Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Omar Daley facing battle for Ja place

Omar facing battle for Jamaica place

By Leon Wobschall A date in the Rainbow Nation in the summer of 2010 is the dream for Bradford City winger Omar Daley.
    But to achieve that the Jamaican international must first see off the threat of a Yorkshire rival – Barnsley's Jamal Campbell-Ryce.

Daley, who joined City from US outfit Charleston Battery 12 months ago, is desperate to show his wares to the Reggae Boyz management in next Wednesday's friendly with Costa Rica in Kingston.

But so is his Oakwell rival ahead of the real business of World Cup qualifiers this summer.

And despite plying his trade two tiers below Campbell-Ryce, the 26-year-old is confident that won't count against him in his bid to represent Jamaica at the 2010 World Cup finals in South Africa.

Daley, seeking to become another Jamaican success story at Bradford following the rise to prominence of the likes of Jermaine Johnson and Damion Stewart, said: "Obviously I have my dreams and I want to be a hero.

"It would be special to play in the World Cup finals as a Jamaica player.

"It's between me and Jamal on the right. It's good competition, I play in League Two, but people are still wanting to look at me.

"There's a new coach and it's a case of wait and see. I think he has only seen me on tape so he's going to see me for the first time in person and it's a big chance for me to do my best."

Daley showed his faith in City by penning a new three-and-a-half-year deal recently that will keep him at the Coral Windows Stadium until June 2011, despite reported interest from several other clubs.

But the Stuart McCall factor and continuing to work with the effervescent Bantams boss, who is slowly carving out a niche for himself as a No 1 after several years as deputy to Neil Warnock at Sheffield United, was the clincher.

On the pitch, all Daley wants is for City to continue their morale-lifting new year form – while bagging a few more goals in the bargain.

Daley, who struck his second of the season in Tuesday's thrilling 4-2 victory over Shrewsbury, said: "Obvi
    ously, I want to play at the highest level possible, but I believe I can do it at Bradford.

"I hope to be there (the Championship) one day, but I'm not thinking about that, just Bradford.

"It would definitely be nice to get there with Bradford. They were a Championship club not so long ago and have a great stadium and great fans and everything is there.

"I believe in the gaffer. I think he's a winner, he's a legend at the club.

"He's a top man to be around and to work with and he's really helped me.

"I'm still learning the English game. In Jamaica, we play it all to feet and keep the ball; here it can be a bit different.

"But it's been good so far and I'll just keep working hard.

"I set myself a target of eight goals this season, so there's much more work to do. I'll keep going, but if the team win and I don't score, I still feel good.

"It's two goals, 60 shots.

But I don't want to say 'I need to score' every time I play, that would put extra pressure on me.

"If the team is winning and I'm assisting, then that's my job.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X