Big names missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big names missing

Big names missing - Boyz start preparations for Canada friendly <DIV class=KonaBody>

Howard Walker, Staff Reporter

Carl Brown - file

When coach Carl Brown blew his whistle at 4:45 p.m. yesterday, only 10 players responded as preparation for Jamaica's international friendly against Canada at the National Stadium on Sunday got on the way.

Shawn Sawyers, Fabian Davis, Claude Davis, Oneil Thompson, Xavean Virgo, Khari Stephenson, Omar Daley, Demar Phillips, Sean Fraser and Kevin Lamey all decked in their green outfits took to the field for light workouts at Collie Smith Drive.

Moments later the Seba duo of Damion Williams and Wifred Smith along with Richard McCallum, turned up and were quickly put through their paces by fitness trainer Junior Samuels.

Flight problems

Coach Brown explained that the Swedish-based players, Teafore Bennett, Jermaine Hue and Luton Shelton had flight problems and missed training.

"Some of the players like Teafore, Jermaine and Shelton had flight problems and should be coming in tomorrow," said Brown after training.

But there were no Leighton Murray, Ricardo Fuller, Damion Stewart, Shavar Thomas, Garfield Reid, Jamal Campbell-Ryce, Shane Crawford, Fabian Dawkins and Roland Dean.

Earlier yesterday, the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) announced a 25-man squad to play Canada which saw Shavar Thomas return to the national programme for the first time in many years.

The 25 year-old Thomas who currently has 12 caps, represented Jamaica at every youth level before entering the 2003 Major League Soccer (MLS) Super Draft, where he was selected 10th overall by the Dallas Burn. Thomas struggled in his first year but finished the season with 14 starts for the Burn.

Taylor out

Thomas who was traded to the Wizards in his second year, established himself as a solid defender playing centre back for one of the league's best defensive teams.

Nine overseas-based players were added to the local squad which failed to defend their Digicel Caribbean Cup title, surprisingly falling at the first hurdle at home.

Jermaine Taylor, Jason Morrison and Demar Stewart who played Sunday, were not included in the squad.</DIV>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: Big names missing

I wonder if the local players where 'contacted' through the pages and or on the airwaves of media outlets?

...and, the *ignorant and arrogant JFF expected them to as would'less than men' turn up?

*Peter R: Kindly forgive?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

remind me...exactly what was the outcome on the meeting to discuss the marlon king curfew fiasco?

as a man who begged for boxhill to get a chance to finish his term, i have egg on my face many times over!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Gamma (10/5/2006)remind me...exactly what was the outcome on the meeting to discuss the marlon king curfew fiasco?

as a man who begged for boxhill to get a chance to finish his term, i have egg on my face many times over!!
        Wipe yuh face an move on! Yuh ave nuff, nuff company. I join you in asking for the result of the Marlon King hearing?

Comment

Working...
        X