Barriga wants to coach Reggae Boyz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barriga wants to coach Reggae Boyz

Peruvian coach Danilo Barriga, who last week left National Premier League (NPL) club Reno because of lack of funds, said he has ambitions of coaching the national <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">senior </SPAN><SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">men's</SPAN> side.

Barriga told Star Sports he submitted his r?m?to <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> Football Federation (JFF) President, Crenston Boxhill, on Tuesday and is awaiting an interview.

"He said the application is being processed but I will have to wait since there are other applicants before me," Barriga said yesterday.

"I am looking for a full-time challenging position to transfer my knowledge and improve the skills of Jamaican soccer players." he added.

BOXHILL CONFIRMS

Boxhill, who has been leading the JFF's search for an overseas coach, confirmed that he spoke with Barriga about the job.

"I told him it's open so he is free to send in an application but I am yet to peruse his r?m? said Boxhill.

"I also told him we have already short-listed our candidates but if his r?m?erits an interview I will call him."Boxhill announced last month that he will name a permanent head coach by November 16 to replace interim coach Carl Brown.

Five-year plan

In supporting his case for the coaching job, Barriga said he has a five-year plan to lift the Boyz from their current poor performances. Barriga said it includes implementing discipline, solid technique and, most importantly for him, love.

All techniques

"My first session would be in the morning at 6:45 for one and a half hours and that will be all technique," he said.

"At 4:00 in the afternoon they would run non-stop for 30 or 35 minutes. After that I would have shooting <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 400; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">drills</SPAN> where they would kick the ball in different situations."

Barriga said after focusing on football, the matters of discipline and human compassion comes in.

"When I say 6:45 I mean 6:45 not 6:50 not 6:55. Discipline must be there. However, I would not be too harsh on them because Jamaican players need love. They need a
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Barriga wants to coach Reggae Boyz

Bariga is a trainer and he is yet to prove himself at the local level as a coach first. He abandoned Seba midway the 2002 season and left Reno after one game-that I suggest is not how you go about seeking to be a national coach.

Plus they would also need to hire an interpreter for him as his English is nothing short of horrible, almost as bad as Walter Gama.

I think he would do well as a trainer as he has proven that he can whip any team into decent shape in a short time.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

English is overated... I have seen some coaches get good results without great command of the language. However make him a confed TD..

Comment

If he is a good coach, hire an interpreter. Afterall, it's only Spanish. Some Hampton graduate would more than fit the bill! (Just remember how Courtney used to rave over the Hampton beauties. Sigh.)

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I admire him for that. If you don't get your money - STEP! These clubs did not know where the funding was coming from before they hired him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

is a good thing simoes spoke perfect english!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

A draw mi a go draw cyaad pon im til mi read the part about focusing on technique. Might be a con but from a man a say technique mi a do more than "peruse" the resume because sometimes we are looking for the big name and all you need is a man who pays attention to details and is dedicated to the job to get us headed in the right direction.

I believe there area couple of coachesin Jamaica that can coach the senior team. The expertise needs to be brought in to institute island wide player development. I was bawling for a coach from Argentina and one specific one named Pekerman -from bout 2001 I have been calling that mans name based on the youth teams he was showing up to world tournaments with.Argentina is reallythe country that I think understands national-level youth development more than any other country and thats the country that produces the finest players on the face of the earth - I don't like them but player for player from keeper up to forward no one can match their blend of exquisite technique mental toughness and flair. Pekerman was a big part of that.

But we wait til him turn big ting and want how much million.
              SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

How this Reggae Junior get into this conversation- he he he. You nuh se seh a peer Reggae Five Star General and Reggae Guru inn a dis yah?
                Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                Che Guevara.

Comment

But how man weh a post here fi almost ten years now fi be no type a Junior though eeh sah. A wah kinda cyaad dat Tilla draw pon people?
                  SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

English!:w00t: How many of our local coaches speak english? Also, is english cannot be much worse than the current JFF president.

Comment

We don't need a coach from Brazil, England, Germany, Italy, or peru. We need a coach from Jamaica to manage our Jamaican players. Let's not fall into the Ziko trap coaching Japan it's pathetic, when he was playing for Brazil he was a Brazilian ball of fire, he looked so stupid splitting his loyalty with Japan. Our national coach should be a Jamaican national. love and respect

Comment

Working...
                      X