Quick Chat with Geoffrey Maxwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Chat with Geoffrey Maxwell

Yesterday, I asked Geoffrey Maxwell what were his thoughts on the impending hire of Bora as head coach of the Reggae Boyz.

"Too much money for a coach," was his immediate response.

We went on to talk for about 30 minutes, with Maxwell sharing his views on several issues. I found him very personable and was actually taken aback by his frankness on some issues. We had never really spoken before and might only have nodded in acknowledgement of each other, having crossed paths several times in the local football corridors.

He mentioned to me his surprise and disappointment that it was reported on the Internet (he hadn't seen it but I told him that it was on our forum) that he had used expletives when talking to his Seba players some weeks ago. He went on to tell me exactly what he had said to the players and, if true, then we, actually siccko, has made a mountain of a molehill. I remember coming to his defence at the time only to get myself in some hot water about my own standards of decency.

But, just watch the ride. It will be a different thing completely when Bora lets fly a string of profanities in 5 or more languages. What will we say then?

Siccko's post:

The season is yet to start but already there are rumblings the coach cant control himself and players are getting ticked off.

The Seba players were reluctant to retake the field for the second half in their pre-season friendly against Wadadah at Jarrett Park on Sunday night after what was reported to be a profanity laced tirade by the much travelled coach.

There were also reports that he used profanity while addressing players at an Under 17 game this Summer.

Bet are on for how long he will last on this stint...

I would rather be hated for who I am than be loved for who I am not

My response:

So what if he uses profanity? Really strange when I hear us complain about profanity when every frigging day we all cuss from breakfast to supper! Entertainers are hauled before our overworked courts over profanity! Give me a goddamn break!

I bet if we get a good coach for the Reggae Boyz who has no problems lighting up the place with a few choice words, we would look the other way. But it's Jamaica's Geoffrey Maxwell. How dare that mofo tell us bad words!

"The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose."

- William Shakespeare (1564-1616), The Merchant of Venice, I.iii

BLACK LIVES MATTER

RE: Quick Chat with Geoffrey Maxwell

Yep, G-Max has always been a frank one. Indeed his openess on sensitive issues was the downfall of his short stint as Jamaica'snational coach. I for one always believe that Maxwell, given his knowledge of the game,belongs somewhere on our national coaching panel. I share his opinion that we are doling out TOO MUCH for a coach. It is a joke without shame. The government cannot even supply Kingston's main health center with an autoclave, yet then can give that ton load of US dollars to one man.

Incidentally, I have spent the better part of close to 10 days trying to reach someone at KPH to find out about how to donate an autoclave. After many telephone calls and futile attempts, the only thing I'm left with is a name: Don Farquarhson, and even him is impossible to reach.No one seems willing to accept a gift. Strangely enough, one female told me that there is so much red-tape involved that it would be easier to send them a check. :w00t:

Oh but I digress. G-Max's frankness is something to reckon with but he is a darn good tactician. I wonder if he could work in tandem with a man like Bora?
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Farmah (10/15/2006)

Incidentally, I have spent the better part of close to 10 days trying to reach someone at KPH to find out about how to donate an autoclave. After many telephone calls and futile attempts, the only thing I'm left with is a name: Don Farquarhson, and even him is impossible to reach.No one seems willing to accept a gift. Strangely enough, one female told me that there is so much red-tape involved that it would be easier to send them a check. :w00t:

Oh but I digress. G-Max's frankness is something to reckon with but he is a darn good tactician. I wonder if he could work in tandem with a man like Bora?

Be careful. I hope "don" is his name and not a title!

Easier to send a cheque?!? Sigh. Then how do we know how the check was used?

Maxwell said he was eager to meet with Bora. He said he liked what he was hearing that Bora would first be looking to pick a staff locally before looking abroad. And he did say he was interested in coaching the Olympic team. He woud not have a problem working with him.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

people commented on the profanity laced part. If he didn't lace it then I doubt many would care.

As you said it is a mountain which change the complexity.

Maxwell has always been a frank one.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
        X