X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenwyne Jones is best forward in league, says Roy Keane

January 19, 2008

George Caulkin

Roy Keane has described Kenwyne Jones as the most accomplished centre forward operating in English football. The Trinidad & Tobago player has been an inspirational figure for Sunderland since his transfer from Southampton last August, scoring five league goals for a team who have been threatened by relegation; his manager values him at £40 million.

Last weekend’s 2-0 victory over Portsmouth at the Stadium of Light was a case in point, when Sol Campbell and Sylvain Distin were driven to distraction by the strength, pace and aerial ability of the 23-year-old. While Keane has dismissed the notion that Sunderland would contemplate selling Jones, the manager is aware that his performances have been noted.

He is also a powerful counter-argument to those who say that Keane, who spent £36 million last summer, has demonstrated little nous when it comes to buying players. “We paid £6 million for Kenwyne and, to me, he’s the best striker in the Premier League, no doubt,” he said. “There have been no inquiries for him and we wouldn’t be looking to sell him, anyway.

“If certain strikers are worth £20 million, then he is worth £40 million and I would not swap him. Of course the big clubs are looking at him. He did well against [Manchester] United and Arsenal and they wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they weren’t looking.

“The most important thing about him is that he’s always putting in a big shift, whereas many forwards are selfish. But I believe we can match his ambitions. He has to plug in to where we want to go. I knew if he came to this club it would kick him on to the next level.”

Ross Wallace, the winger, has been ruled out for the remainder of the season with a knee injury, while Danny Higginbotham, the centre half, will be absent for up to six weeks after undergoing surgery on a broken toe.

From The Times
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Not sure if he is the best in the league, but he is a pretty damn good striker in my book.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

It does not pain me to say this (since he is a Trini), but I know talent when I see it. On current form (let me repeat this so that my qualification is clear), on current form, Jones is the 2nd best striker in CONCACAF, behind David Suazo of Inter Milan. I believe Fuller and King, on current form, are not as good, but that can change. Jones will be dangerous and one to mark closely when Jamaica plays Trinidad.

Comment

Jones is the best forward in the league...

For Sunderland.

Comment

Roy keane can talk all the talk him waan talk. That still won't make Jones the best foward in the EPL. Jones is young and good which means he has the potential to stake claim to be one of the all time greats in English football, but let's not crown him just yet, mek the man continue to earn his place before we annoint him. One more thing, he is not yet as good as Fuller. Some of you might say he has more goals on the prem. than Fuller had, but then you would be disregarding the fact that Fuller was still overcoming an injury and was being asked to play the loan striker. No comparison.

Comment

Roy keane can talk all the talk him waan talk. That still won't make Jones the best foward in the EPL. Jones is young and good which means he has the potential to stake claim to be one of the all time greats in English football, but let's not crown him just yet, mek the man continue to earn his place before we annoint him. One more thing, he is not yet as good as Fuller. Some of you might say he has more goals on the prem. than Fuller had, but then you would be disregarding the fact that Fuller was still overcoming an injury and was being asked to play the loan striker. No comparison.

Comment

A wha league Torres, Ronaldo, Drogba and Berbetov a play inna?

Keane think him still deh a D1?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Ddread look the facts
                Jones plays as a lone striker
                fuller was on a play and pay contract
                fuller made 31 apperance in the epl 13 start 18 subs , 1 start 1 sub in the fa cup and 3 start i sub in the league cup!! and was was ruff up in a few epl games..
                Let jones learn the develop his game and forget liverpoool and chelsea... and all them rumours..roy is just saying he got a good deal

Comment

Originally posted by Naminirt View Post
                  Ddread look the facts
                  Jones plays as a lone striker
                  fuller was on a play and pay contract
                  fuller made 31 apperance in the epl 13 start 18 subs , 1 start 1 sub in the fa cup and 3 start i sub in the league cup!! and was was ruff up in a few epl games..
                  Let jones learn the develop his game and forget liverpoool and chelsea... and all them rumours..roy is just saying he got a good deal
                  I have nothing but love and appreciation for Jones, I was even endorsing him when both him and Fuller were at Southampton. Still, it is his first year and he is showing signs of greatness....all I'm saying is give the man the opportunity to build his CV before we say he is the best. As I have said before it is not a fair comparison of Fuller's stint in the epl to Jone's current adventure as Fuller was recovering from injury.

Comment

On another note: Dwight York does quite well in mid-feel for his age.

Roy Keane seems to have faith on tyiad leg Cole also.
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

The man must get couple slam from the trini girls that him a

Yorke use to hang with. Jones is good player but he is not the best striker in the league. One thing I noticed is that he is looking stronger each game. Seems like he is taking care of body and doing a lot of weight training unlike our players who easily fall over when man touch them.

Comment

Originally posted by No Mercy View Post
                        Yorke use to hang with. Jones is good player but he is not the best striker in the league. One thing I noticed is that he is looking stronger each game. Seems like he is taking care of body and doing a lot of weight training unlike our players who easily fall over when man touch them.
                        Jones is actually playing worse than 4/5 matches ago. He was then greater TEAMplayer...now he often gives away the ball by too often trying to keep it for himself. The result is he gets less chances at goal!

...having said that he is strong...not slow, not bad technically and shoots (head and foot) well...very well!

...and, Keane must have been speaking of Jones' potential!
                        Last edited by Karl; January 21, 2008, 01:07 PM.
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

must...because i would to know why the best forward not leading the league in goalscoring? that is what forwards do!

i will say this, he is VERY strong in the air, on the week-end adebayor showed how to make it count!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            must...because i would to know why the best forward not leading the league in goalscoring? that is what forwards do!

i will say this, he is VERY strong in the air, on the week-end adebayor showed how to make it count!
                            Yuh seit...tuh!
                            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

What a salesman. This is a not so subtle message that Jones is for sale for the right price.

Comment

Working...
                              X