• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Academy attracts review committee

Football Academy attracts review committee
    Garfield Myers
    Sunday, December 23, 2007

Santa Cruz, St Elizabeth - The Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has set up a five-man committee to be chaired by second vice-president Bruce Gaynor to review "all aspects" of the incomplete multi-million dollar Football Academy at Malvern and to provide a report to the Board of Directors by January 31.
    Following a JFF directors meeting at the Appleton Sugar estate yesterday, president Captain Horace Burrell said the directors had opted for the committee after expressing extreme concern about the facility which was shifted to Munro from Portmore by the previous Creston Boxhill-led administration.
    Burrell said directors were "still not clear as to the concept for the current site based on location, design and availability of fields".
    Also, he said, "Board members expressed grave concern about the maintenance of the facility."
    As currently designed, the residential side of the facility is located at Munro Villas - property bought by the JFF directly opposite to Munro College - while fields are to be donated by Munro.
    Responding to questions from journalists, Burrell estimated that another $60 million would be needed to make the facility "habitable" as a training camp for "youngsters".
    He stressed the original concept for the project as outlined by his administration in 2003 was for "a home for national teams to conduct training going into international games, also a centre to train referees and administrators and to have this as close as possible to the main playing venue, the National Stadium."
    Burrell said the "concept was changed by the previous administration as what is now being established can only operate as a training camp for youngsters."
    He argued that as currently designed, the facility would be inadequate as a training camp for "professional footballers".
    JFF treasurer Garfield Sinclair said $34.9 million had so far been spent on the project, firstly to buy the Munro Villas property housing an unfinished residential area at a cost of $23.3 million.
    The remainder of the money has gone to the incomplete construction project. Football's world governing body, FIFA, has provided $32.3 million through its GOAL project and its Football Assistance Programme.
    Burrell said the five-man committee will be asked to "establish practical uses for the site (at Munro), whether it be a training camp for youth or training camp for national senior teams".
    Additionally, the committee "will define the concept; will advance discussions with Dickenson Trust (which controls Munro College lands) for lands to establish necessary playing fields.
    Thirdly, the committee has been asked to establish the true value of the property in its current state. It will also recommend a maintenance programme including source of funding for the same."
    Gaynor apart, the committee comprises Carvel Stewart who has up to now been the JFF's project supervisor, Courtney Brown, president of the St Elizabeth FA, Orville Powell, a member of the Finance Committee, and former JFF president Tony James, who will serve in his capacity as chairman of JFF sub committee on youth development.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

This is leadership captain Burrell
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I think both administration have some minor problems

Regarding the football academy I think both administration seems to have miss the point of what a academy should be.

Comment

Football academy

I think both administration is missing the point of the academy but I will give Burrell the edge on this one.

Boxhill had the right idea of what a academy is but financially make the wrong decision.

Burrell have the wrong idea about the academy but financially was right.

A senoir national training centre is different than a academy which should be used for youth development .

What really surprise me is Fifa say on all these matters because they are the one who really want the sport to developed in jamaica...or do they really want it to developed?

The way I see it is that we need independent smart minded people who have the nation interest at hand and want to see football developed in jamaica before we lose all this money that fifa is willing to donate.

I will give Burrell the edge on this one because we could have an all inclusive academy with national training centre as one of the amenities and thus portmore with the free land if still available is the best choice.

Questions that need to be addressed.

1. What will we do with this location in munro as it is now.

2. Will we get the rest of the money from fifa if this academy is relocated?

3. How long will it takes to get the academy finish in portmore if relocated?

4. How much more money would it cost J.F.F /government to complete this academy in portmore.

Comment

5. Can J.f.f afford to maintain both location is used for whatever reason.

6. Can J.f.f sell this location at munro to private entity....

Comment

Originally posted by No Mercy View Post
            I think both administration is missing the point of the academy but I will give Burrell the edge on this one.

Boxhill had the right idea of what a academy is but financially make the wrong decision.

Burrell have the wrong idea about the academy but financially was right.

A senoir national training centre is different than a academy which should be used for youth development .

Academy = the school for advanced education

So...Burrell's concept was a "the school for advanced education" for young footballers, referees, coaches, administrators and national football teams!

Boxhill's concept appeared to be " the school for advanced education" for young footballers!

The difference is as plain as day. Which one can Jamaica afford?

Aside: In England "The FA" has decided to go with Burrell's concept. In England it is assumed that where "the school for advanced education" for young footballers is concerned there shall be supplemental "academies" at the very many football clubs.

