Downswell takes lead in Reno's bid for revival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downswell takes lead in Reno's bid for revival

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Downswell takes lead in Reno's bid for revival</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline></SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>KAYON RAYNOR, Observer staff reporter
    Thursday, September 28, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=134 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>DOWNSWELL... I will help to get Reno back on solid financial footing</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>JUST under two months after resigning as national technical director, Wendell Downswell is looking to chart the way forward for cash-strapped Premier League side Reno FC.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Last Sunday, Downswell assumed the role of head coach for the three-time champions, filling the void left by Peruvian Danilo Bariga, who severed ties with the Westmoreland team two weeks ago due to financial reasons.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Downswell - a long-standing shareholder of Reno - told the Observer that his first order of business will be getting the club back in firm financial standing.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"The fact that I'm available just now, I will lend some assistance as it relates to that to sort of get the club back on a solid financial footing.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"My aim is to get the team much more competitive, wherein we can probably look at somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 spectators on a regular basis, so the club will be able to get some earning and be able to foot their bills and have some money in their account," Downswell said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I don't think its an improbable task because I believe the players are fully focussed, as are the executive... and the Westmoreland people, who are rallying behind the team,"
    Reno president Ransford Malcolm told the Observer that Downswell is basically working for free.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"Based on what we're working on... we should be able to discuss financial arrangements (with Downswell) within another couple of weeks, but definitely before the end of October," Malcolm said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Downswell, who guided Jamaica to the Digicel Caribbean Cup title last season, is confident the club will return to its glory days.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I think the present executive body headed by Mr Malcolm is moving in the right direction in terms of their approach for the club itself, and I believe they need the necessary support if they are to fulfil their goals... for the club," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Two weeks ago Malcolm confirmed that the decision to split company with Bariga was a "business decision" after pledges to the club to take care of the coach's salary did not materialise.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He said a number of business people in and around the parish had given commitments but had failed for a number of reasons to deliver on their promise.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Malcolm, a number of individuals who had made promises told them that "business was not going as well as they expected", and so they weren't able to make good on their promises.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Bariga, who also had a short stint with Seba United in the 2002 season, guided Reno to a 2-0 win over Village United in their opening Wray &amp; Nephew National Premier League game after two months in charge.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Former national goalkeeper Aaron Lawrence, who was Bariga's assistant, led the club in their second game - a 1-0 win over Wadadah, before Downswell took over the reigns for their 2-1 away defeat against Harbour View last Sunday.
    "We lost to Harbour View, which is the No 2 ranked team in the island... we're disappointed.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Downswell takes lead in Reno's bid for revival

What a controversy(Reno)!

Anyway, he had to retire because the JFF lacks "stick-to-it-ness". The cute little article written by their marketing manager in which she professed unrelenting support for the junior boyz failed to mention pulling the rug from beneath their feet once they reach the senior team.Who will CB buss from yard?

Is CB like wine insomuch that he too gets better stored?

CB needs to follow Wendell's paradigm.

Blessed

Comment

Working...
    X