so SHHHHHHH, no mek them hear.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Why let facts get in the way of a good quote

You are of course correct. However I would say that the champs culture is the secret sauce responsible for our multi-decade track and field success and for our current golden era of sprint dominance.

There is no question in my mind that our natural sprinting talent and more recently the professional local clubs are also critical components but other nations have those as well. Champs is the only component that nobody else has, nor can they easily replicate.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The trouble is, for many athletes, Champs is their everything and their everywhere.

Carifta?!? What's that?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              The trouble is, for many athletes, Champs is their everything and their everywhere.

Carifta?!? What's that?!?!
              As usual you have me laughing!

By the way, I still laugh occasionally when I remember your post on the Caribbean Track & Field Forum almost a decade ago. In the midst of a busy discussion on, I believe, an outstanding Carifta Games performance by a certain Trinidadian 100-meter prodigy, you boldly posted, “Who is Darrel Brown?”

That night I laughed until tears came!

Respect to your genuine sense of humor, boss!

PS Your statement on Champs hits the nail squarely on the head. I have always held that view as well.

Comment

Good Point

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                Why let facts get in the way of a good quote

You are of course correct. However I would say that the champs culture is the secret sauce responsible for our multi-decade track and field success and for our current golden era of sprint dominance.

There is no question in my mind that our natural sprinting talent and more recently the professional local clubs are also critical components but other nations have those as well. Champs is the only component that nobody else has, nor can they easily replicate.
                I agree with you, I’man. Champs, more than anything else over the past several decades has been responsible for Jamaica’s dominance at the junior and, as a result, at the senior levels as well.

Of course, not every success story has its roots directly in Champs. For example, although Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce ran at Champs, with rather ordinary results, she stands today as the fastest woman in our history. Likewise, Champs would have contributed very little to Asafa Powell, but I get your point, boss.

(Also, I agree with the statement by ‘Sass).

Champs’ successes could have impacted the professional levels more, but, as Mosiah correctly (in my view) stated, “For many athletes, Champs is their everything and their everywhere.”

Comment

You have taken it to mean success in terms of medals is the alpha and omega of winning.

Is that what her 'expansive' comment is all about?
                  Many of our field event jumpers (not only the Champs winners) have been winners. ...and winners not only on the track but also in life.

btw an aside: - Speaking of Mannings - Does anyone here know of Dr. Victor Brooks? ...or Dr. Horace Levy?

Winners at Champs! Victor is a former "Victor Ludorum" ...and Levy went on to 'star' for XLCR.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

well that is how she feels and no doubt this gives her confidence. why would we want to argue with her on that point? to tear down her confidence? that statement is and remains personal to her IMHO....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

yu si mi. Have to use something to motive yuself.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                      X