asafa the fastest man ever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• asafa the fastest man ever...

Asafa named fastest man ever Tuesday, 11 September 2007 In addition to lowering his world record to an amazing 9.74 seconds, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Jamaica's[/COLOR][/COLOR] Asafa Powell is now the fastest man ever according to the latest wind/altitude measurements.

Powell's 9.78 seconds in the final of the men's 100 meters in Reiti, [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Italy[/COLOR][/COLOR] on Sunday eclipsed the 9.79 run by American Maurice Green in 1999, in [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Athens[/COLOR][/COLOR], Greece on the wind/altitude adjusted list.

Meanwhile, world 100 meter champion Tyson Gay has pulled out of yet another 100 meter event, the Van Damme Memorial and will not face world record holder Asafa Powell in Friday's 100 meter race.

The organizers said in a statement, "the American is feeling too tired after the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Osaka[/COLOR][/COLOR] world championships to face Asafa Powell".

The organizers of the Golden League meet said they also could not draw him into a 200 meter race against the other Osaka medalists and compatriot Xavier Carter, who did not compete at the world championships.
    'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

But what's the big deal about Gay pulling out of meets. World Championship 2007 was the meet that everyone was gearing up for, and every one was trying to take their A game to Osaka.

Maybe the man is tired.

I haven't seen VC race since WC, and that's quite fine with me.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Comment

fastest man ever...to date! that can change quickly. in less than 9.74 seconds to be sure.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I know..stupid article, sounds almost American to me
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
          But what's the big deal about Gay pulling out of meets. World Championship 2007 was the meet that everyone was gearing up for, and every one was trying to take their A game to Osaka.

Maybe the man is tired.

I haven't seen VC race since WC, and that's quite fine with me.
          Gay running scared. He is signed up for Yokahama meet now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
            I know..stupid article, sounds almost American to me
            Not at all.

The yankees used to say that Mo Greene was still fastest given the adjusted time of 9.80s. Now Asafa tek weh dat tuh, so dem haffi "tek weh demselves". LoL

WR holder, adjusted WRH, you name it, we have it. Full set.

Now we haffi go get the Oly gold and it will bun dem forever!

Comment

Asafa not easing up at Golden League

published: Thursday | September 13, 2007

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP):
              THIS TIME there will be no holding back for Asafa Powell.
              The Jamaican set a world record of 9.74 seconds at the Rieti Grand Prix on Sunday, bettering his previous mark of 9.77 as he coasted over the last 20 metres in the second of two heats. At tomorrow's Van Damme Memorial Golden League meet, there will be no easing up.

Powell said he cost himself at least .04 seconds by slowing down in Rieti. If he had kept his pace, he believes he could have run as low as 9.70 seconds.
              "Maybe below," he said yesterday. "I'm not sure."

Meet organiser Wilfried Meert had hoped Powell would face world champion Tyson Gay at Van Damme. But the triple gold medallist from lastmonth's World Championships in Osaka, Japan, is skipping the meet.

That puts Powell in an ideal position, with only a relaxing run to another world record to concentrate on. Throughout his career, he has run fastest when the pressure is off and, as a result, he has the world record but no major titles.

In Osaka, the Jamaican tightened up in the 100 final against Gay and finished third. The pressure will only increase as he heads into next year's Beijing Olympics.

"I would not give up the world record for anything," Powell said. "I will stick with the world record."

Terrible start
              Powell felt he had a world record in him when he raced at the Van Damme last year, but had a terrible start and won in 9.99.
              The Van Damme has produced many long-distance world records over the years but none in sprint events.

Meseret Defar of Ethiopia is competing at the rarely run distance of two miles. Defar is the 5,000 world champion and set a world record over the distance this spring. She has been in good shape throughout the season.

The Van Damme is also the penultimate race in the Golden League season, and there are two athletes going for the US$1 million (euro720,000) jackpot.

Sanya Richards and Yelena Isinbayeva have won their events in all four Golden League meets so far and will split the money if they maintain a perfect record after Sunday's concluding ISTAF meet in Berlin.
              While Richards confirmed her dominance over the 400 in Zurich, Switzerland, last weekend, Isinbayeva was one jump away from being eliminated before escaping with victory in the pole vault.
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                "I would not give up the world record for anything," Powell said. "I will stick with the world record."
                That's what he really wants. He has enuff money to buy gold medals. You can't buy a world record! Visa doesn't allow it. They say they are priceless!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah but you only keep it for an indefinite time at least if you buy a medal yuh get a receipt with it to prove it's yours.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                    published: Thursday | September 13, 2007

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP):
                    THIS TIME there will be no holding back for Asafa Powell.
                    The Jamaican set a world record of 9.74 seconds at the Rieti Grand Prix on Sunday, bettering his previous mark of 9.77 as he coasted over the last 20 metres in the second of two heats. At tomorrow's Van Damme Memorial Golden League meet, there will be no easing up.

Powell said he cost himself at least .04 seconds by slowing down in Rieti. If he had kept his pace, he believes he could have run as low as 9.70 seconds.
                    "Maybe below," he said yesterday. "I'm not sure."

Meet organiser Wilfried Meert had hoped Powell would face world champion Tyson Gay at Van Damme. But the triple gold medallist from lastmonth's World Championships in Osaka, Japan, is skipping the meet.

That puts Powell in an ideal position, with only a relaxing run to another world record to concentrate on. Throughout his career, he has run fastest when the pressure is off and, as a result, he has the world record but no major titles.

In Osaka, the Jamaican tightened up in the 100 final against Gay and finished third. The pressure will only increase as he heads into next year's Beijing Olympics.

Terrible start
                    Powell felt he had a world record in him when he raced at the Van Damme last year, but had a terrible start and won in 9.99.
                    The Van Damme has produced many long-distance world records over the years but none in sprint events.

Meseret Defar of Ethiopia is competing at the rarely run distance of two miles. Defar is the 5,000 world champion and set a world record over the distance this spring. She has been in good shape throughout the season.

The Van Damme is also the penultimate race in the Golden League season, and there are two athletes going for the US$1 million (euro720,000) jackpot.

Sanya Richards and Yelena Isinbayeva have won their events in all four Golden League meets so far and will split the money if they maintain a perfect record after Sunday's concluding ISTAF meet in Berlin.
                    While Richards confirmed her dominance over the 400 in Zurich, Switzerland, last weekend, Isinbayeva was one jump away from being eliminated before escaping with victory in the pole vault.
                    IMO - Everybody in the world was looking for the 100 m match-up at World Championship 2007. That event has passed and the results are not to people's liking. Now that Asafa has lowered a WR since him performance at WC, everybody trying to say that Gay must meet him in a rematch.

If Gay has declined, it is the man's prerogative to do so. He has already fulfilled his obligation and what he set out to do this year. So if Gay now feel to run in some small meets, where he doesn't have to exert much engergy, and get some more money - isn't he entitled to do so?

What the hell I care about any more rematch for the year - Beijing is August 2008.
                    - Langston Hughes

Comment

didn't asafa seh him wouldn't exchange the world record for anything? he is therefore happy with what he has achieved...mek wi 'low him...is his life. he has to goout there and perform and if our expectations of him exceeds his for himself then he will always fall short of ours while being happy with his lot.

Comment

Tenk yuh sir. See mi post the girl fi yuh
                        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Where?!!!!

Comment

look under the other thread - anyway here it is again

- Langston Hughes

Comment

"oh lord my god, when i in awesome wonder consider all the worlds thy hands hath made......HOW GREAT THOU ART....HOWGREEEAT THOU ART!

Comment

Working...
                              X