The Next Big T&F Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Next Big T&F Event

This is just a reminder that the next big track and field event is little more than a month away. I’m referring, of course, to the IAAF World Relays to be held on May 24-25, 2014.

The events to be contested over these two days will be the 4x100-meter, 4x200-meter, 4x400-meter, 4x800-meter, and 4x1500-meter relays for men and women.

Source of article below: The Bahamas Weekly

(http://www.thebahamasweekly.com/publ...ons34343.shtml )

IAAF 2014 World Relays press delegate pleased with preparations
    By IAAF Relays Bahamas
    Apr 11, 2014 - 10:33:37 AM

Nassau, Bahamas – The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Press Delegate and Local Organizing Committee (LOC), Director of Event Media Services are both pleased with the media set up as well as the overall development of the Thomas A. Robinson National Stadium.

The pair who gave two thumbs up, after completing a press site visit last week made the revelation during a press briefing which was held at the stadium.

“I am pleased with what I’ve seen. All the plans are really up to IAAF standards and we do have very high standards at the IAAF,” IAFF Press Delegate, Anna Legnai said. “It is not always easy for organizing committees to provide everything that we request for our events, but I am pleased with all I’ve seen and I’m really confident that everything is going to work out well.”

LOC, Director of Event Media Service, Stefan Thies said he is also pleased with what he has seen thus far.

“I’m very optimistic, we know we still have a way to go and we have a lot of work during the next few days,” he said.

During the site visit the pair made sure that the press tribune is of a high quality, they also looked to make sure that the mix zone is properly constructed and that the press can easily gain access to it and that it has all the amenities that they will need.

Some of the other things that they looked for were Wi-Fi Internet access, copier access as well as properly constructed camera placement areas that are of high quality.

welcome back!! just in time.

got an email about it 2 days ago and i'm counting my pennies to see if mi can afford ..... they say its better in the bahamas.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

From My Perspective

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      welcome back!! just in time.

got an email about it 2 days ago and i'm counting my pennies to see if mi can afford ..... they say its better in the bahamas.
      Gamma, my friend, that slogan, “It’s Better In The Bahamas” has to be probably the most successful of any catchy tourism slogan in our entire Caribbean and Latin American region. Whether or not that is an accurate message, much respect is nevertheless due to the Bahamas’ tourism industry for this long-running “dream” slogan. It’s catchy, and its positive connotation is understandable.

Now, and personally speaking, I have only a passing interest in the IAAF World Relays, and not only because it’s a new venture by the IAAF. The fact is that NOT many countries can put together a relay team, and so the results of the 4x100-meter, 4x200-meter and 4x400-meter relays (men and women) are fairly predictable. In fact, as soon as countries name their teams, I will start a prediction thread here.

The 4x800-meter and the 4x1500-meter relays are what I am anticipating most of all, and I expect an outright battle between Ethiopia and Kenya, if these two countries choose to be at this new global meet.

The Bahamas has made a major gamble in holding this new event for the first two years, 2014 and 2015. If this May 24-25 event is successful, however, this will be a huge benefit as far as the Bahamas’ sports tourism is concerned.

Comment

The real question is, who will be going from Jamaica? If the top line guys don't go this is going to be a non-event.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
          The real question is, who will be going from Jamaica? If the top line guys don't go this is going to be a non-event.
          Yep, that is the question. We’ll just have to wait and see, I guess. The one thing I know so far is that Bolt will not be taking part, but aside from that, I’m not sure who will make up our team, or even if there’s much interest on the part of Jamaica.

Same thing with our women; will VCB, Shelly-Ann, etc. be there?

Like I said above, I honestly have only a passing interest in this new IAAF venture.

Comment

Gibson Relays must exalt themselves as the world relays and done!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I honestly thought there were going to be some individual events as well!
              Peter R

Comment

There Won't Be Any

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                I honestly thought there were going to be some individual events as well!
                No Peter, This is strictly a relays event. From the little I understand, however, the Bahamas will be using the opportunity to display their best junior athletes in high school relay competitions as well (I guess to break up the monotony of the handful of global relays).

But there will be no individual events on either the track or the field.

One thing I’ll say though, and it is that the Bahamas is certainly capitalizing on this “Sports Tourism” idea (remember the recent Tottenham Spurs vs. Reggae Boyz game?), an idea that Jamaica has been completely oblivious of despite the achievements of VCB and Shelly-Ann and Usain and Yohan and Asafa since 2004!!

Were our T&F decision makers born dumb, or did they/we just simply evolve along those lines?

Comment

Working...
                X