• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome Asafa!

Awesome Asafa!
    Powell whips Atkins in Golden Gala 100CMC/Observer
    Saturday, July 14, 2007

Jamaica's Asafa Powell (centre) comfortably powers to victory over Bahamas' Derick Atkins (right) and Churandy Martina of Netherlands Antilles during the 100m event at the Golden Gala athletics meeting in Rome, yesterday. (Photo: AP)
    Jamaica's world record holder Asafa Powell put the brakes on the rising Bahamian star Derrick Atkins and won the men's 100 metres at the Rome Golden League meeting yesterday.

Using a sizzling start, Powell dominated the marquee event and clocked a season's best 9.90 seconds to win ahead of the Bahamian Derrick Atkins (10.02).
    Completing a Caribbean sweep of the event, Churandy Martina, of the Netherlands Antilles, clocked 10.10 for third, while another Jamaican Nesta Carter finished fifth in 10.19.

Jamaica secured a second win on the programme when Kenia Sinclair captured the women's 800 metres.

Powell, who missed the Paris Golden League a week ago and surrendered his chance at the US$1 million jackpot for winning all his events in the Golden League series, produced a fine run and snapped an impressive four-race winning streak by Atkins, his distant cousin.

Kenia Sinclair of Jamaica cuts the finish line to win the women's 800 meters race at the Golden Gala athletics meeting in Rome's Olympic stadium, yesterday. (Photos: AP)

The world record holder at 9.77 seconds - a time he has recorded an amazing three times - was quickest out of the blocks and took control early.

Atkins, who won the Paris Golden League last Friday, tried in vain mid-race to challenge Powell and in the end was forced to fight off Martina for second as the big Jamaican flashed to another superb win, gazing at the infield clock as he raced - unthreatened in the last 10 metres - to victory.

It was his quickest time this year, but he said he could have gone faster.
    "I eased up at the finish. I didn't want to put pressure after the injury," he said.

"It was frustrating to get the injury when I did, at the start of the Golden League, but I'm happy with the way I raced here," added Powell, who will go for his biggest championship prize to date at the Osaka World Championship August 25 to September 2.

Sinclair followed up her Lausanne Grand Prix victory on Tuesday with one minute 59.45 clocking that gave her victory over Spain's Mayte Martinez (1:59.74) and Commonwealth Games champion Janeth Jepkosgei (1:59.87).

Jamaican-born American Sanya Richards stayed on course for the jackpot with an authoritative win in the women's 400 metres.
    She clocked 49.77 seconds for a solid victory, chased by Senegal's Amy Mbacke-Thiam (50.15) and American Natasha Hastings (50.34).
    Jamaicans Novlene Williams (50.39) and Shericka Williams (51.10) placed fourth and sixth, respectively.

Sanjay Ayre clocked 45.21 seconds for fourth in the men's equivalent won by the USA's LaShawn Merritt (44.44).

American Michelle Perry, on target to successfully defend her title in Osaka next month, blazed a world-leading 12.44 seconds to land the 100-metre hurdles ahead of Spain's Josephine Onyia (12.67) and Sweden's Suzanna Kallur (12.72).

Delloreen Ennis-London, Jamaica's 2005 World Championship silver medallist behind Perry in Helsinki two years ago, placed fifth in 12.85.

Danny McFarlane's 49.36 was good enough for fourth in the men's 400m hurdles won by South Africa's LJ van Zyl in a season's best 48.24.

American women enjoyed a fabulous evening as sprinter Torri Edwards added another fine win for them in taking the 100 metres in 11.03 seconds ahead of another American Me'Lisa Barber (11.11).
    Cydonie Mothersill, of the Cayman Islands, placed eighth in 11.25.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X