X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tempted by call of Jamaica

Thursday 16th October 2003
    Tempted by call of Jamaica
    It's back to business at Spurs now after my trip to Turkey with the England Under-21s. It was a real honour to receive my first call-up to the Under-21s squad and it came as a bit of a surprise really, but a pleasant one in any case. It was strange because a couple of days before I got the call from England, Jamaica had approached me to join their full squad ahead of their friendly against Brazil in Leicester on Sunday.

My parents are from Jamaica and it was an amazing offer and very flattering, but unfortunately at the time I thought I was ineligible to play because I had appeared in a competitive game for the England Under-18s. I must admit it would have been very tempting to have joined up with Jamaica, especially for the Brazil match, if the rules had permitted, but that takes nothing away from the fact that I was made up to get the call from England Under-21s.

There was a hint of disappointment that I didn't get onto the bench for our Under-21s game against Turkey but it was a great experience all the same, and if I keep working hard I'll hopefully get the call-up again and next time I might make it to at least the bench. I had a real laugh with the lads in training and as you may know I like to show off my ball skills. So much so, that Jermain Defoe has nicknamed me Rohandinho Ricketts!

Anyway, back to the Premiership and everyone's really buzzing at Spurs off the back of a few good results and we're just hoping to keep it going now at Leicester on Sunday. We've be doing really well under David Pleat and I'm pleased the gaffer has shown faith in me. David Pleat has turned things around for us so far, but I've no idea what the long-term managerial situation at Spurs is. The only thing I'm focused on is winning our next game.

I've been given such a fantastic opportunity at Spurs and I'm just determined to make the most of it. I've been staying on by myself after training, practising my shooting and doing extra running. There are always things you can improve on when you're a young player and I want to push myself as much as possible to become an even better player. Playing in the first team for Spurs has given me bags of confidence and I feel that my game is improving all the time. I've just got to keep up the hard work

and?! ... 5 years later?!!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

he did work out with the team when they played england two years ago

Comment

Ah who him? Funny that he knows nothing about the rules. Under 18 games do not tie you to a national team, it is only full games at the senior level. Think about it, Freddie Adu can still play for Ghana before his 21st birthday.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yeah that was before fifa changed the rule Tilla ..... that rule you talking about came into play in november in 2003.. give the youth a break and you all need him say what yuh want i am sure he isbetter than teddy ..

Also you all over look this player cleveland taylor.....

Comment

As i said who is it? Is it Rohan Ricketts?
            If it is, what has he done lately? Remember the clips you show were from 2002/2003 when he was with Tottenham.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

What has jj done lately what has cousin done lately. Don't worry it will be interesting to see who simones recruits from england

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                Think about it, Freddie Adu can still play for Ghana before his 21st birthday.
                No, he can't.
                "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                - Xavi

Comment

Why? Because he has represented at the senior level? I have to check into that.

Comment

How old is Ricketts Nami? He has to make the switch before his 21st birthday, remember that.

Comment

yes that's why. a senior cap seals it.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Good for Ghana!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh mean good for cameroon...they will retain the record for the oldest player to play in aworld cup final tournament...nuh suh?

Comment

yuhseeit!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                            X