Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So you like "the numbers"? - IAAF Champs & Jamaica

The real measure of our Beijing 2015 success

Jamaica has had a fantastic year of sports achievement to date and the year is by no means finished. We have had amongst other successes, excellent performances by the track and field team and our swimmers at the Pan American Games in Toronto, the Paralympians have again done us proud at their Pan American Games events, the badminton team has excelled in the recent Pan American championships with several gold medals, the men's squash team was dominant in the Caribbean.

Our martial arts competitors continue to demonstrate its world class, the Special Olympians came out on top in many of their events, the Reggae Boyz have had two excellent tournament performances which have catapulted them to 52nd in the world ranking, the Netball team maintained their fourth place in the world rankings and Alia Atkinson capped it all by equalling a world record in her pet event. There were others too whose performances simply serve to reinforce the notion that in the world of sport, we are indeed a dominant force to reckon with and frequently "punch above our weight class."

But all of these tremendous performances were before our recent excursion to the Bird's Nest Stadium in Beijing for the eagerly awaited IAAF World Championships. This Stadium evokes very pleasant memories for all Jamaicans and for me holds a very special place in my own heart, having been the head of the Olympic team when we drew a line of demarcation between our consistently good world class performances at the Olympic Games since 1948 and the sharp elevation to the top of the world with the superlative triumphs of legends Usain Bolt and Shelly-Ann Fraser- Pryce amongst others in the 2008 Olympics Games.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/s...g-2015-success

Historian: A yuh write dis?
    Good stuff!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Jamaican athletes EARNED over $60 million at the

recent IAAF World...

http://www.kaba35.com/jamaican-athle...rld-athletics/
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

you will not get an answer before 2016.

I wonder why that specific date? oh well....enough time spent wondering!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

His second stats, number of TOTAL medals won per 1,000,000 to demonstrate the "punching above weight" phenomenon is NOT completely accurate. On a PER CAPITA basis, Bahamas and Grenada have us beaten on that score. It would be Grenada 1, Bahamas 2, Jamaica 3 by my calculations. Since they do not have a million population, to include them would involve some extrapolation. Per capita (and not per 1Million) would then be a fairer comparison.

He should not have gone there because to take his demonstration to the fullest comparison, he should not have omitted those countries.

So, you know seh is NOT Historian who wrote that piece as he would not have missed that AT ALL!
        Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
          His second stats, number of TOTAL medals won per 1,000,000 to demonstrate the "punching above weight" phenomenon is NOT completely accurate. On a PER CAPITA basis, Bahamas and Grenada have us beaten on that score. It would be Grenada 1, Bahamas 2, Jamaica 3 by my calculations. Since they do not have a million population, to include them would involve some extrapolation. Per capita (and not per 1Million) would then be a fairer comparison.

He should not have gone there because to take his demonstration to the fullest comparison, he should not have omitted those countries.

So, you know seh is NOT Historian who wrote that piece as he would not have missed that AT ALL!
          Did he not put in the condition that populations had to above 1,000,000? ...he was comparing only such countries with a population of one million and above?

Comment

Ok sir... I missed that, BUT I'm sure somebody in the Bahamas (Historian?) has written a similar piece without that restrictive clause.
            Peter R

Comment

Got yuh!

Comment

Hummutch gold dem mine dis trip?

Comment

who?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

zero... but I was referring to his analysis of the TOTAL medals won (regardless of colour) per 1million.
                    Peter R

Comment

Working...
                    X