• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shock, disbelief fill Powell household

Shock, disbelief fill Powell household
    BY DANIA BOGLE Observer staff reporter bogled@jamaicaobserver.com
    Monday, August 27, 2007

THE drone of the SDMO Genesis 3500 generator from the one car garage of the Powell residence in Orange Field Village, Ewarton, was the only sound to be heard as the Observer's motor vehicle pulled up in front of the house Sunday morning, half-an-hour before 100m world record holder Asafa Powell was set to run in the much-anticipated men's 100m final at the 11th IAAF World Championships in Osaka, Japan.
    The distinct hum of that same generator was the only sound that could be heard following the race, as silence descended upon the small livingroom when Powell was beaten into third position as American Tyson Gay pulled away to victory ahead of The Bahamas' Derrick Atkins.
    Asafa Powell's brother Nigel (right), and family friend Dwight look on in disbelief as the athlete is beaten into third by American Tyson Gay in the men's 100m final at the IAAF World Championships in Osaka, Japan, yesterday. (Photos: Garfield Robinson)
    "Oh man!" Dwight, the family friend who had come over to watch the race, interjected time and again.
    The other persons in the living room, Asafa's brother Nigel, nephew Jermaine, and friend Jimmy, who had been a mixture of laughter and irreverence just before they found humour in the story of the false start in the men's 5000m, remained speechless in a sort of surprised silence.
    Nigel, who, when this reporter expressed a touch of nerves ahead of the race, said "Mi madda up deh (upstairs) a dead now", left the room. He had earlier told the Observer that their mother Cislin, was always nervous before Asafa had a big race and prefers to watch in the privacy of her bedroom.
    His father William, who calmly sat reading the Sunday Observer on the balcony minutes before the race, said afterwards that Asafa was not himself yesterday.
    "That is not 'Safa'," he said. "To me something wrong, he wasn't free and he can do better than that, but that's how it goes with the rounds and he will come again and when he comes home we will find out what happened because a not 'Safa' that."
    "We're not disappointed because we know that man come and man go. He will not continue being champion at all times, when it is his time, it is his time," he added philosophically.
    Cislin, shared that nerves had precipitated a need to use the bathroom before the race and that she in fact doesn't watch the races live, but waits for the replays.
    "I was really looking for him to take home the gold, but it doesn't happen when you are looking for it... when you are not looking for it is when it happens and I am just glad that he reached this far and did not get an injury.
    "I believe his injury is acting up, that it was a part of it because he has beaten that guy (Gay) five times already," she went on.
    Nigel, who was so candid and open prior to the race, told us afterwards that he preferred not to speak anymore.
    There is still no electricity in Orange Field Village a week after the passage of Hurricane Dean, and so at just after 8:30 am with the streets virtually empty, our white station wagon left the community in the same relative obscurity in which we had arrived.

Shock, disbelief fill Powell household
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
    a not 'Safa' that."
    Oh yes, it is!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Powell is mentally weak - no gold in Beijing expected

Powell admits to conceding silver

Asafa Powell (right) finishes third behind Tyson Gay in the 100m final

World record holder Asafa Powell admits he gave up during the World Championships 100 metres final when he realised he was out of contention.
      The Jamaican faded to third place behind Bahamian Derrick Atkins while Gay stormed to take gold in Osaka.
      The 24-year-old said: "When Tyson came on and gave me a little bit of pressure I just panicked.
      "When I saw I wasn't in gold medal contention, I gave up in the middle of the race. I just stopped running."
      Nine-time world champion and BBC analyst Michael Johnson indicated after the race that he believed Powell has conceded the race.
      Johnson said: "You could see him thinking, I'm losing it, I'm losing it, before he just gave up."
      And Powell admitted: "I said to myself there was no coming back from this."
      The loss was a major disappointment for Powell, who has never won a world title despite having run a global best 9.77 seconds three times.
      606: DEBATE
      What Powell did was the epitome of 'choking' in sport

dreropes

"I felt very free, very relaxed before the race but I am not sure what happened and I can't be negative right now," he added.
      Powell, who failed to medal in the 2003 worlds and 2004 Olympics before missing the 2005 World Championships through injury, promised to make amends by breaking his own world record before the end of the year.
      "I didn't get to run fast at these world championships but I am going to bounce right back," Powell said. "I am going out there and I am going to give a world record."
      He also insisted he can't wait to take on Gay again soon, perhaps in Brussels next month.
      "We both can bring some excitement to the sport," Powell said. "He will win some races and I will win some."
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

another concession....his mentality must be that tyson should not beat him again in this life or the next...he doesn't have to say it out loud either

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Is Powell just not getting it? Yes, he will beat Gay in Brussels next month, but it will be the world-record holder beating the WORLD CHAMPION!!!

And we already know he is the fastest man on the planet, so setting another world record would be...why bother?

And how him so sure Gay plan fi lose no race to him?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Is Powell just not getting it? Yes, he will beat Gay in Brussels next month, but it will be the world-record holder beating the WORLD CHAMPION!!!

And we already know he is the fastest man on the planet, so setting another world record would be...why bother?

