English trio vying for Fifa award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English trio vying for Fifa award

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3><DIV class=mxb><DIV class=sh></DIV></DIV></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><DIV> <DIV class=cap>Ronaldinho was the 2005 winner</DIV></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard are on Fifa's 30-man shortlist for World Player of the Year award.

That trio of players are among 12 Premiership players in contention for the prize, with Arsenal's Thierry Henry seen as a front-runner for the award.

Last year's winner was Brazilian Ronaldinho, who also won in 2004.

This year's competition is expected to come down to a contest between and striker Henry and Fabio Cannavaro, captain of World Cup winners Italy.

The head coaches and captains of all national teams will now vote for their best players from the shortlist.

The prize will be awarded in Zurich on 18 December.

<HR>

Fifa World Player of the Year shortlist:
    Adriano (Inter Milan, Brazil), Michael Ballack (Chelsea, Germany), Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus, Italy), Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid, Italy), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Portugal), Petr Cech (Chelsea, Czech Republic), Deco (Barcelona, Portugal), Didier Drogba (Chelsea, Ivory Coast), Michael Essien (Chelsea, Ghana), Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona, Cameroon), Luis Figo (Inter Milan, Portugal), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan, Italy), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool, England), Thierry Henry (Arsenal, France), Kaka (AC Milan, Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Werder Bremen, Germany), Philippe Lahm (Bayern Munich, Germany), Frank Lampard (Chelsea, England), Jens Lehmann (Arsenal, Germany), Alessandro Nesta (AC Milan, Italy), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan, Italy), Franck Ribery (Marseille, France), Juan Roman Riquelme (Villarreal, Argentina), Ronaldinho (Barcelona, Brazil), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United, England), Tomas Rosicky (Arsenal, Czech Republic), Andriy Shevchenko (Chelsea, Ukraine), Lilian Thuram (Barcelona, France), Patrick Vieira (Inter Milan, France), Zinedine Zidane (retired, France). </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: English trio vying for Fifa award

Tough to say out right who should be the winner. If it is based solely on the World Cup it has to be Zidane, if its solely on club performance, Ronaldino or Eto'o, if its a combination of both? Henry would be a shoe in, but I think Jens Lehmann is more deserving.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Clearly this list is a fraud. No Phenom No List. It is an anti-american bias. Don't worry Freddy we all know you are the real Player of the Year.

In the absence ofAdu my pick is Henry all the way. The manwas simply awesome last season.- T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Yuh drunk? Bout Freddie. No question about Henry's performance last season but remember, so was Jens Lehmann. How many clean sheets he had in the CL last season? Look at his performance at the world cup?

Comment

I don't disagree about Lehman but never in my life have I seen a forward so dangerous that even as a true lone forward big teams in the CLhave to keep four defenders back just to contain him. Is badman business we a deal wid. Best forward I have seen during my lifetime. - T.K.

Comment

" Best forward I have seen during my lifetime " How old are you? Two?

Comment

LOL...yes I can understand your sentiments but I can only comment on who I have watched play.

I was fortunate enough to watch Henry week in and week out due to the this magically thing called directtv. The other greats I never had the pleasure outside of the world cups, euro cups and occasional champions league match that would come on.

So without knowing what any of the other great players looked like week in and week out Henry is the greatest forward I have ever seen. And no I am not 2. - T.K.

Comment

Okay ... if yuh feel suh. Suh if Shatta should come and say ... hold on .. mek mi get a straight face fuss, "Walter Boyd a the greatest stiker him ever see," yuh wouldn't have a problem with that?

Comment

Well I would because Shatta has already seen The Phenom play so he of course he must rule Boyd out as being the greatest he's ever seen. If I was to build a forward it would be Henry. He is the prototype. He is the standard by which the modern striker will be judged. - T.K.

Comment

No Maestro?!? This is some Trafigura list!!!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                    X