• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF, Burrell... conflict of interest?

JFF, Burrell... conflict of interest?

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Dear Editor,
    I write to comment on Captain Horace Burrell's recent return to the presidency of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).
    The issue of conflict of interest has been in the public domain recently, following several government appointments. Captain Burrell's return to the presidency also brings to light this very important issue.

As is widely known, his company - Captain's Bakery - is the main sponsor of the top competition in at least six parish football associations. The voting delegates of the JFF are, for the most part, representatives of the various parish associations.

In a time when funding is hard to come by, is it far-fetched that Captain Burrell's commercial arrangements, which sponsorships are, could serve to wield a huge influence over delegates?

I am not questioning Burrell's commitment to football or what he has done for the sport, neither am I questioning his leadership ability, but this arrangement with a substantial bloc of the JFF's voting population, which may be called on to ratify his decisions, needs to be examined; especially since I am sure that the JFF will be depending on the public purse for assistance as they look to achieve their objectives.

I know I may be raising a very unpopular issue, but this is a clear conflict of interest.
    David Edwards
    Ft Lauderdale
    USA
    Last edited by Karl; November 7, 2007, 11:21 AM.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

David is just bitter. He needs to just sit back and observe the Captain work his magic.

(Subbing for HL.)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Conflict of Interst my Backside. Let corporate Jamaica step up to the plate and start sponsoring the various Parish associations, I am sure captain would gladly step aside. Until then, lets stop being hypocrites, and applaud the man for putting his money where his mouth is.
      President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Another prediction..by February we are gong to hear that this is infact a conflict of interest and FIFA has asked him to withdraw the sponsorship.

And guess what, I think Captain knows this...but he has his mandate now and nothing can stop him...if unnu think the PNP was corrupt unnu nuh see nothing yet.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Hail up David...he used to work with the Gleaner as a sport reporter, went to either Munro or STETHS not sure which and also worked at SuperClubs as a PR manager.
          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Stop the crying Sicko and work with the programme. If FIFA ask Burrell to withdraw his sponsorship, who will be the biggest loser here? If you think its going to be burrell you make a sad mistake. Again, for the moment, lets give the man a hand for putting his money where his heart is...the conflict of interest part is unfortunate
            President of the FACCAC - Fans Againts Clueless Crenston and Cronies (cronies include Mosiah and Sicko)

Comment

Aaah bwoy! Now people a go say is me set him up fi write di letter. For the record, I do not know David!!! Nor do I agree with the content or the tone of his letter, necessarily!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

If Sickko believes Captain Burrell is corrupt then I won't be questioning the Captain's morals. As I see it: some of that same "corrupt" money have gone back in the parish FAs.

Comment

Working...
                X