• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoring ace itching for another chance

Scoring ace itching for another chance
    published: Saturday | January 19, 2008

Keisha Hill, Staff Reporter

Roen Nelson
    Diminutive in stature, it is not difficult for you to lose sight of this player on the field. Not for long, though, as star striker Roen Nelson is sure to make his presence known.
    Regularly, this prolific goalscorer has put in star-studded performances which have contributed to numerous wins, which has brought him much acclaim.
    Nelson, who recently returned to the island after a successful four-year stint with Trinidadian team, Joe Public, is hoping to catch the eye of technical director Rene Simoes, as he seeks to represent Jamaica at the senior level in the World Cup qualifying campaign and, hopefully, the World Cup Finals in South Africa in 2010.
    Best performance
    "I will keep working each [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]game[/COLOR][/COLOR] and do my job and it is up to the coach to do his job. My job means giving the best performance in each game I play. If I can't score then I will try and assist the team some other way, but my main aim is to score goals," said Nelson, who rattled up four goals for a 5-1 Portmore United [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Cash [COLOR=orange! important]Plus[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] Premier League victory over August Town on Sunday, in his first game since returning from Trinidad and Tobago. Nelson has been hailed for his prolific scoring that helped Joe Public [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]land[/COLOR][/COLOR] the 2006 Trinidad and Tobago Professional League title. During this time he scored close to 115 goals. The former Dunoon Technical striker has netted close to 400 or more goals in his lifetime of 27 years.
    Nelson, who came to light at the Under-17 level, scored 31 goals in the 1998 season of the Manning Cup, leading Dunoon to their lone title.
    The striker indicates that he takes football seriously and endeavours throughout his career to do the best for his team.
    "Football is not only sports but also a job for me. I get a living from it right now. I have responsibilities so every time I play I have to go out there and do my job and move forward in faith," he said. "Over the last few years I played for the national team, but I was out of the squad for a while. I feel this is my chance again that I can get back on the national team and get some goals for my country. I am more mature and experienced because I have been playing outside for a while, been travelling and getting more exposure, so while the opportunity is here I will make use of it," he added.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Local reporters tend to make lite of the term 'star'.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

"During this time he scored close to 115 goals."

Nami how you can say the man nuh mash up Trinidad?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
      X