X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dated! - CONCACAF groups take shape

CONCACAF groups take shape

(FIFA.com) Monday 17 December 2007

On Sunday last, the draw was made for the three groups that will form the penultimate round of qualifying in the North, Central American and Caribbean Zone for the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. FIFA General Secretary Jerome Valcke was given the task of announcing the group participants, who will consist of the winners of the two-legged second preliminary round fixtures.

Group A
    If logic prevails and the USA beat the winner of Dominica and Barbados, the Stars and Stripes will have a testing start to their Group A campaign with trips to Guatemala and Cuba in their opening two games. Of course, this is assuming the aforementioned duo get past their still-to-be-decided opponents in their second-round fixtures.

Cuba would seem to have the more favourable draw, with the islanders scheduled to play their opening two games in Havana should they progress. However, nothing will be taken for granted, as their visitors will in all probability be the USA and Trinidad and Tobago, two sides who went all the way to Germany 2006.

Group B
    The match schedule in what many consider to be the toughest group appears to have been kind to favourites Mexico. If they win their second-round tie, Hugo Sanchez's side will enjoy home advantage in three of their opening four fixtures, with only one away trip - possibly to Jamaica - on matchday 2 to worry about.

The winner of Canada and St. Vincent and the Grenadines will also have an auspicious start to the group, with home advantage guaranteed in their opening two games. In contrast, the group's other two probable participants, Honduras, away for their opening two games, and Jamaica, away for three of their first four, look to have drawn the shortest straws.

Group C
    If, as expected, the much-fancied Costa Ricans progress to the group stages, they will be playing their opening two group games in San Jose's Estadio Ricardo Saprissa. However, there will be no gentle introductions for fans of the Ticos, with no less a side than Panama likely to provide the opposition in their first group game.

For their part, the Canaleros will have a tough start if they make it that far, with three of their first four games to be played on the road. However, if they are still in the mix after those four fixtures, Panama will fancy their chances of making the final round thanks to home advantage in their last two games.

With last Sunday's draw out of the way, the region's sides now have a clear picture of what stands between them and the final qualifying round in 2009. Of course, no one has yet secured their place in the first group phase and, in a region where the competition between sides seems to be intensifying all the times, do not rule out a surprise or two on the long road to South Africa.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Tough, huh?!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

karl you are worried

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
        karl you are worried
        Our best team has only had two matches!
        ...against, what is in my opinion inferior teams...i.e. teams nowhere near good!!!

How then can I expect our team to be good come late 2008-early 2009?
        There shall be Mexico, Honduras...then Costa Rica and the USA? ...and, if by the grace of God we make it past CONCACAF qualifiers - there shall be TOP OF THE WORLD TEAMs at the World Cup! What????...are we then going to the World Cup to make asses of ourselves? ...or, are we going to walk like men with the very best in the World?

Let us face facts - I just watched the Argentina and Coatia matches from the '98 World Cup...(I'll watch the Japan match sometime next week)...and, except in very small...very, very small periods of each match...we looked like complete novices. Babes to professionals! We looked like we had no clue about the game!

Are we attempting to return to the World Cup 12 years later to show we have not learnt one thing? We are just 'dummies'...incapable of learning through a 12 year stretch? We are not anywhere near qualifying...yet, I am hurting...embarrassed by what I am seeing of our post-'98 teams.

Let me put it in a context we can all relate - It is, for example, like seeing a high school student resitting 'O' levels or 'A' levels and getting the same failure result! Can the earth open and swallow him/her...is the feeling I am afraid of getting on seeing my Reggae Boyz at any stage as they move on.

We should be capable of putting a TEAM on the field that can walk with any of the World's best! We have had 12 years to prepare! We have had 12 years for our JFF technical team to review matches...look at players...look at programs of the top 10 World TEAMs/counties and KNOW what it takes of themselves, our players and TEAMs to walk at the TOP OF THE WORLD! ...are we just dummies?

...and, with due respect I care not two figs if Haiti and Cuba have made asses of selves after their visits to the World Cup! ...or, if Trinidad and Tobago shall make an ass of self in this campaign. I care only about my REGGAE BOYZ! We have formed the ass in 2002 and 2006...we should not be doing it again!

Some of my fellow forumites are obviously satisfied with the 'crap' we put on the field against Guatemala and El Salvador...as they see us as less 'crappy' than those two teams...but, what is the point of 'crap' beating 'crap'? Is that where we want to be...'crap'?
        I hope to God - NO!

I want Germany type TEAM play! Argentina type TEAM play! Brazil type TEAM play! Sure we are not any of those in personality or way of expressing self...but, that type togetherness and efficiency on the field MUST BE THE GOAL! Why not even Croatia or Japan-like in TEAM play? They were in our group at the World Cup in 1998....are their players smarter and or more athletic than our players? Again are we when compared with those men - FOOLS?

Well if as a people we are not...why then can we not play as they do? They put on their boots, one foot at a time as we do!
        Right?!

I know individually we have the intellect. I know individually we have the athletic ability! I know we have the "performing seals"! So why not as a unit we cannot present TEAM as those men do?

Is it our JFF leaders who are the dumb ones? Is it those who would select our players and thus TEAMs who are the asses?

Matters not where the fault lies it shall not take away the feeling of 'failure' I shall be having if we do not put on the field TOP OF THE WORLD aggregation! ...as I said I care not two figs if there are 197 other TEAMs/nations in the World who are less than TOP OF THE WORLD...I take no comfort in being numbered among them!
        Last edited by Karl; December 28, 2007, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Wha you saying that Jamaica should be among elite footballing nations!! well you better check your health .... cause simones and burrel are not messiahs... expect disappointment

Comment

Wha you saying that Jamaica should be among elite footballing nations!! well you better check your health .... cause simones and burrel are not messiahs... expect disappointment

NO NO NO! Naminirt disagree with you they are not messiahs but look pon King Fuller Stew peas Pepe Nosworthy di man dem a dun di place a England ....

Comment

dem ah only 4 players wha bout the rest ? plus Dat dont say anything !! are you saying that Mexcio canada and honduras are not capable of beating JA !!!..

Look here pepsi as far as i see it Jamacia playing canada first away mexico 2nd at home honduras away 3rd and then mexico away is pressure best of luck.....

Comment

mi tiyad...whew!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

dem ah only 4 players wha bout the rest ? plus Dat dont say anything !! are you saying that Mexcio canada and honduras are not capable of beating JA !!!..

Look here pepsi as far as i see it Jamacia playing canada first away mexico 2nd at home honduras away 3rd and then mexico away is pressure best of luck.....
                  Naminirt I am only focusing on Jamaica in Canada Not the rest.Come on my fellow Caribbean Man cheer on,I will do the same for T&T.The others Simoes will decide.

Comment

suh whey yuh wa'an wi duh? :Cry: ?

wi have games to play! dat is one of the MAJOR differences between unnuh and us...we are like the nike commercial..."just do it" and unnuh come een like the canon commercial "image, is everything"!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Pepsi View Post
                      Naminirt I am only focusing on Jamaica in Canada Not the rest.Come on my fellow Caribbean Man cheer on,I will do the same for T&T.The others Simoes will decide.
                      yeah but canada going all out this time big man .... best of luck !!

Comment

yeah but canada going all out this time big man .... best of luck !!
                        Jamaica ago all out to ....Naminirt Naminirt Naminirt yu nau guh see Canada beat Jamaica memba dat!!!

Comment

ok bredda but dont rule out anything

Comment

ok bredda but dont rule out anything

Naminirt Jamaica will be getting 4-6 points from Canada Memba dat!.

Comment

and how much from mexico

Comment

Working...
                              X