When The West Was King (Memory Lane)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When The West Was King (Memory Lane)

In the years when the West won many championships and dominated selection on the Jamaica national team, the following players were among the very best we produced:

SEBA:
    Phillip "Seba" Wong; Andrew Vassell; Allan Latty; Gerald "Hero" Scott; Chadrick Wright; Hector Wright; Alton "Noah" Sterling; Cassman Williams; Paul "Tegat" Davis; Ian "Tampi" Thorpe; Natty English;

WADADAH:
    Tall P Dread; Richard "Bumpy" Henlon; Neville "Rewah" Brown; Durrant "Tatty" Brown; Bruce "Blacks" Gaynor; CoCo Tea (played with Corntail at Russeas); Ruddy Brown; Michael Jarrett; Mark Ledford; "Twinny Bugs" Anglin.

VIOLET KICKERS:
    Noel "Bram Bram" King; Surtan "Pele" Thompson; Warren "Boopie" Barrett;

RENO FC:
    Noel "Sweetie" Smith; Dennis Hudson; Aaron Lawrence; Clive Wedderburn; Boysie Nicholson; Wendell "Boyous" Downswell; Donald Hewitt; Michael Graham; Calvin Valentine; Andred Andrews; Caple "Corntail" Donaldson; Linval "Palla" Wilson; "Hagler" Wilson;

Let's hope that with The Captain's intervention, The West can return to those glory days and once again produce great players in abundance.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Yuh fe get........

"Tuffy" Barnes, Andred Andrews, "Longlife"......?(STETHS), Alcock (Flames/Salem United), Ali McNab, Steve Buckner, Gi Gee (CC keeper)

Wait, me soon memba more.....me memory gaaawn baad!!

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
      In the years when the West won many championships and dominated selection on the Jamaica national team, the following players were among the very best we produced:

SEBA:
      Phillip "Seba" Wong; Andrew Vassell; Allan Latty; Gerald "Hero" Scott; Chadrick Wright; Hector Wright; Alton "Noah" Sterling; Cassman Williams; Paul "Tegat" Davis; Ian "Tampi" Thorpe; Natty English;

WADADAH:
      Tall P Dread; Richard "Bumpy" Henlon; Neville "Rewah" Brown; Durrant "Tatty" Brown; Bruce "Blacks" Gaynor; CoCo Tea (played with Corntail at Russeas); Ruddy Brown; Michael Jarrett; Mark Ledford; "Twinny Bugs" Anglin.

VIOLET KICKERS:
      Noel "Bram Bram" King; Surtan "Pele" Thompson; Warren "Boopie" Barrett;

RENO FC:
      Noel "Sweetie" Smith; Dennis Hudson; Aaron Lawrence; Clive Wedderburn; Boysie Nicholson; Wendell "Boyous" Downswell; Donald Hewitt; Michael Graham; Calvin Valentine; Andred Andrews; Caple "Corntail" Donaldson; Linval "Palla" Wilson; "Hagler" Wilson;

Let's hope that with The Captain's intervention, The West can return to those glory days and once again produce great players in abundance.
      Maybe I was reading too fast ... no Whitmore?

Michael Graham? One of the biggest club ballah I've ever seen. As Jawge would say, "King of Clubs!"

Donald Hewitt ... as we used to call him, Jamaica tun back.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Michael Graham. What a sigh of relief the day them take him off the National team.

Comment

Reno cont'd: Micharl Francis, Desmond Pringle, Missa Pang (Andread Brother), Union, Doyley......

RENO FOREVER!!!!
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

'im lis' Andred Andrews, but he did not list the brother Robert "Gaff" Andrews. Aalso, there is a guy name Alan Aarons who wwas quite good. I was told by a former CC man that after he left STETHS, he went to play in one of the European countries, I am not sure it it was Sweden.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Desmond Pringle, yuh mean "Big 'ead"? I was here trying to remember his name, but it kept slipping mi.
              "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Big 'ead indeed tilla. He was also known as Silla.
                The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

King?
                  National Champion teams from the West?
                  ...or, when the West had top teams but not necessarily when the National Champion was from the West?

Here are 3 national players from an earlier era - There was Whilston "Willie" Taylor (Cornwall's winning D'Cup & Olivier Shield striker and captain...and, I think "Willie's" St. James also became national parish champion. Willie later became FIFA referee.); "Billy" - not for the life of me can I remember his first name - Griffiths; Allie McNabb.

Two more who I also think were from St. James -
                  Lester "Fairy Boots" Alcock...and, his son - was his name also Lester? - who came along later and represented the country.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl, I think "Billy" Griffiths is probably Neville Griffiths, whose brother Courtney also played some defense back in dem-dere days. Courtney is an accountant in S Florida but I think Billy is still in Jamaica.

I think we also forgot a wicked baller who went by the name of "Esto" and who played for Seba in the early years.
                    Last edited by Farmah; January 25, 2008, 11:08 AM.
                    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Who could forget, Boy's Club keeper,....Alan "BAT!"
                      Others............Michael "Great Wall of China" Harriott he also played for CC and I think Wadadah! Then we had Danny Boy, Geppo, Danny Worms all played for Ruseas, Reno, and County of Cornwall Federation!
                      There were also a couple of players that I cannot recall their names who played for Selah....one was a "maawga" Dread who played mid field.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
                        Karl, I think "Billy" Griffiths is probably Neville Griffiths, whose brother Courtney also played some defense back in dem-dere days. Courtney is an accountant in S Florida but I think Billy is still in Jamaica.
                        I know Billy well...the very last time I saw him we raised glasses with Steve Bucknor, Lloyd Hamilton and a few others in the club house at Jarrett Park.

you could be right...but, Neville does not ring a bell!

I think we also forgot a wicked baller who went by the name of "Esto" and who played for Seba in the early years.
                        I remeber that name! Cannot remember the 'face'?

...btw - Latty's name is Allan Latty.
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                        X