Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keegan in shock return

Keegan in shock Newcastle return

Newcastle have confirmed that Kevin Keegan will make a dramatic return to manage the club.
    The 56-year-old former Manchester City boss managed the Magpies from 1992 to 1997 and will return to St James' Park as Sam Allardyce's successor.
    Gerard Houllier and Didier Deschamps were strongly linked with the position in the last two days but the club unexpectedly turned to Keegan.
    He was initially linked only with a partnership role with Alan Shearer.
    The ex-England coach was running his "Soccer Circus" in Glasgow after quitting his job at City in March 2005.
    He was also linked with a return to the club last summer as director of football following Mike Ashley's takeover.
    606: DEBATE
    Give your reaction to Keegan's return

Keegan told BBC Sport in October that he was unlikely to manage a team again.
    But he returns to Newcastle, having said on Monday: "I'm not ruling myself out or in. It's a club I love, everyone knows that."
    Keegan took Newcastle to promotion back to the top flight in 1993 and came close to winning the league title in the 1995-96 season when they led Manchester United by 12 points before finishing as runners up. He went on to manage Fulham, England and Manchester City but has not managed again since leaving City. Harry Redknapp had been first choice for Ashley and chairman Chris Mort but he last week opted to stay at Portsmouth.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

In to the frying pan! Those Newcastle fans are delusional thinking that they have a big club. This club has not won a trophy in 50 years!
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Tough job!
      The squad lacks belief and the efforts given by players is anaemic!
      Sorry bunch...feeling sorry for selves! That's a terrible state to be in!

Yet they have players with proven quality? Go figure?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I expect him to be fired in less than 1 year.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          I expect him to be fired in less than 1 year.
          Don't know about that, he could play and played passing football....so he could 'light a fire under' this lot and get them to play up to their potential?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

good luck . He is one of the few english man I rate has a baller.

Comment

Why do we believe good players make better coaches? How good was Arsene Wenger? How good was Sir Alex? How good was Rene Simoes? How good was Guus Hiddink? Admiral Bailey?

On the other hand, what kinda results did the really good players have? Ruud Gullit? Johan Cruff? Franz Beckenbauer? How did Keegan do in his others stints as coach?

Sorry for all these questions but sometimes I think we need to take a step back and listen to ourselves. I put it to you that our best coaches were not great players. And what's more, coaches rarely get their players to play like them, because we have heard all this crap about Tappa transforming the Reggae Boyz into some killer passing team. Funny thing when Tappa was known more for his dribbling than his passing.

If Keegan is going to have success it will be because he can coach, not because he used to play well almost 35 years ago! Don't remember him playing any passing football either!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
              X