X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adams: I'd Return To Help Arsenal

4/25/2008 6:04 PM
    Adams: I'd Return To Help Arsenal

Former Arsenal skipper Tony Adams says he would he happy to return to the club if he was asked to.

Adams has been a key figure behind the scenes at Portsmouth this season, and is said to have done very well in a rather open ended role handed to him by manager Harry Redknapp.

The tall defender, known for his mental toughness and the way he imposed it on the how Arsenal played, was speaking about the Gunners' lack of just that over the last two months.

Defending, in particular, has been spineless of late, as Wenger's boys have let in far too many in crucial matches, including seven against Manchester United in three games and seven against Liverpool in four.

Lead By Example
    William Gallas' leadership from the back has also been under the scanner, with suggestions that he has not always come through at tough times.
    “I always tried to lead by example [at Arsenal], and get out there and make sure they realised they were playing for the Arsenal," Adams told Setanta Sports.

"I tried to install in the team a kind of ‘over our dead bodies’ kind of attitude."

The Best Defence Wins
    He also put the onus fully on Arsenal's defence.

“I just feel that people don’t realise that the best back four win the league," he continued.
    "The last two seasons Manchester United have had the best back four and, before that, John Terry and his men were fantastic for two years."
    “We’ve kept more clean sheets at Portsmouth than Arsenal have, but I’m not going to question the great man [Wenger]."

Back To The Future?
    So the big question is, would he return to Arsenal to help them imbibe just the toughness he had?

“I’ve not been offered nothing here, I’ve not been offered anything elsewhere,” he responded. “I want to keep learning and wherever that takes me it takes me.

“I love the club, it was part of my life for so many years, and if anyone at Arsenal wants to invite me back, I’m willing to give it a shot. I’m fully prepared and willing to do what I have to do.”

Is Adams the kind of number two Wenger should look at? Let us know.
    Neal Glew, Goal.com
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X