Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barnes makes Liverpool top 5

3. John Barnes

The year is 1988 and it's Liverpool at home to Nottingham Forest. I've just watched the closest thing to perfection on a football pitch as John Barnes played the role of conductor for King Kenny's orchestra. I've never seen a more exciting Liverpool team than the one that kicked off the season away to Arsenal in 1987 and no one excited the Kop more than John Barnes that year. How do you silence thousands of ignorant bigots every week? You rip their team to shreds with some of the most mesmerising football ever to grace the English game. If Barnes transfer to Liverpool – a club who had never had a high profile black player before 1987 – shocked the Kop, his performances after it shook the whole ground.

Mark Platt

Liverpoolfc.tv

1. Kenny Dalglish

The King Kop Shaker without a doubt. What more can be said that hasn’t already?

2. Steven Gerrard

Managed to shake the Kop all the way from Istanbul when he proudly held aloft the European Cup in 2005.

3. John Barnes

His signing shook the Kop to such an extent that the famous terrace was forced out of action for the first three weeks of the 87/88 season.

4. Ian Rush

Shook the Kop more than any other Liverpool player – 346 times to be precise.

5. Albert Stubbins

Record signing of the time, post-war Kop hero, the only footballer to feature on a best-selling album cover and one of the truly great names in LFC history.

David Cartwright

Liverpoolfc.tv

1. Emlyn Hughes

Simply the greatest captain ever! Plus he never scored a bad goal. The total team player.

2. John Barnes

Sensational, mouth-watering to watch. The reason why I started playing football.

3. Kenny Dalglish

Many people's favourite but my number three. I liked Kenny because of his ability to use his bum to shield the ball and nobody could get around it, coupled with his incredible vision.

4. Robbie Fowler

The most natural goalscorer I've ever seen. GOD!

5. Stan Collymore

Ignore the personal issues. He was one of the most gifted players to ever pull on the Red shirt. Left or right foot he could score from anywhere, and he was one of the main reasons Robbie got so many goals during his short stay at the club.

Sonia Knight

Liverpoolfc.tv

1. Robbie Fowler

A pure goal machine. He scores goals for fun and it was a great day when Rafael Benitez brought him back to his spiritual home of Anfield.

2. Ian Rush

The master goalscorer and the man who taught the pupil Robbie Fowler. Rushie won us so many trophies with his never-to-be-forgotten goals.

3. John Barnes

A wonderful sight on the pitch when he was in his stride. Few defenders could live with John Barnes and he set up so many goals.

4. Michael Owen

It was a sad day when Michael left Liverpool but no one must forget what he did while he was here. He won us the FA Cup almost single handedly and scored goals for fun.

5. Jamie Carragher

Mr Consistency and a true modern great. Jamie plays with his heart on his sleeve and gives his all game in, game out.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Unique in the fact that he shook the Kop both as a player and a Manager. The last man to deliver the title.

2. Steven Gerrard

Gerrard has gone beyond comparisons with Graeme Souness and would

comfortably be number one in 30 years if he achieved as a Manager what he has as a player.

3. Robbie Fowler

Perhaps Ian Rush should be above Fowler because he scored his goals

in a golden age, but there's nothing like seeing one of your own become the best.

4. Ian Rush

I grew up thinking Rush would score as sure as night follows day - he was that profilic.

5. John Barnes

There are few in the game today that can beat a man or three as easily as Barnes could. With Beard
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

RE: Barnes makes Liverpool top 5

If Barnes was groomed in Jamaica they would say his head isnt good , because he runs at defenders.We dont know how to maximise talent Fuller and J.J are out right wingers and should be used as such , thier alternate role is attacking midfield.

Hue is a attacking midfielder that compliments a clinical finisher ala Bennet , King, Shelton or Lowe put that together you have devastating power.Hue will never shine on a wing (1) he lacks pace (2) his game is to pass.

The ultimate Reggae boys attack would be

.......Lowe ...King

Daley ....... Hue...........J.J (Fuller)

THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

That Liverpool team of the late 80's with Rush, Aldridge, Johnnie Barnes, Peter Beardsley is the most beautiful football I have ever witnessed week in weeek out until Arsene Wengers poets started gracing the field in the late 90's. Ajax '95 - '96 is my favorite team ever because they were young and they destroyed Europe -they had greater skill and quality than that Liverpool team but they were never as fun to watch game after game. Honorable mention to Tele Santana's Sao Paolo (late 90's) and AC Milan Late 80's to 1994 with The Dread and Savicevic but none of these teams had my hero John Barnes in their starting line up.
      SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

I saw Omar Daley play his first game for the senior team and I thought for sure after that game where the teenager was our best midfielder in a World Cup qualifier in El Salvador of all places that he would be our best midfielder by now. I remember I wanted to put "Omar Daley shall heng dem all," or something to that effect, as my signature a few years ago but I kept forgetting (true story)... Now Princess is a woman weh nuh like when you oppose her and mi tek brave a drive inna dis woman car and a defend Omar Daley never care if she kick me out and mek me walk home... but honestly him nuh live up to my expectations as a senior yet. How a bwoy that physically and technically gifted can look so poor at times is a mystery Ihave yet tosolve.
        SA 2010: Reggae Boyz coming home!

Comment

Wickedesting fi years widout tears. England neva seen nutten like Johnny Barnes, an wi neva reproduce nuh balla close. Bes ting outa yard fi sure. What a bwoy di smood lika silk.

Comment

Working...
          X