• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Simoes speak " Not here to lose"

I'm not in Jamaica to lose
    ... Simoes says Boyz can achieve historic repeat
    Kayon Raynor
    Friday, January 25, 2008

WITH approximately five months remaining before the Reggae Boyz play their first qualifying match in the South Africa 2010 World Cup campaign, technical director, Rene Simoes, is confident of taking the country to its second World Cup Final.

Fifteen days after arriving in the island for his second coaching stint, the Brazilian said Wednesday he is not here to lose.

National technical director Rene Simoes (right) is greeted by the president of the Rotary Club of Downtown Kingston at a weekly luncheon at the Hilton Kingston Hotel on Wednesday. (Photo: Garfield Robinson)

"I can guarantee you, I'm better today than I was when I left here in 2000," said a philosophical Simoes at a luncheon of the Rotary Club of Downtown Kingston at the Hilton Kingston Hotel.

Pointing to the experience he has gained since leaving the shores of Jamaica, Simoes added: "We're not complaining about what we don't have; we're working our plan to convince everybody to come on board as we seek to qualify the nation for the World Cup," he stated.

Jamaica will play its first qualifier against either The British Virgin Islands or the Bahamas in the second stage of the CONCACAF Qualifiers in July, and Simoes is predicting good things for the nation.

"I'm not here to lose; I expect to be a winner and qualify the team," reiterated a confident Simoes, who indicated he has designed a plan to ensure that Jamaica becomes the first English-speaking Caribbean team to qualify for two World Cup Finals following France 1998.

"I plan for good things," said Simoes, who said he is writing a book about his recent club success in Brazil last year.

With 35 teams competing for three-and-a-half spots from this region, Simoes knows motivation will be a key factor in preparing both players and fans to qualify for South Africa.

"I can't motivate Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner by telling him about buying a car or house because he has those already, but what I can do is inspire him to become the only Jamaican footballer to play in two World Cups," Simoes reasoned.

In the meantime, Jamaica will square-off against Costa Rica in their next friendly international on February 6 at the National Stadium before taking on Caribbean rivals Trinidad & Tobago on March 26 at the same venue.
    "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Originally posted by PeeJay View Post
    "I can't motivate Ricardo 'Bibi' Gardner by telling him about buying a car or house because he has those already, but what I can do is inspire him to become the only Jamaican footballer to play in two World Cups," Simoes reasoned.
    Does that mean Simoes is not going to encourage Tappa to lace up once again?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Tappa may be called

if our midfielders do not show anything to the new Simoes
      "Everyone who knows me understands that I hold no prejudices in this regard....In the family atmosphere of the {RBSC}telethon, I forget that not everyone knows me that well." ....attributed to Jerry Lewis....

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Does that mean Simoes is not going to encourage Tappa to lace up once again?
        Why throw salt into Jawge's eyes? There are some on this forum whose calendars are stuck in 1998, and they can't imagine another individual running the midfield.
        Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Boss, if the Prof. wants Tappa
          to lace up fine if the prof. says no fine with me same way. The prof.
          is the resident expert in football for Ja and his words are final. So it setup boss. See mi know value an mi wouldn't like fi know say Brasil nuh haff nutten fi do wid wi when it come on to football, so mek it run.

I juss hope that this time around evrybody (and I mean everybody) grabs this opportunity to learn becuase I don't believe it will come a third time.

Comment

Working...
          X