Ronaldo runs scared and looks ordinary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ronaldo runs scared and looks ordinary

AGAINST the best in the world - and Barca - Ronaldo runs scared and looks ordinary

by The Hatchet Man

Barcelona versus Manchester United. Billed as a clash of the two most attacking teams in European football.
    A tie that had produced 26 goals in the last half-dozen meetings between the two clubs – compared to the three in six runs of Chelsea v Liverpool in the Champions League before this week.

Messi v Ronaldo – the two most exciting forwards in the world game. How nailed on was a goalless draw?

Part of that was down to the battle between the Argentine and the Portuguese; the half-fit Boy Wonder versus the red-faced child who couldn't perform his magic tricks in the biggest playground.
    This was five years to the day since that other Ronaldo single-handedly crushed United at Old Trafford by scoring a sublime hat-trick. The man for the moment on the biggest stage.

Neither was exquisite. But the Spanish TV directors revelled in showing Messi and Ronaldo highlights back to back, invariably showing the Barca star controlling the ball perfectly, while United's winger executed a nice flick only to then lose it, end up on his backside, and protest he had been violated by the big bullies.

This is Catalonia, Ron, you get more protection on the Continent. Fergie said so – just like in Rome.

Still, he flapped his arms around. Apparently, he was equally upset when Kaka walked away with the FIFA World Player of the Year in December, and he was third behind Messi.

Maybe he missed the gong because it's one thing to bag braces against the likes of Bolton, Newcastle, Fulham and Wigan, but another to do it when it really counts.

Kaka caught the eye last season for wrenching Milan's elderly team to the Champions League Final and producing moments of magic in a tight contest against Liverpool to ensure the trophy went back to Italy. It wasn't for playing well against Ascoli.

So when Ronaldo got an early penalty at the Nou Camp, the scared little boy changed his routine – ditching the effective stuttering run-up – and blasted the ball wide.

Graeme Sounness, summarising on TV, kindly said it hit the post. Shame it was the post set a few yards back from the pitch.

Similarly, the perfect free-kicks he likes to wheel out against such opposition as Portsmouth, never troubled Victor Valdes.

Trying to prove he was the man for the big occasions, he proceeded with unnecessary flicks that time and again lost him possession, indulged in throwing himself at the floor, and did the simple things badly.
    If he had the control and composure of Messi, he would've created a goalscoring opportunity rather than play it way beyond Rafael Marquez and invite a challenge that could well have been a second penalty. Then again, the referee probably thought the ball would have harmlessly run through to the keeper anyway.

Ronaldo wasn't the only one to underperform. United played with fear and failed to express themselves against one of the worst Barcelona teams for years. Lets hope the lack of an away goal doesn't come back to haunt them.
    Beware a fit and firing Messi at Old Trafford, when Ronaldo is in danger of throwing a real, jealous strop.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

I was anticpating something like this from this writer. He wrote the same thing about Ronaldo leading up the CL ties against Lyon and Roma and the lead up to the EPL games against Arsenal and Liverpool.

Strange enough, Ronaldo scored against all the teams he (the Hatchman)predicted is too big for him to play against.

After his damning previews about Ronaldo not playing well against the above mentioned teams ... he is yet to tek back him talk. Suh now Ronaldo missed a penalty yesterday ... he is no longer a big player?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

He also had a woeful game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bricktop View Post
        He also had a woeful game.
        Won't dispute that. The Hatchet Man seems to have a thing fi Ronaldo ... mi have a feeling Ronaldo tek him girl or something.

Comment

Futhermore, only stars miss penalties. Baggio 1994 WC final, Steven Gerrard 2006 WC q finals against Portugal with the same Ronaldo who scored, Ronaldo against Barca in CL semis and of course .. Lazie at the RSBC picnic.

Comment

Only stars take penalties!

Apart from Lazie at the RBSC picnic.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yeah Lazie...some folk will use one game to draw conclusion.

I don't support Girl-U. But give credit where credit is due, I rank Ronaldo in the top 3 players in the world.
              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                Futhermore, only stars miss penalties. Baggio 1994 WC final, Steven Gerrard 2006 WC q finals against Portugal with the same Ronaldo who scored, Ronaldo against Barca in CL semis and of course .. Lazie at the RSBC picnic.
                Agreed!
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Speaking bout pinic, weh Scaly dread deh? W'ppen nutten naw gwaan dis year? Me haffi mek my plans dem from early out. yow Sass, me closer to your neck of the woods as of next week. Gas prices ago kill me.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

...mmmm???
                    ...also a good way to fire-up Ronaldo!
                    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                      ...mmmm???
                      ...also a good way to fire-up Ronaldo!
                      And that will be noted by the Barca defenders. I still believe Ronaldo will be lost on Tuesday.

Comment

Jangle mi tell you mid a go move south.

Well a made that move a year ago. Wid a young family mi just wanted to spend a little time closer to family, cut the long drive to work especially inna the winter and off course mi nuh miss the snow.

mi inna the south now. give me a Instant Message.
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                        X