13 Days To Go: IAAF World Relays

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 Days To Go: IAAF World Relays

It’s a mere 13 days to go before the inaugural staging of the new global meet, the IAAF World Relays (May 24-25). Hopefully Jamaica will be sending its strongest possible team to compete in the five relays for men and women: 4x100-meter, 4x200-meter, 4x400-meter, 4x800-meter, and the 4x1500-meter relays.

The official website, for those who are interested, is: http://www.bahamasworldrelays.org/

You may also read the Jamaica Observer article below for additional information:

"Our arms are wide open to welcome the world and we will put on a great show," Sands told the Jamaica Observer at the recent Penn Relays Carnival in Philadelphia.

With a brand new Mondo track at the Thomas A Robinson Stadium that was still to be "striped" (marked) up to last weekend, Sands said no efforts would be spared to ensure a first-class championship, worthy of the IAAF's lofty standards.

The two-day event will see an estimated 800 athletes from 48 countries, including Jamaica, taking part in five relay events from the 4x100m to 4x1,500m, and including 4x200m, 4x400m and 4x800m.

Observer story link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...Sands_16585765

This Countdown

I look forward to the increasing interest on this forum over the next week as this event sinks in (lol). Trust me, the IAAF has been working overtime to make this global event a permanent addition to its calendar!

Maybe this is an event that our JAAA should have looked closely at actively seeking to acquire (the Bahamas signed the deal in 2012 at, I believe, the London Olympics).

Comment

Seems to me the IAAF have to figure out how to ensure the best athletes run at a new event that they are promoting. How do you start a new global event and you cannot influence the best athletes to promote the IAAF new event and brand. Track and field cannot progress to the level it deserves in the arena of sports unless the best athletes compete consistently at the biggest events.

Comment

Good Point

Originally posted by Stonigut View Post
        Seems to me the IAAF have to figure out how to ensure the best athletes run at a new event that they are promoting. How do you start a new global event and you cannot influence the best athletes to promote the IAAF new event and brand. Track and field cannot progress to the level it deserves in the arena of sports unless the best athletes compete consistently at the biggest events.
        Logical argument, as usual, Stoni. I absolutely share your view.

This situation you referred to is sad, as there might very well be good performances at this World Relays. The USA has selected a strong 55-member team, and Kenya has already stated that it’s sending a strong team. (http://www.usatf.org/News/Team-USA-R...World-Rel.aspx )

I believe the NCAA’s is scheduled for June 11-14 (Eugene, Colorado), and so the timing of the IAAF World Relays can be a problem for the outstanding college track athletes and their preparation.

Incidentally, Jamaica has not yet announced its team.

Comment

Just goes to show, Jaaa is probably hoping it somehow goes away. Btw is Jamaica somehow solidifying and strengthening its influence in the IAAF as our athletes have opened the doors to such a rise.

Comment

maybe they have decided not to go...?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Would Be A Bad Idea

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              maybe they have decided not to go...?
              It would be very shortsighted, and unfortunate, if the JAAA decides not to send a full team. The IAAF World Relays are being used as relay qualifiers for the 2015 IAAF World Championships (Beijing).

Also, there is the usual attractive prize monies for relay teams ($80,000 for winning team, and so on).

Comment

Useless Sports Minister and Administrators

Just goes to show, Jaaa is probably hoping it somehow goes away. Btw is Jamaica somehow solidifying and strengthening its influence in the IAAF as our athletes have opened the doors to such a rise.
                I am sure Jamaica is not in any way strengthening its influence in the IAAF, or anywhere for that matter (outside of Boys & Girls Champs)! When we had Teddy McCook at least we had some influence regionally and internationally. I am not aware of anyone since Teddy died; all I know of are whiners and backstabbers and idiots (the latter seen clearly in JADCO).

Most importantly, we need a Minister of Sports with vision! This is extremely important, and I could spend all day on this!! Our present Prime Minister should never have made herself Minister of Sports, and her Minister of State for Sports is just as useless as her!

You have pointed out the irony: our athletes are the ones who “opened the doors to such a rise,” but have we benefitted? Just to make a comparison with the country that will be hosting the first IAAF World Relays: Jamaica has the Jamaica Invitational (which is just one of many IAAF track and field meets – Even Cayman has one) but the Bahamas went for the big one, and so their Sports Ministry was able to get the IAAF World Relays for not one, but TWO consecutive years (2014 and 2015)!

Comment

Thanks for keeping this post alive. I believe it is a given we will win the men's 4x100 & 4x200 and medal in the men's 4x400. How about the women?
                  Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Yohan Blake included in Jamaica's squad for the World Relays. Usain Bolt left out of Jamaica's team.
                    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Nice, that is good, I was fearing a bunch of second tier athletes like a panam games style squad.

Comment

Six days to go! As you say Historian.

Comment

But Some Worrying Developments

Six days to go! As you say Historian.

Yep, Stoni, but we’re suffering some setbacks. It seems that MVP’s outstanding athletes Natasha Morrison (4x200-meter relay) and Christine Day (4x400-meter relay) both picked up injuries and may not make the trip.

Also, I notice that Shelly-Ann did not make the trip to Shanghai this weekend.

Comment

Yes those will hurt no doubt but we can replace those with not too bad a drop off, what I am worried about is losing the difference maker SAFP, hopefully she can complete a leg in each final.

Developments though have been Chrisann Gordon and Malcolm both running under or about 2:04 in the 800 possibly a bronze there.

Comment

Chris Ann

Yes those will hurt no doubt but we can replace those with not too bad a drop off, what I am worried about is losing the difference maker SAFP, hopefully she can complete a leg in each final.

Developments though have been Chrisann Gordon and Malcolm both running under or about 2:04 in the 800 possibly a bronze there.
                              Yes, but I would love to see Chris Ann Gordon running the 4x400-meter relays. Unfortunately she is scheduled to run the 4x800-meter event. I cannot imagine Jamaica picking up any sort of medal in the women’s 4x800 relay!

I am not sure if we “can replace those (Natasha Morrison and Christine Day) with not too bad a drop off.” Well, maybe Day, as we have other 4x400-meter women who can easily step in, but Morrison is a major loss. Our women’s team, unlike a decade or two ago, is not impressively strong (McLaughlin and Calvert, for example, are not particularly impressive right now) at this point in our history. Note, for example, that Samantha Henry-Robinson is down for BOTH sprint relays.

Sherone and the aging VCB, for example, are not on the team.

Comment

Working...
                              X