Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teen tennis star Francis Tiafoe credits dad for success

Teen tennis star Francis Tiafoe credits dad for success

It is 8 o'clock on a Tuesday morning and Francis Tiafoe is in class like any other 16-year-old, but that is where the similarity ends. His day lasts a whole lot longer than that of the average kid next door, reports CBS News special correspondent James Brown.

"I have lunch for a half hour, and I'll do school again from 12:30 to 2:00," Tiafoe said. "Then I'll play tennis from 2:00 to 4:00, and then 4:00 to 6:00 I go to school again."

Francis spends nearly 12 hours a day here at the Junior Tennis Champions Center in College Park, Maryland, in a full-time development program geared to produce future American pros.

"Since I was like eight, I always wanted to be playing pro tennis," Tiafoe said.

As the second ranked junior in the world, Tiafoe is well on his way. Last year, at 15, he became the youngest champion in the history of the prestigious Orange Bowl tournament in Florida. Known as the "fifth grand slam" of junior tennis, some of tennis' all-time greats catapulted to stardom from there.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/orange-b...-tiafoes-rise/

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Great story Mo, don't find much better than that.

Comment

This is a great story for me because so many of our tennis stars got their start playing with used racquets and balls after ball boy duties at many of our tennis clubs.

Noel Rutherford, one of our best ever, beat then world-ranked player, Mikael Pernfors of Sweden. Pernfors was ranked as high as 10 in the world.

Talent abounded from long time. If only our athletes received sustainable assistance to maximise their potential.

And of course, the other reason why I like this story is because his father is from Sierra Leone!
      Last edited by Mosiah; May 29, 2014, 09:15 AM.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes but no clear Maroon connections!

Comment

Heh heh! Low the Maroons!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
          X