Note: It must be assumed that in Jamaica our National Premier League Clubs will...over time...develop in cooperation with their youth programs viable academies to supplement our JFF's Academy Youth Development Program.

NB: Everyone on this site 'dun kno dat' I believe Jamaica and our JFF cannot afford to not develop an academy off the Burrell model. In fact, I have already stated more than once that creating an academy for youth only is a waste of time, money and other resources and NONSENSE policy...as the entire Island stands to gain greater benefit from the Burrell multi-purpose model than it would from the Boxhill's youth players only model!
            Last edited by Karl; December 23, 2007, 03:46 PM.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Considering there is not building waiting in Portmore why dont we fix the design in malvern to accomodate. The issue of distance is moot.

Comment

Well people have concerns and one legitimate one which I asked in the inital stage that was not answered is where is the funds coming from to run this academy?

Comment

As I said before, I remember when Burrell was in power, the decision was to build a national training center for the national teams. This was also necessary when you consider that for the most part, players were housed in a house off Shortwood Rd. From what is understood, this was a totally inadequate setting used to serve the needs of th national teams.

When the Boxhill admin came in, the what was needed changed from national training center to a football academy to groom the young.

Not to take sides here, I think both facilities are needed. The question is, which comes first? I would vote for the national training center as we are still left with housing a bunch of players in a rented house at Shortwood Rd. The facility should not be too far from Kingston either, because as much as many do not think distance is a problem, the cost of transporting the players from the airports, to Munro and back to Kingston for games at the National Stadium has to be absorbed by some entity. The shorter commute distance makes for more cost effective arrangement.

I see where OJ is saying that the distance is not an issue. My question is, how do you account for the costs associated with moving players and other personell across this distance? At the prevailing cost of gasoline, I do not see how some can think this is not an issue.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                    As I said before, I remember when Burrell was in power, the decision was to build a national training center for the national teams. This was also necessary when you consider that for the most part, players were housed in a house off Shortwood Rd. From what is understood, this was a totally inadequate setting used to serve the needs of th national teams.

When the Boxhill admin came in, the what was needed changed from national training center to a football academy to groom the young.

Not to take sides here, I think both facilities are needed. The question is, which comes first? I would vote for the national training center as we are still left with housing a bunch of players in a rented house at Shortwood Rd. The facility should not be too far from Kingston either, because as much as many do not think distance is a problem, the cost of transporting the players from the airports, to Munro and back to Kingston for games at the National Stadium has to be absorbed by some entity. The shorter commute distance makes for more cost effective arrangement.

I see where OJ is saying that the distance is not an issue. My question is, how do you account for the costs associated with moving players and other personell across this distance? At the prevailing cost of gasoline, I do not see how some can think this is not an issue.
                    Like you I find it amazing that 'costs' have no bearing in some posters minds.

...then there are others who care not a fig of "total cost". The argument goes somewhat like this - if "x" dollars where already paid in or invested in a venture, it matters not if an alternative path to reaching goals at a cost of say 3 times "x" is available...

...do not go there!

... even if the item or venture would, if the original path was followed, cost 50 times "x" dollars that original path where "x" dollars are already paid in or invested must be followed.

The saying is - 'ediat ting fi save (50 times "x") - (3 times "x")!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

HUH?!?

How yuh neva tell mi yuh have di Captain email?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                        Boxhill's concept appeared to be " the school for advanced education" for young footballers!

Where yuh get this quote from? If it is not a quote and only your opinion, why is it in quotes?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The issue is not distance if you are looking at what an academy is. Most of the time spent at the academy will not be related to going to the national stadium. Its would be a place for player/coaches and administration dev. If we are talking about housing player then thats different and I can easily argue that your ROI of building a structure to house player while in short competion is not prudent. You are better off getting 22 hotel rooms at a long term discount. I dont think that is hard to do in kingston. So what are we talking about here? lets look at scenarios.

Playes in to play a qualifying game: They go to the Malvern for 4 days break camp and go to Kingston>. Hotel Stay > train at Ntl stadium the day before and game. Long term residency is at the academy. Thats how it works all over the world.

Comment

karl the only thing that matter to you is family links. nothing to do with common sense.

Comment

Karl, please elaborate.

Seems like Mosiah missed your "extremely"... hence.... "valid" point on the importance of "the X" factor.

Break it down please in more datail.

Thanks in advance

Let me see: Academy = school of .... + X (am I right mass Karl)

Solving for hex.....
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X