X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a team that can win the cup?

Only 10 Bafana players have 'double figure' caps
    January 09, 2008, 15:15

Only 10 out of the 23 players selected for this year's African Cup of Nations tournament in Ghana have accumulated double figures in terms of national caps.

Three of these are still to make their debut in the senior national team. Of the entire squad, only six have played more that 20 times each for Bafana Bafana. Captain Aaron Mokoena and Vice-captain Sibusiso Zuma have more than 50 caps each. Although they have impressed at junior level - Excellent Walaza, Itumeleng Khune, and Tumelo Nhlapho - still have to don a Bafana Bafana jersey.

Only a few in the current squad have the experience of playing international football. Playing away from home always presents its own challenges but the young players believe they are up to the task. Following the withdrawal through injury of Mamelodi Sundowns defender, Vuyo Mere - Ajax Cape Town defender Bryce Moon (22) relishes the chance of being in the starting line-up. Moon, who has only two Bafana Bafana caps, says they are aiming high.

Another relative newcomer is Moroka Swallows defender Bevan Fransman with six caps at only 24 years. Fransman says if Bafana Bafana win their first group match this will help ease the pressure and they must take it one game at a time. First choice goalkeeper Rowen Fernandez is among the "senior citizens" at 28 years. He has 17 caps and says he believes the young players are well aware of what the country expects from them. The German-based goalminder adds that no one expects South Africa to win the tournament but they can pull a few surprises along the way. Bafana Bafana are in the same group with Angola, Tunisia, and Senegal.

Good news for Bafana Bafana is that all players are already in camp including England-based midfielder Steven Pienaar. The team plays two friendlies against Mozambique and Botswana in Durban before heading for Ghana.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

nope. but they have a clever coach.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
      nope. but they have a clever coach.
      I'm wondering if he is thinking of having them ready for 2010. I've noticed that ever since the team was named late last year, Benny McCarthy's performance has fallen off. I'm wondering if his omission is on his mind.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Brethren name nuh win nothing. Regardless a which club dem play fa.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Brethren name nuh win nothing. Regardless a which club dem play fa.
          Sass ... how in the name of anything that is righteous you come up with this?

Comment

Working...
          X