X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gay is a real threat to Powell

Gay is a real threat to Powell
    published: Thursday | August 23, 2007

Jamaica's Asafa Powell winning the men's 100 metres ahead of Tyson Gay at the Golden League athletics meeting in Berlin last year. Both are expected to face-off in the showdown of the World Championships, the 100m. - Contributed

HOW FAR does three world record runs of 9.77 seconds go in determining the best sprinter since the 2002 Olympic Games?

Very far, or should I say, very fast. But Jamaica's Asafa Powell is in real danger of not winning the 100m title at the World Championships.
    Powell is the world 100m record holder but American Tyson Gay is the form sprinter this season.

The two have met five times over the 100m dash, all in one season. That was when Powell was impressive in running 12 sub-10 second clockings, whipping everyone, including Gay, who was just making his way into the big league.

Powell's victories
    Powell's victories over Gay started in July (2006) when the margin was 9.85 to 10.04. The other wins were 9.86 to 9.97; 9.77 (world record) to 9.84; 9.86 to 9.96 and 9.89 to 9.92.

In all these races, Gay had to play catch-up after getting slow starts.
    So far this year, both sprinters have been kept apart from each other, which leaves track and field fans across the world waiting anxiously for the big showdown.

They were scheduled to face-off at the Norwich Union Super Grand Prix, but Powell, according to his manager Paul Doyle, pulled out because the money was too 'small'.

Many people believe otherwise, some saying he was hiding from the fastest man this season, while others believe heis not 100 per cent and don't want to take any chances going into the World Championships.
    Whatever the reason, they cannot stay apart from each other this weekend as they are both chasing their first world title.

The fact that Powell will be under pressure to win his first global title means he has his work cut out, especially since holds the title as the world fastest man.

Powell missed the 2005 Championships in Helsinki, when the world was waiting for a showdown between himself and American Justin Gatlin.
    He was also disqualified from the quarter-finals at the Paris World Championships.

So far this season, Powell has recorded times of 9.97 seconds, 9.94, 10.20, 10.20, 10.04, 9.90 and 10.04.

And for Gay, apart from his world leading 9.84 seconds, he has ran 9.97 and 9.98 as sub-10 times. He has a very fast wind assisted time of 9.76 (2.2 wind).

Earlier this year, Gay admitted he likes Powell and he would have to get a very good start to beat the Jamaican, something he said he was working hard towards.

Now, all eyes will be on the 100m final come Sunday (8:20 a.m. Jamaica time). May the best man win ... no, sorry, remember I am a Jamaican, I hope Powell wins, or better yet, Powell is going to win.

Seriously though, if Powell who has also run two 400m races - 47.67 and a personal best 47.17 seconds this season, but has battled injuries this year and previous years - is 100 per cent fit, he should win easily.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

no threat as long as he stays on the STRAIGHT and narrow....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

He better not lose to a man name Gay...Yardies wouldnt figive him

If name sticks to form...Gay will be in the rear
      Six days I work for my children, on the seventh day they work for me.
      Mitty

Comment

Working...
      X