Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just give us some time....

We know how to fvck up a good thing.

What went wrong at the World Junior Champs?

PAUL REID on the sporting edge

There was some chatter that given the event was being held in the United States, travel time would be no big deal. How wrong they were. It took me 15 hours from checking in at Sangster International on a Sunday morning to checking into my hotel very early the next morning.
    The schedule had been set from at least nine months ago and surely those responsible for the travel plans of the athletes must have had some idea which athletes should leave early.
    Most troubling was the situation with the 100m runners in Eugene. It would be interesting to hear the reason why Jonielle Smith was allowed to travel with the team, basically as a manager, since there was no way she was going to be able to compete given her injuries.
    She broke down in training two weeks before the team left and had to be withdrawn from the pre-competition camp and even with that knowledge, she was taken to Eugene, where she promptly broke down again in training.
    Michael O'Hara said he told the coaches and managers he had no intention of running the 100m, yet he was entered for the event when they arrived in Eugene.
    To make a Bad situation worse, the Jamaican team had not entered alternates for the 100m, as is allowed, and so neither Smith nor O'Hara could be replaced. And this was after reserves were told they would be competing.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/regio...amps-_17310983
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

So True!

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
    We know how to fvck up a good thing.

What went wrong at the World Junior Champs?

PAUL REID on the sporting edge
    I wish Paul would resume posting regularly on this forum. I, for one, miss his interesting posts (although he was sometimes so controversial; lol).

He has raised some timely questions in this sports commentary, and there is nothing I’m going to add except to say this: My opinion of the JAAA has been conveyed repeatedly on this forum, and so I’m not at all surprised about their bungling!

By the way, now I understand why O’Hara ran his 100-meter heats in the lackluster way he did.

Comment

U only realize about Ohara now?? it was predicted at CTFF that he would do so.

Let me make it very clear for you…bungling is the least of our problems with the JAAA.

I meet people when they pass thru on the circuit here and get to hear things. Things that would cause yuh complexion fi turn white like duppy!

The likkle wobble at WJs is nutten compared to what may be coming due to JAAA shenanigans.
      Last edited by Willi; August 9, 2014, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Ah yes, that insightful former postern that kept telling us that Dexter Lee was a winner and better than Blake.

How I continue to laugh at that analysis. Anyone who knew track should have realized that Blake had far more potential.

Comment

Lol

Originally posted by Willi View Post
          Ah yes, that insightful former postern that kept telling us that Dexter Lee was a winner and better than Blake.

How I continue to laugh at that analysis. Anyone who knew track should have realized that Blake had far more potential.
          Like I stated in my post above, “….although he (Paul) was sometimes so controversial” (lol)!

Yes, I vaguely recall that analysis of Dexter Lee vs. Yohan Blake. That was really “interesting” stuff (euphemistically speaking) for sure! Lmao!

Comment

Our Esteemed JAAA

Originally posted by Willi View Post
            U only realize about Ohara now?? it was predicted at CTFF that he would do so.

Let me make it very clear for you…bungling is the least of our problems with the JAAA.

I meet people when they pass thru on the circuit here and get to hear things. Things that would cause yuh complexion fi turn white like duppy!

The likkle wobble at WJs is nutten compared to what may be coming due to JAAA shenanigans.
            Willi, nothing -- and I really mean nothing -- about our JAAA can surprise me anymore!! In fact, sometimes I wonder who I have the greatest contempt for: the JAAA or JADCO!

I don’t have the in-depth information like you get, but from the comparatively little I know, I have nothing but contempt for our track and field administrative body, even going back to the Howard Aris days (remember, for example, the JAAA’s move back at the 2009 Berlin IAAF World Championships to ban MVP athletes from competing? Thank goodness the IAAF stepped in).

And speaking about that banning attempt by the JAAA in 2009, I have always found it rather ironic that the only MVP athlete who did not face a disciplining threat -- Michael Frater, because he had reported to the camp -- is today a member of the new JAAA.

Frater, though, has proven to be somewhat of a disappointment in that someone with his background should have been more proactive in bringing about positive changes for our athletes!

Comment

Not sure that is fair to Frater let us see and hear whether he is trying to do anything for the athletes

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
              X