• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quinella! ...Ja's Lee, Ashmeade finish 1-2 in 100m

Quinella! ...Ja's Lee, Ashmeade finish 1-2 in 100m
    McDermott, Batchelor make respective finalsObserver/CMC
    Friday, July 13, 2007

Lee... I am very happy with the victory but not with the time
    OSTRAVA, Czech Republic - Dexter Lee captured the Boys 100 metres final to hand Jamaica its first gold medal on the second day of the 5th IAAF World Youth Championships here yesterday.
    Lee clocked 10.51 seconds to force compatriot Nickel Ashmeade (10.54) into second place, while American Kenneth Gilstrap was third in 10.65 seconds.
    "I am very happy with the victory, but not with the time. I got a bad start and somehow that threw me off, it affected me," Lee lamented.
    The Herbert Morrison Technical High School student lived up to his top billing after cruising through the early rounds Wednesday and yesterday morning.
    In other performances on day two, Jamaican Latoya McDermott will be the only Caribbean runner in the 400 metres final after finishing second in the first semi-final with 54.35 seconds.
    Jamaican Tarik Batchelor also garnered some success as he reached the boy's long jump final with a best of 7.43 metres.
    Shana Gaye Tracey, also of Jamaica, secured a berth in the 400 metres hurdles final after finishing second in her heat in 59.38 seconds.
    Grenadian rising star Jirani James improved his personal best in qualifying for the Boys 400 metres final, clocking 47.29 seconds over his 47.38 clocking on Wednesday.
    And Shane Brathwaite created history for Barbados on day two of the World Championship when he won the Octathlon in a thrilling finish to the event yesterday. It was Barbados' first-ever gold medal in a global track and field competition.
    Brathwaite clocked 2:48.01 minutes in the 1,000 metres to finish fourth and claim the valuable points which earned him the precious gold medal for his country.

"He called me last night from Ostrava and he was confident of winning a gold, but to hear he has won gold has me really happy," Brathwaite's mother, Karen Gaskin told CMC Sports in Barbados.
    With none of the top three positions determined in the eight-event challenge prior to the 1,000 metres, Brathwaite ensured top honours by beating out Jaroslav Hedvicák of the Czech Republic and Australian Adam Bevis.
    Brathwaite trailed Spain's Eusebio Caseres by a mere 22 points before the 1,000 metres but consistent performances in his four events Thursday earned him enough points to finish with 6,261, a World Youth leading performance in this year.
    He posted a best of 1.89 metres in the high jump, 14.45 seconds in the sprint hurdles and 52.72 metres in the javelin throw.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Good 1, 2.

Comment

Lee's family, coach bask in golden run
      PAUL A REID, Observer writer
      Friday, July 13, 2007

MONTEGO BAY, St James - Mother Charlene Campbell (right) and brother Keneil Lee after hearing of Dexter Lee's exploits at the World Youth Champs in the Czech Republic yesterday. (Photo: Paul Reid)
      MONTEGO BAY, St James - "Pleased but not surprised" was the reaction by his family and coach to Dexter Lee's golden run in the Boys 100m final at the 5th IAAF World Youth Championships in Ostrava, Czech Republic yesterday.
      Lee's mother, older brother and coach all believed he would take home the gold and despite the distance, said they spoke to him as often as they could.
      Mother Charlene Campbell could hardly contain herself when the Observer visited her at home in Catherine Hall yesterday, saying his achievement was "my proudest moment".

Dexter's father, she said, had left the island just a few days before the team left for Eastern Europe, but has been calling ever so often to keep up with his son's progress through the 100m rounds.
      Lee became the first Jamaican male sprinter to win a global 100m title when he raced to a 10.51 seconds time, beating teammate Nickel Ashmeade into second place.

Flanked by her other son, Keneil, also a member of the Herbert Morrison team and a former National Junior representative, Campbell said she was more nervous than any of her sons, especially Dexter, of whom she said, "nothing ever bothers him".

Living just a few hundred metres from the Catherine Hall Stadium, Campbell said she watches him run as often as she can, especially at the Milo Western Relays and Milo Western Champs.
      Keneil, she says is Dexter's biggest supporter and always the one who kept telling her not to worry about anything, that he would take home the gold.
      She said she does not play favourites with her two sons as she keeps telling Keneil he too must keep pushing towards his goals.
      Claude Grant, who has coached Lee over the past four years, said "based on the programme we set at the start of the year, I knew he would be able to sustain a high level of fitness through the long season."
      Grant said he was not worried about the relatively slow time that Lee ran. "Time is not something I worry too much about. Times come with conditions and based on what I heard, the conditions were very cool, so I did not expect a very fast time."
      The coach said he had some concerns in the early rounds, as he detected some things that needed corrections, such as his starts.
      A phone call after the quarter-final, he said, smoothed that out and there was a noticeable difference.
      "The goal at the start of the year was to take home the gold," Grant said, adding that "and that is all that matters right now."
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

"Lee became the first Jamaican male sprinter to win a global 100m title when he raced to a 10.51 seconds time, beating teammate Nickel Ashmeade into second place." - surprising fact, given our history of supplying the world with great 100m runners.

It's high time they strip Justin Gatlin of his 100m gold medal in the last world championships and hand it to Michael Frater!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
        X