• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Caribbean 'Ballers At Sunderland FC

Caribbean players begin Sunderland experience
    CMC
    Thursday, April 10, 2008

SUNDERLAND, England (CMC) - The eight young Caribbean footballers from the Digicel Kick Start Clinic are in the middle of their Sunderland experience after arriving amid snow on Sunday.

Selected by Jamaica-born ex-England international, John Barnes, after a series of Digicel Clinics throughout the Caribbean, the players were slated for their third day of the one-week trip training under the watchful eyes of the Sunderland manager and former Liverpool star Roy Keane yesterday.

The players - Andrew Murray (Guyana), Joseph Guemsley & Renaud Brisley (Haiti), Gerard Williams & Devaugn Elliot (St Kitts), Suriname's Emilio Limon, Leston Paul (Trinidad and Tobago) and Jamaican Akeem Brown - earned their opportunity at the Premier League club by impressing at the Digicel trials in their countries earlier this year.

On their opening day Monday, the players were greeted by Sunderland's AFC Academy Director, Ged McNamee.

Each Digicel player received Umbro training kits, given the club rules and regulations and underwent fitness training and tests.

Because of snow, they trained indoors on Monday but went outdoors on Tuesday after which they were taken on a tour of the Sunderland AFC's Stadium of Light.

Their stint will end on Saturday when the players will attend the Sunderland vs Manchester City Premier League match where they will have the opportunity to meet all the players and Sunderland AFC's Chairman, Niall Quinn.

Note: Akeem Brown is a former national U17 palyer who also plays for MeadHeaven FC.

Question though: Was he really the best that John Barnes could find in Jamaica???
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
    Note: Akeem Brown is a former national U17 palyer who also plays for MeadHeaven FC.

Question though: Was he really the best that John Barnes could find in Jamaica???
    John Barnes did not see a huge number of players. About 20 players were selected (by whom?) and presented to Barnes. He worked with them for about 4 days and made a selection. So, while he might not be the best, he has a good resume with the national caps and a good club.

I do remember him singlehandedly changing a game for the U-17 Reggae Boyz last year. It might have been against the USA when we recorded our first ever victory over an American team at any level. In fact, I recall asking the coach why he didn't start seeing that he was clearly a good player.

From the Gleaner -

All seemed lost when the U.S., continuing their onslaught down the same wing, again found the back of the net in the 33rd minute, this time through the nippy Alexander Nimo. With less than 15 minutes remaining, some spectators had already begun to file out of the stadium when substitute Akeem Brown, netted in the 78th minute. Four minutes later, Brown split the U.S. defence with a pass out wide for a sprinting Noel Mais, who whipped [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]a [COLOR=orange! important]square[/color][/color][/color] across the area which Jamaican skipper Dever Orgill latched on to and the Reggae Boyz were level.

So, he may not be the best, but he cannot be too far from it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Thanks for the insight. Yes, I too somwhat recall a game (I think it was against Mexico) where Akeem Brown helped to equalize or win the game.

While Akeem Brown might be a good selection by Barnes, I can't help but wonder if a top-20 local youth players were actually proffered up for perusal. One would think that Barnes' selection would see more players from the Caribbean's elite teams, TnT and Jamica. It's interesting that both St Kitts and Haiti had two players each while Jamaica, Suriname (another hotbed), and TnT only had one selection each.

That said, I wish the young ballers well and hope something very positive (even a contract) may come out of this. Nuff Big Ups to Digicel!!!
      "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

From what I've been hearing, Haiti was the country that impressed the most. Who knows, with Barnes' Jamaica and T&T connections, maybe he didn't want to be accused of bias!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

By the way where is Dever Orgill now...Was he one for the fu

ture who was heavily scouted by agents all over the world. We lose so much of our youth it is unbelievable. What is happenning with the academy?

Comment

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/youth/res...=175&team=Male

Dever is apparently the only fariner in the residency program. However, Nicholas Addlery, formerly of DC United and the national U-20 program plays for the senior team.

I wish them both all the best! Good yute dem!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Orgill had a very good Dallas Cup. He gave the farin teams a lot of problems.

Comment

Good news! I think he will fulfill all his dreams and those of his local supporters.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Farmah i think barnes said that trinidad tobago and jamaica have greater number of quality players but the other islands have one or two good players that are are as good as or better that the good player in trinidad JA haiti . He was impressed with st kitts also

Comment

Working...
                  X