England - McClaren: The quiet revolutionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England - McClaren: The quiet revolutionary

<SPAN class=art-title2>McClaren: The quiet revolutionary</SPAN> <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    </TD></TR><TR class=paddingall><TD vAlign=top> <SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Steve McClaren is hoping to shake up the entire mindset of the English national set-up.
    </SPAN><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(AFP)</SPAN> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(FIFA.com)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">02 Oct 2006</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>The appointment of Steve McClaren as successor to Sven-Goran Eriksson was seen as an evolutionary, rather than revolutionary, step by the Football Association. Yet the former Middlesbrough gaffer has always been considered ahead of his time.

As a coach introducing groundbreaking methods at Derby County, he attracted the attention of Manchester United icon Sir Alex Ferguson, who appointed him assistant coach at Old Trafford.While with the Red Devils, he was part of the backroom staff who helped to mastermind the unprecedented treble of the UEFA Champions League, Premiership title and FA Cup trophies in the 1998/99 season.

In June 2001, he decided to try flying solo, joining Middlesbrough. He managed to consolidate the Teessiders' position in the Premiership, guided them to their first piece of major silverware and taking them to a UEFA Cup final.That match marked McClaren's final game at the club before he travelled to the 2006 FIFA World Cup™ as Eriksson's assistant - a position he had occupied since October 2000, excluding a period between October 2002 and May 2004.

Critics warned of more of the same, but since taking the reins, McClaren has made some tough and markedly different decisions to those ofhis predecessor. Appointing John Terry as captain and dropping David Beckham from the squad entirely certainly succeeded in raising a few eyebrows. Yet itis decisive calls likethese that appear to be bearing fruit for the Yorkshireman, who is currentlyable toreflect on a 100 per cent record in his three games in charge.

FIFA.com: Steve, are you enjoying the job?
    Steve McClaren: I am. I've always enjoyed working with England, as a coach with Sven - I always enjoyed that, the relationship, the games, the tournaments These are the biggest games in the world. I've been involved for five years, I've built up a good relationship with the players, so of course, once given the opportunity to be manager, I jumped at it, and I'm enjoying it.

What are the main differences between club and international management?
    Club management is a constant. Twenty-four hours a day you have to be continuously thinking about improving the team, improving the players and improving the club because you have game after game in the Premiership. In the last two seasons with Middlesbrough we were in Europe, so we had three games a week. It was very hectic, very intense and I think that's the main difference - the intensity.
    With England you have a lot more time to prepare, a lot more time to analyse the games, the approach and the development. When you get the players together, then you have a tremendous intensity around the games. I suppose the intensity around the games is double the intensity that exists around club matches. So those are the different sides, you go from extremes with the national team to periods of reflection and periods of preparation whereas in club football, it's very intense day-to-day; preparing for one game, feedback from that game and then preparing for the next.

Looking back at the FIFA World Cup in Germany, why did England fail to live up to expectations? Were you just not good enough, was luck a factor, the Rooney sending-off?
    I think that during a tournament it's not always the team who starts the
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X