• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First phase of JFF academy by 2007

<DIV>First phase of JFF academy by 2007
    published: Friday | September 15, 2006
    </DIV><DIV><DIV id=printReady><DIV class=KonaBody>

Paul-Andre Walker, Staff Reporter

THE JAMAICA Football Federation (JFF) has been promised the first phase of its academy will be built by March next year.

The promise came from Lovel Smith Construction Ltd. during the signing of a contract to begin the building of the academy in Malvern, St. Elizabeth, yesterday at the JFF offices.

Smith was present, signing the contract worth $23 million, along with JFF president Crenston Boxhill, academy committee chairman and JFF board of directors member, Carvel Stewart, and Michael Robinson, quantity surveyor for the project.

During the signing, Boxhill admitted there had been delays to the project, but said he had no regrets in waiting until the JFF got things right.

"This was not quickly hatched up for publicity purposes and I have no regrets and neither will the nation as it relates to the change of location," said Boxhill.

(Careless statement by Boxhill. Yes, we want them to get it right and not rush to build, but why can't we get it right without delay? That concept is lost on some Jamaicans. "Yuh waan mi rush it and nuh duh a good job?" Sigh. Can a good job be done expeditiously?)

According to Boxhill, upon the recommendation of Stewart, Smith, a 35-year veteran in the business and whose company has been in construction since 1989, was unanimously accepted by the JFF's board of directors.

Towards the end of the tender analysis there were four companies remaining in the hunt for the project with Smith getting the nod because his bid was the lowest "responsive bid", which means while some bids were lower, they were not achievable at the costing tendered.

Construction is scheduled to begin on September 25 and the first phase includes dormitories, administrative facilities, a kitchen and dining area and a sick bay.

Boxhill yesterday called to sponsors to get on board with the project to make it even bigger than it presently is.

Critical stage

"We are now at the critical stage where we invite sponsors to think big with us and reap the enormous benefits to be associated with this facility," said Boxhill, referring to the second phase that has not been covered by the FIFA Goal project.

"We have been having discussions with many sponsors with very good responses so far," he said. Meanwhile, Smith said he was more than capable of getting the job done.

"I have been in the construction business for over 35 years. I have done various things. Offices, the structure of bridges, you name it, I have done it," said Smith.

Phase two of the Goal project, which includes the building of four fields, changing room facilities and a pond for the irrigation of the fields, will not begin until the first phase is completed and the JFF concludes negotiations with the Munro College board of trustees for the lease of the land across the road from the academy.

Despite that formality, the JFF will still be able to start using the academy as Munro College has agreed to allow the entity to use its fields in the interim.</DIV></DIV></DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: First phase of JFF academy by 2007

The task of building a simple Football Academy appears daunting for President Boxhill.

I think the job of running the JFF is much more than he can handle.

Comment

Working...
    X