X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gilberto expects to sink Spurs(AFP) Thursday 10 January 2008

Gilberto expects to sink Spurs

(AFP) Thursday 10 January 2008

Gilberto Silva believes Arsenal are in pole position to reach the League Cup final because Tottenham Hotspur have a mental block when they face Arsene Wenger's team. The Gunners are unbeaten in 21 matches against their north London rivals after Theo Walcott's late goal rescued a 1-1 draw in the League Cup semi-final, first leg on Wednesday.

It is nine years since Spurs last savoured a victory over the old enemy and Gilberto suspects the pressure of ending that barren run is starting to affect Juande Ramos's side. They were only 11 minutes from finally getting the better of Arsenal but could not see it through, leaving Gilberto in confident mood ahead of the second leg at White Hart Lane on 22 January.

"Maybe it does affect them psychologically. It is hard when you face a team and have not beaten them for a long time," Gilberto said. "So it is important for us in these types of games to be mentally strong, because if you let things happen, they can take advantage of it.

"It was not the result we wanted, but to get a draw was important and okay in the circumstances, being 1-0 down against a good side. Now we have a good chance in the second leg to decide our future."

Gilberto has been consigned to the bench for long spells this season after losing his place to Mathieu Flamini. It is a significant fall from grace for the Brazil midfielder, who was Arsenal's captain for much of last year.

Although he was back in the team against Spurs, Philippe Senderos was given the captain's armband. Gilberto, who has been linked with a move to Juventus, insisted the captaincy snub had not increased his desire to leave.

"It was not a surprise," he said. "This has been like this in other games I have played. I am doing my job, trying to help when I have a chance to play. This is what I have in mind, to get back in the team and I hope I can achieve that as soon as possible.

"But I know the team is playing well and so are the guys in my position, especially Mathieu. It has been quite bad for me to look at Arsenal playing so well from the bench, but I try to be very positive every day at the training ground and to fight.

"At the moment, I prefer not to think about moving and to fight for my position."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

How on earth these officials miss these offside goals

I must be blind or something..

Comment

Working...
    X