IAAF World Relays 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IAAF World Relays 2015

It’s exactly one month to go for the second edition of the IAAF World Relays. It will be held once again in the Bahamas. Last year’s inaugural event was highly successful, and included the setting of three world records (two by the Kenyans and one by the Yohan Blake-anchored Jamaican 4x200-meter relay). Blake later again anchored the Jamaican men to a second gold medal, this time in the men’s 4x100-meter relay.

Among our shortcomings was a horrible final baton exchange in the women’s 4x100-meter relays, with the result that the USA won that gold and, despite a superb anchor run by Samantha Henry-Robinson, we were only able to get the silver.

Regarding the women’s 4x200-meter relay team, which could only grab the bronze medal, despite being anchored by Shelly-Ann, to this day I am not sure what went wrong with this talented team.

Anyway, it is another year, and hopefully, our big stars will once again be on display. Hopefully also, Usain Bolt will take part this time around.

I am hearing radio commercials advertising the event here in NY.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yep, The IAAF Takes It Seriously!

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      I am hearing radio commercials advertising the event here in NY.
      Yes. Despite the initial dismissive attitude by many Jamaicans, including one or two of our posters here, the 2014 IAAF World Relays turned out to be a major success all around.

The truth, Jangle, is that relays are almost certainly the most exciting events in track and field. One shortcoming that track and field has always faced when compared to many other sports, is that track and field is largely an individual event. Most other sports are team events. This makes a huge difference, and is probably why there is such a lackluster attitude towards athletics in the USA and other countries.

The World Relays was a brilliant idea by the IAAF, and this major global meet may just be the shot in the arm – the saving grace – that track and field needs.

I suspect that this second IAAF World Relays (May 2-3, 2015) will be even more successful than last year’s. The Bahamas’ sports tourism ventures (there are major American football, soccer, etc. events lined up for its new stadium this year) is a move in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        [FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="2"]
        The World Relays was a brilliant idea by the IAAF, and this major global meet may just be the shot in the arm – the saving grace – that track and field needs.
        Didn't realise T&F needed a shot in the arm. Some would say that is exactly what turned them off in the first place, you know, the steroid shot in the arm! )

In my view, this is not like 20-20 cricket breathing life into a dying sport. The World Relays will not increase T&F fan numbers significantly.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Maybe the bahamas needs the shot in the arm, new stadium an international event and of course at the expense of the jamaicans who saw it as not worthy(according to him) dont recall anyone saying that, in fact we saw it as a missed op , correct me if i am wrong Historian

Rasta tell demm all di while.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

bahamas plug ... right on cue!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Rasta tell im all di while,why im a carry belly fi mi.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I doubt it. WChamps year. I dont expect many people to prioritize these relays when "real" Gold medals are at stake later.

Comment

Just Wondering

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                  bahamas plug ... right on cue!
                  Gamma: I typed a total of seven (7) rather lengthy sentences, but in your brilliance all you saw was the last one, which, for me and for Jamaican’s track and field accomplishments, was the LEAST important of these seven sentences! You continue to disappoint me with your myopic outlook, my friend.

Incidentally, that sentence was typed, not for you, but rather with an important, invaluable track and field fan, TDowl in mind. TDowl and I have had agreeable discussions on Willi’s site next door, in particular immediately after the 2004 Athens Olympic Games (on this matter of sports tourism).

A soccer enthusiast like you might not know this, but Jamaica won two gold medals in that Olympics: VCB in the 200-meter race while the women won the 4x100-meter relay, both for the first time in our history at any Olympic Games.

I am still not certain why you found it necessary to make a comment in this thread.

Comment

Historian, someone on this site wrote the following phrase : "majoring in the minor ".

I find this phrase quite profound. Sometimes some of us just need to shut the fuuuk up.

Please forgive my language.
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

So True!

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      Historian, someone on this site wrote the following phrase : "majoring in the minor ".

I find this phrase quite profound. Sometimes some of us just need to shut the fuuuk up.

Please forgive my language.
                      So true! Much respect, HL my friend.

Often this forum genuinely amazes me! All I did was type information about one of the IAAF’s upcoming major calendar global events. This info was primarily for my fellow diehard track and field fans on this board (Jangle, Stoni, TDowl, Willi, etc), but look at the ridiculous responses this simple post has drawn from certain quarters!

Damn unbelievable!

Comment

So ole on nuh unnuh a look war , unnuh caan handle little sarcasm ,or blunt eloquent rejection.

Rasta tell unnu all di while , bagga wire cant be found , when di battle get a likkle hot.

Comment

Internet fora are hardly the place to hang out if your message is intended only for "friends". As for eliciting specific responses...

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                            So ole on nuh unnuh a look war , unnuh caan handle little sarcasm ,or blunt eloquent rejection.

Rasta tell unnu all di while , bagga wire cant be found , when di battle get a likkle hot.
                            "...man a man...." X

Iz rasta say suh...!!!
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I am curious if the hotels will be filled like they were in Kgn for champs and the stadium filled ,I am pretty sure Miss- torian will keep you up-to-date and you will relay it to the site.

Comment

Working...
                              X