Is anyone following the Penn relays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone following the Penn relays?

I'm just browsing some results, here's one...
    http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=343
    Peter R

4x100 boys ..JC New Penn relay record.http://pennrelaysonline.com/Results/results.aspx?en=464
    Peter R

Comment

Yep, following....no live TV coverage?
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

I watched it on MSNBC.
        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

http://www.jamaicaolympics.com/watch...lays-2014-live

Videos copied link from CTF!

Comment

NBC

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
            I’ve always wondered why does NBC make the decision every year to get the television broadcast rights for track and field events like the Penn Relays and the IAAF World Championships if they have no interest in broadcasting it to the widest American audience? Is it that other prominent media houses have no interest?

I am aware that NBC showed yesterday’s events on their sports channel, but how many Americans have sports channel packages which include a channel like NBC Sports? Interestingly -- and this demonstrates NBC’s bias as well as, possibly, the low level of interest in track and field by Americans -- NBC’s main channel was broadcasting English soccer followed by ice hockey during this time.

At least in the case of the Olympics, NBC provides live coverage of sports such as swimming, diving, gymnastics, volleyball, etc. (while always relegating track and field to nightly delayed broadcasts). So, I can see why NBC strives to obtain Olympic Games broadcasting rights.

Finally, in the same way that the 2001 IAAF World Championships (Edmonton, Canada) was covered by CBS (if my memory is correct; if not, then it was ABC), why can’t we have track and field coverage by alternative media houses more often?

Comment

They can't put it together and the IAAF is not helping them to see the big picture. I was lamenting yesterday how it is that Penns and Drake fall so close together, literally being on the same day.

If these media guys had any vision at all they could string together quite a few of these events and provide a real season of track and field games with superior pre event coverage and hype and good live coverage. Money can be made in spectacular amounts, you have tons of all kinds of young people from all over striving to put forth their best in a competitive arena, every one with great personal stories, track and field is filled with drama, competition and intrigue it s all about putting the package together and marketing it.

I listened to many of the races yesterday at Penns and the commentators had no idea of who was actually running in the races, mixing up races and just missing key developments within the races. Very disappointing!

Comment

Track and Field in the USA is a niche sport. Not much interest in it at all especially outside of an Olympic year.

There is no way NBC would be showing Track and field ahead of hockey when the NHL is in playoff season now. Hockey is more popular than even soccer in the USA.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
                  I listened to many of the races yesterday at Penns and the commentators had no idea of who was actually running in the races, mixing up races and just missing key developments within the races. Very disappointing!
                  Where were the commentators from? Jamaica?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

All USA. Seems the least they could do is have a program in front of them, they called the Utech race two races before it was actually run.

Comment

Another reason why I don't enjoy the Penn Relays, whether live or on TV.

The USA has fallen so far behind in T&F, not only as athletes but as commentators and cognoscenti.

The other reason is there is so much downtime during the relays, when Jamaican schools are not competing. I'm not interested in the Large High Schools of Philadelphia 4x100 event, or the Methodist schools 4x800. What next? The LGBT 2x2x200m?

I'm sure all those athletes and their families are ecstatic to be there but it's just of no interest to me.

Boys & Girls Champs mi say, str888!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                      X