• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commonwealth Games Results!

Alia Atkinson sets new Games record for 50m breaststroke
    Poised for Gold?

BY SEAN WILLIAMS Assistant Sport Editor

Friday, July 25, 2014

GLASGOW, Scotland — There is no doubt who has been Jamaica's star so far at the XX Commonwealth Games.

Alia Atkinson, Jamaica's poster girl for swimming, has set a new Commonwealth Games record in the women's 50 metres breaststroke. Not once, but twice in one day. Her brilliance in the pool on day one of the 12-day championship saw her swimming 30.49 seconds in her first plunge of the day, and amazingly, she came back some eight hours later to set a new mark of 30.17 seconds in the semi-finals.

Continue reading:
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...-Gold_17238046

Wonderful Start For Netballers!

Sunshine Girls make bright start
    Friday, July 25, 2014

GLASGOW, Scotland — Jamaica's Sunshine Girls got off to a bright start with a crushing 88-24 defeat over Caribbean neighbours St Lucia in Group A netball action, sending a strong message as their hunt for glory at the XX Commonwealth Games rolled off here yesterday.

Continue reading:
    http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/sport...start_17238772

Comment

Lol! We beat St. Lucia and that counts as a wonderful start? Nuh historian did raise the bar for all of us when he tried to convince us that Jamaica is not a sports powerhouse?!

What am I missing here?

There are more girls playing netball at The Queen's School than on the entire island of St. Lucia! What's there to celebrate?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

My Only Comment....

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Lol! We beat St. Lucia and that counts as a wonderful start? Nuh historian did raise the bar for all of us when he tried to convince us that Jamaica is not a sports powerhouse?!

What am I missing here?

There are more girls playing netball at The Queen's School than on the entire island of St. Lucia! What's there to celebrate?
        I do not plan on responding to every inaccurate comment, but I will make this one exception:

Didn’t I go out of my way, in EVERY such “Not a Sports Power” post, to point out that we are a sports power in the sprints and in netball?? For heaven’s sake we have been dominating the global sprints (200 meters and below) since 2008, and our senior women team consistently ranks among the Top Four in international netball.

Check the archives and you will see that I have always, in such discussions, recognized our prowess in the sprints and in netball (and, to a lesser extent, in cricket).

And, in case you forgot, those arguments surrounded my unchanging view that the real sports power of the Caribbean is Cuba, NOT Jamaica! The facts back up this statement.

Now, I started this thread to allow for the posting of results from the 2014 Commonwealth Games, not to get bogged down in idle exchanges.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
          I do not plan on responding to every inaccurate comment, but I will make this one exception:

Now, I started this thread to allow for the posting of results from the 2014 Commonwealth Games, not to get bogged down in idle exchanges.

Heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cuba has dropped off badly!

Comment

Working...
            X