Football Pitches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Football Pitches

I marvel at the quality pitches that temporate countries have. It's obvious they breed special grasses for the purpose.

Apart from the special grasses--caring for football fields seems to be a profession...just like landscaping. Grounds men can be seen manicuring and replacing uprooted sod during half-time......

I like the patterns they cut into some pitches.

Are there any football pitches in Jamaica that are comparable to the ones we see on TV? Afterall, with the tropical climate and abundance of water, that combination make for lush fields.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Northern Grass Is Different

HL,

In the northern US, athletic fields consist of rye or bluegrass. In the southern US, athletic fields are Bermuda grass. In Africa and Australia,
    the grass of choice is called kikuyu.

Bermuda and kikuyu are a coarser type of grass which stands up better to
    heavy traffic (i.e. soccer fields, especially the goal mouths) than rye or bluegrass. The downside is that Bermuda grows dormant during the US winter in the southern USA and turns yellow. Bermuda grass will not survive winter in the northern USA. In the southern USA, many Bermuda grass fields are overseeded with rye or bluegrass for the winter to maintain a green color.

I would dare say that the groundskeeping budget for an English Premier League stadium with natural grass could very well exceed the budget for
    the main facilities for each of the 14 parishes combined. I would also dare say that the goal mouths and 18-yard boxes of EPL stadiums are re-sodded a few times per year.

To mow an artistic pattern into a soccer pitch, or baseball field, requires a great deal of planning, manpower, and sophisticated equipment.

Comment

Interesting insights Bruce.
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        I marvel at the quality pitches that temporate countries have. It's obvious they breed special grasses for the purpose.

Apart from the special grasses--caring for football fields seems to be a profession...just like landscaping. Grounds men can be seen manicuring and replacing uprooted sod during half-time......

I like the patterns they cut into some pitches.

Are there any football pitches in Jamaica that are comparable to the ones we see on TV? Afterall, with the tropical climate and abundance of water, that combination make for lush fields.
        Yup!
        Professional care is vital!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Ah well I suspected something like
          this all along.Seeing that you mentioned budget, planning, manpower and sophisticated equipment; I really don't know. I am the Eternal learner and someone may come and say Jawge we have that in Ja wha do yuh?

I'm waiting to know from the yaad crew if the above mentioned by Bruce is possible. I am clearly out of my scope on this one.

Comment

I marvel at the quality guns that the USA manufactures and exports. It obvious they produce these guns for the destruction of young democracies like Jamaica.

This is certainly big business as the US government does not take any steps whatsoever to try and curtail their export to poor countries that do not have the resources to keep them out.

Are there any gun manufacturers in Jamaica that compare with those in the USA? Afterall, with the abundance of shottas here you would think that a few of them could start something.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
              I am clearly out of my scope on this one.
              This one?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What does this have to do with
                the football pitches? Did UWI or CAST ever offer INTEL a proposal for a super clean room? Raise the level mo.

Comment

"Did UWI or CAST ever offer INTEL a proposal for a super clean room?"

To play table football?! I doubt it. Why would it have to be super clean?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

same thing wid di gun argument.

It's okay, I guess it's the Us fault.

Comment

bruce made some interesting and good points about grass... my neighbor has the bermuda grass which turns real yellow in the fall and winter...

i know a thing or two about grass and landscaping... did quite a bit while in college... met with the fenway park folks a few times too... the patterns are not difficult but takes experience and planning... almost any industrial mower will do... the effect is achieved by sweeping and rolling the grass in the desired direction...

like bruce said, the budget for the maintenance of these fields is without doubt more than all the clubs in jamaica combined... manpower to identify and replace uprooted sod constantly, fertilizing, adding pesticides, mowing and changing patterns... its everyday, throughout the year... not cheap...
                      Last edited by Baddaz; December 24, 2007, 11:47 AM.
                      'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

lol... mo... mi rate yuh king son... luv it... btw, a politician said recently that we cannot compare jamaica with the usa (and other developed countries)... totally agree... too many of us who live in the usa and other developed countries try to make that comparison far too often and in too many areas... certainly, in some cases jamaica can and should be on a comparable level but it is unrealistic to expect on all levels, especially those that require capital outlays without a satisfactory roi...

nutten beat a tastee patty, still...
                        'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

So bad one, yuh
                          tink wi up to it boss? Well a man did say catherine hall can host Wc games (mussi it mek dem tek up di grass carry go stadium). Mi really nuh know but mi would ah like fi see Ja pull off dat (well kept grass for games).

Comment

HL was just trying to diss. There a million things that can be undertaken in the USA that Jamaica would struggle with, but we forge ahead despite all the odds. I am happy to be a part of that struggle.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thank you! if only HL would realise that he looks worse than any picture he could paint of Jamaica when he carries on like that.

He wimped out and is still bitter about it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X