• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• With Messi back we could beat United. He's our Ronaldo

Henry: With Messi back we could beat United. He's our Ronaldo

Last updated at 18:46pm on 12th April 2008

Comments

Thierry Henry believes the return of Argentine Leo Messi to the Barcelona side will prove decisive when the Catalan team take on Manchester United in their Champions League semi-final.

The former Arsenal striker, who joined Barca in a £16million deal last summer, concedes that United may be viewed as favourites for what is being hyped as a battle of the two most entertaining teams in Europe.

However, with Barca's La Liga form more comical than mesmerising at present, Henry is among those hoping his team will be inspired to new heights by the return of their best player and undoubted leader.

'Messi can do anything,' says Henry. 'Taking him out of our side is like taking Cristiano Ronaldo out of the United team. You still have amazing players, but it is bound to make a difference.

'Is he talismanic? Yes. When he's on song, my God! Having Leo and Deco back could be a big factor for the United game. We can benefit from the freshness they bring. I would not say United are favourites, I'm just saying it's normal that people would pick them as favourites for our games, because of the way they are playing at the moment and the way we have been playing.

'But you never know the form the two teams will be in when the games come round.'

Barca are the only foreign team to break the power of the Premier League in the semi-finals this year, as eventual winners AC Milan were last year. Henry watched Tuesday's Liverpool-Arsenal quarter-final with his Barca team-mates, as they relaxed before their own tie against Schalke, and they could not fail to be impressed by what was probably the best match of the season thus far.

'It's no surprise that three English teams are in the last four again,' said Henry. 'All the time when I was in England I said it was the best league in the world and I'm certainly not going to change my mind now. But it's not just the money, it's pleasant to watch.

'I watched the three Arsenal- Liverpool games and the pace was just ridiculous. That was English football at its best. And all around the world, people will have been talking about it. Certainly, everyone was talking about it here.'

Now everyone at the Nou Camp is talking about the respective strengths of Ronaldo, Wayne Rooney and Carlos Tevez. While Henry has been impressed, he does not see United's form as more frightening than previous opponents.

'I don't know if you can say they have developed this season. They are doing what they've done for a long time. OK, Chelsea won two titles, but United have always been in there fighting. When I was at Arsenal, people were kind enough to praise the way we played, but I always thought United were beautiful to watch, too. They've always got great players who are good on the ball and hard workers — the right mix.'

Nevertheless, he will settle down to watch Arsenal against United today hoping his former team-mates can revive their slim title hopes and at the same time strike a psychological blow at the heart of Sir Alex Ferguson's team.

'They can win at United,' insisted Henry. 'I was really down for them in the week. They didn't deserve this after the way they've played all season. As an Arsenal supporter I'm really disappointed.

'I watched the game against Liverpool like a lunatic. Especially when Theo (Walcott) went on that run, it was out of this world. I was saying: “Come on, guys. Six minutes to go”. Then came the penalty and I was so sad because they played amazingly all season and it all came down to that. I was sad because this is a young group of lads.'
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

OJ, KArl and 2099 since y'all always claiming

differently ...

"When I was at Arsenal, people were kind enough to praise the way we played, but I always thought United were beautiful to watch, too." (TH14 .. the greatest baller fi wear an Arsenal jersey.)
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X