• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell to bat for int’l games at Trelawny Multi-purpose Sta

Burrell to bat for int’l games at Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium

By PAUL REID Observer West reporter

MONTEGO BAY, St James
    Incoming president of the Jamaica Football Federation, Horace Burrell, plans to approach the government with a view to using the newly constructed Trelawny Multi-purpose Stadium for international games soon after taking office.

Burrell, who was speaking at Tuesday’s launch of the fourth St James Football Association's Captain’s Bakery Knockout at the Wexford Hotel, said he hoped his administration will be able to help revive football in western Jamaica and playing international matches in the region would be one such step.

Burrell, the former JFF head and senior vice-president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), will take office on November 4 at the Voting Congress set for Hanover after he was the sole nominee for the post of president, garnering 11 of the 13 nominations.

After the function, Burrell told the OBSERVER WEST that he was hoping the new Jamaica Labour Party (JLP) government would hasten the completion of the Catherine Hall multipurpose stadium, which he said would further enhance the quality of the game in western Jamaica and particularly Montego Bay.

It was recently announced that the contract, valued at over US$10m for the second phase of the construction, was awarded to a Venezuelan entity and work was to start soon.

Burrell said that upon completion the Catherine Hall stadium with its state-of-the-art football field would add to the number of international fields in the island.

The Trelawny facility was completed earlier this year to host practice games and the opening ceremony for the ICC Cricket World Cup but has hosted just one event since then, a reggae concert last weekend.
    Recently Independence Park Limited was named as the agency which would have control of it.

Independence Park Limited also has responsibility for the National Stadium, National Arena, the National Swimming Pool Complex and the National Indoor Sports Centre.

BUSINESS AND FOOTBALL. PaulineRed,president of the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Indust rychats with President of theSt JamesFobl AssociationOr lePowell(centre)
    Last edited by Karl; October 18, 2007, 04:15 PM.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Hey Sickko....would we be able to get a full sized field in that stadium? Or will it be as small as the national stadium? I really believe that our home field is a big disadvantage to us. We have our guys playing all over the world now who play on full sized fields and the small field does not serve our purposes anymore. It would be great if we good get full size pitch with "acres" of space just like the players play on week in and week out. I think that alone would see us have an improved home form. - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

I think so, the 'outfield' I saw at the cricket tournament was quite big, while I see that Burrell is thinking, his announcement on Tuesday might have some political background and this is why I called him up to remind him about the FIFA regulation field at Catherine Hall that also has a world classed surface.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Thanks sickko. Encouraging news. Hopefull between that stadium and Catherine Hall the boyz will be well served. - T.K.

Comment

Just hope they manage to put aside the politics long enough to think about the people who will be served by completing the stadoium at Catherine Hall.

I used to be able to get Clive Mullings (MP for the area) before the elections but I guess with his new responsibilities his constituents will see even less of him than they have in the last five years.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Sickko View Post
            Just hope they manage to put aside the politics long enough to think about the people who will be served by completing the stadoium at Catherine Hall.
            2nd that. - T.K.

Comment

Sickko, how close are the fans from the pitch? Always thought that the cycle track stood as a large buffer between the fans and the pitch at stadium.
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

We would have to see how they configure it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

knowing Burrell,this is possible.

Comment

Burrell has nothing to do with it. The stadium is the stadium!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Burrell is an engineer or a constructioon worker and will haul the field near the fans himself????
                      Che Guevara.

Comment

and according to karl he scores goals and stops them too?

Comment

dont forget he washes gear and hands out towels at the door of the bathroom after games.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

He also cooks all the food served at the concession stands.

Comment

He bakes.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X