Jamaica & the Commonwealth Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica & the Commonwealth Games

The 2014 Commonwealth Games began earlier today with the opening ceremony. A total of 71 Commonwealth nations will be taking part this year, with 17 of those countries being Caribbean.

The three Caribbean nations that have won the most medals are:
    Jamaica: 112 medals
    Trinidad & Tobago: 44 medals
    The Bahamas: 31 medals

Of the 227 total medals won by the Caribbean from the 18 Commonwealth Games in which the region has participated (there have been a total of 19 Commonwealth Games), 168 have come from track and field.

End Note: While my subject line says, “Jamaica and the Commonwealth Games,” I decided in this post to take a look at the broader Commonwealth Caribbean. To date, of course, Jamaica is the only Caribbean country to host the Commonwealth Games (1966).

Shelly-Ann’s Comment on Flag Bearer

Alia Should Have Carried The Flag, Says Fraser-Pryce

GLASGOW, Scotland:
    Jamaican sprinting star Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce says she is disappointed that fellow track athlete Warren Weir was asked to carry Jamaica's flag at Wednesday's Opening Ceremony for the Commonwealth Games.

She says it's swimmer Alia Atkinson who should have been given the honour.

Source: The Jamaica Gleaner, Thursday, July 24, 2014
    (http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=54412 )

Comment

And she is right!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Our administrators, like our politicians (is there a difference?), continues to let us down. The World Junior Championship is currently underway in Oregon and from reports, the administration is a hot mess over there. Michael O'Hara being forced to run the 100m, our athletes underperforming due to a long track season, etc. We certainly know how to eff up a good thing, just give us some time.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Lol, So What Else Is New??

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Our administrators, like our politicians (is there a difference?), continues to let us down. The World Junior Championship is currently underway in Oregon and from reports, the administration is a hot mess over there. Michael O'Hara being forced to run the 100m, our athletes underperforming due to a long track season, etc. We certainly know how to eff up a good thing, just give us some time.
          Jangle, in case you didn’t realize, I was a regular poster on the Caribbean Track & Field Forum from March 2002 until either late 2007 or early 2008.

Why am I no longer posting there? This is due to one or two factors, prominent among them being my realization long ago of the ineptness of many people at the coaching and administrative levels of track and field in Jamaica. In fact, to cite a single example, the archives here will show a thread I posted reflecting my view that we made a major mistake in the 2004 JAAA elections. Certain things have a domino effect!

We made another error more recently with the JAAA results for Grace Jackson. But, of course, we had gotten lost in the results of the far-reaching vision of Stephen “Franno” Francis, and in the renaissance in local sprinting led by Asafa Powell, Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Veronica Campbell-Brown, Sherone Simpson, Melaine Walker, and Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce.

Now, sit back, grab the popcorn, and watch the USA move back to the forefront of sprinting (and track and field in general). The signs have been there for the past two or so years. Our saving grace have been our men’s sprinting, but check out recent performances!

I could make a lot of informative comments on this forum, but as Gamma once suggested to me here, maybe this is not the forum for track and field discussions. Maybe he is correct.

Now, you may archive this final comment if you feel like: Jamaica’s cycle of dominance in the sprints globally, which started ONLY a few years ago, is wrapping up rapidly.

Comment

of course i'm correct! i'm always correct when i'm not wrong!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

???

What does JAAA ineptitude have to do with you not posting at CTFF?

That forum does not spare JAAA feelings one bit, in fact people there thend to be hostile to the JAAA.

Comment

Working...
              X