And how him so sure Gay plan fi lose no race to him?
            He doesn't understand that without a major championship gold medal, he will never go down as the greatest sprinter in history. He could break the record 20 more times it doesn't matter.
            Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

yup..because his record will also be one day broken....no not his .45, 33 1/3 or 12"....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gay surges past 'panicked' Powell for world 100 win

Gay surges past 'panicked' Powell for world 100 win

Tyson Gay of the United States crosses the finish line to win the gold medal in the final of the men's 100m at the World Athletics Championships yesterday in Osaka, Japan. At bottom is Derrick Atkins of The Bahamas, silver, and at left Jamaica's Asafa Powell, bronze. - AP

OSAKA, Japan (AP)

A scorching final 50 metres made Tyson Gay the world champion.

The 100-metre match-up yesterday between the latest American sprint sensation and co-world record holder Asafa Powell was the most anticipated event of the world track adn field championships. Gay made it a one-man show.

Under a full moon on another hot, sticky night at Nagai Stadium - with Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko looking on - Gay surged ahead of the Jamaican over the final 40 metres to win in 9.85 seconds. A "panicked" Powell couldn't even manage second place. He was third in 9.96, behind Derrick Atkins' 9.91.

Negativity nearly overwhelmed Gay before the biggest race of his life.
                "I was wondering, 'Will people still respect me if I lose?'" he said. "I was wondering if anyone would still love me."

A pep talk from mom cheered him up.
                "She talked to me and made me a believer," he said. "That's something I wasn't doing. I had a lot of negative thoughts. I was just real nervous and I was getting frustrated. That's what I did was visualise this victory and turn it around."

Thanking God
                His parents and younger brother and sister were among the estimated 40,000 who watched from the stands.

"I wanted him to relax and enjoy the moment," his mother, Daisy Lowe, said. "I'm relieved. I feel so much better now. I get so nervous before races. I am so proud."

Gay and Powell were side by side at the starting line, but they never looked at each other. Gay sat behind his blocks, intensely staring straight ahead and talking to himself, while Powell paced.

"I was saying to myself basically that I'm the fastest in the world," Gay said. "I was ordering my steps, running through the race. I was thanking God win or lose before the race even started."

Gay was smiling 10 metres from the finish, knowing he had won. When it was over, he let out "a scream of joy". There was some chest-thumping and more shouts, then he grabbed a U.S. flag, draped it around his shoulders, posed for pictures, and took a victory lap.

Powell was grimacing through the final few metres of another disappointing finish in a major event.

"I just panicked and tightened up," he said. "I made a big mistake."
                Powell has run a world record 9.77 seconds three times but has never won a world or Olympic title. In fact, his bronze yesterday was his first medal at either event.

"Next year I will get him," Powell said, "but for now I am very disappointed."

Gay succeeds fellow American Justin Gatlin as world 100 champion, and he will try to supplant Gatlin's 200-metre title later in the meet.

Strong headwind
                Gatlin is appealing an eight-year ban for testing positive for steroids and testosterone.

"I really felt I had to bring the medal home and try to get that cloud over," Gay said. "I'm really hoping that everyone blocks that out and that whole situation disappears."

His time yesterday was slightly off his world-leading 9.84, run into a strong headwind at the U.S. championships in June. That means the world record still is shared by Powell and Gatlin, although Gatlin is expected to be stripped of the mark once his drug case is settled.

Retired sprinter Jon Drummond has been working with Gay, trying to improve his notoriously slow start and helping him through the distractions of becoming track's next great sprint star.

Gay probably won the race out of the blocks. He was out relatively quickly, not far behind Powell. He caught the Jamaican at about the halfway point, then turned on his trademark powerhouse kick to run away with the victory.

"I looked at the big screen and was kind of mad at myself because I saw how big my eyes were," Gay said. "I was trying to stay relaxed, but I didn't look relaxed. I was trying to get to the finish line first, and when I got to about 10 metres to go, I started to feel the joy."

Gay remains loyal to coach Lance Brauman, who is nearing the end of a one-year prison sentence for embezzlement, theft and mail fraud. The charges stem from Brauman's manipulation of scholarships for his athletes at Barton County Community College in Kansas.

"My coach gets out of jail, I think, in a couple of days," he said. "I'm still looking forward to working with my coach. I would like to dedicate this race to him."

Brauman called Gay Sunday morning.

Said Gay, "He told me basically that he knows in the morning when he gets up that I'll be world champion."
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Asafa has a lot to thank God for. He is a multi-millionaire and is in good health. Praise God! He can rebound. Donald Quarry can tell him about that. Cheer him on for another day. Ali lost fights but fought on to be three time champ and be "The Greatest."

Some of the discussion on sports talk radio has been that Asafa does better in a single race format when the top runners are invited. They argue that this has been the case of many other top athletes. However, when they go through four races in two days, it is more physically and psychologically demanding.

Pop music has addressed the pscychology in performances. When thinking about the shortest and toughest test in all of sports, that is the 100 m race, I remember the following pop themes which have been played before big matches & meets over three decades. The first was the inspiration to the Louisville Cardinals and Darrell "Dr Dunkenstein" Griffith in the 1980 NCAA Basketball championship.

Kenny Loggins :"...This is it
                  Make no mistake where you are
                  This is it
                  Your back's to the corner....",

Eminem: Lose yourself intro "Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
                  Would you capture it or just let it slip?"

Billy Joel: Pressure "You have to learn to pace yourself
                  Pressure
                  You're just like everybody else
                  Pressure
                  You've only had to run so far
                  So good
                  But you will come to a place
                  Where the only thing you feel
                  Are loaded guns in your face
                  And you'll have to deal with
                  Pressure ...."