Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done to improve the NPL?

Improving The National Premier League

<DIV>The national premier league which is the nations highest league needs some new and innovative ideas for it to have a long lasting effect.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>1) The present format of having clubs been relegated at the end of each season has to be looked at for the future of the clubs.</DIV><DIV>It is costing each club a minimum of Twelve million dollars ($12,000,000.00) per year to participate in the competition, an investment which they will not get back in a short term development plan.</DIV><DIV>Each club should be sold a franchise for a period of no less than five years (5 years).</DIV><DIV>This will enable the club to put their house in order over this period in order to protect their investments. They will have enough time to set up proper marketing plans which will be sustainable to the club's financial needs. They will have enough time to have a proper football programme in place which will be profitable to them in a few years as the players will become marketable. The clubs will not have the problem of survival hanging over their heads but enough time to be building young players and getting proper coaches into their organizations so as to keep the business alive.</DIV><DIV>This will also give the clubs a chance to build on their fan base as you know that the climate in this country is not one for die hearted fans.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>After this franchise period the clubs should be in a position to deal with the relegation system as they were given enough time to put their house in order.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>The under 21 competition should also be scrapped from the premier league clubs but instead all those clubs should be mandated to play all level of youth competitions within their confederations. Failing to do so will result in the clubs not been offered a franchise.</DIV><DIV>The JFF should then mandate each club to register at least ten (10) under 20 players to play in the league with a stipulation that they must get certain amount of playing time during the season. As a result of this the clubs will not have a lot of young players on their roster being stifilled but they would be on loans to other clubs, say super league and major league clubs which would guarantee them first team games which would help in their development for the future of the nation's football programme</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>The clubs will now have enough resources to go overseas and find quality players that they will be able to afford to pay to come and play in the league which will help not only the development of their players as they strive to maintain a high standard in order to command a first team place but will now start bringing out the band waggon spectators who has no problem paying at the turn stiles to see quality players.</DIV><DIV></DIV><P style="MARGIN-BOTTOM: -23px">
    Richard Nathan

Copyright 2005 -2006 Premidictor Ltd.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: What can be done to improve the NPL?

Improving The National Premier League

The question that pops up prior to the beginning of every National Premier League (NPL) season is, how can the NPL be improved? This answer to me has been staring the clubs and administrators in the face all along. There are simply two areas that can be improved, and those are, the quality of play, and the professionalism of the participating clubs. However, the perennial cry from the clubs and administrators is the lack of funds to do so.

I would like to look at both areas, beginning with the quality of play in the NPL. I have always advocated that too many clubs are in the NPL to make it competitive. The fact is we do not have the number of high quality players to sustain a twelve-team league. To my mind, a league comprising of ten teams would eventually offer spectators better quality football. A part of improving the quality of football also would be to impose a salary cap for players. What this would do is to let the so-called smaller clubs be competitive in the transfer market, especially the newly promoted clubs.

The second area focuses on the professionalism of the NPL clubs. This is an area that the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) has been trying to get the clubs to get in line with to no avail. The clubs are misguided in their approach to professionalism, by primarily attaching money to professionalism. Quite frankly money has nothing to do with professionalism. The running of a club in a professional manner involves more than money, and must start with that premise. The people elected or selected to be administrators and coaches of these clubs should first be trained for their particular role in the running of the clubs.

By simply improving in these two areas, the clubs and the NPL will experience better quality football, and a much better run league. The contribution of the clubs in these two areas is invaluable, and must now be paramount in the minds of the administrators of these clubs.

Finally, I would be naïve in thinking that improving in these two areas alone is the end all to the problems in the NPL. What I am suggesting, however, is that these two areas are where the changes should take place first.

Vin Blaine

Copyright 2005 -2006 Premidictor Ltd
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

144 million dollars?

Comment

How much is that in US dollars again?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

why? then get paid in US now?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Actually I was wondering on he additionalsums in circulation as a direct result of the activities of these NPL teams...by those who provide goods and services and those who attend matches...

...x 5? ...x 10? ...x 20? Who has those figures? Our dumb JFF?

Comment

The JFF should look about getting those figures, but don't expect them to get it themselves. That is not within their function, in my opinion.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I hope J.f.f see this letter and consider these ideas for future development.

Comment

<DIV>One of the reasons why marrying the U21 to the NPL works is because you can share costs. If HVFC's NPL team is playing Wadadah in Mobay, you can bring the U-21 along and share costs from buses to food to accommodations. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Not saying that is enuff to keep the competition. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>However, not because some of our great minds came up with the U-21 competition a few years ago means that we can't revise/fix/tinker with its format. Times change and everything, no matter how useful it might have seemed in the past, can be improved upon.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (10/19/2006)The JFF should look about getting those figures, but don't expect them to get it themselves. That is not within their function, in my opinion.
                    I know you better than to believe you believe what you just wrote. ..but, just on chance that I might be only believing I know you well enough to know...think I know, you know and do not believe in what you wrote...

...just think you are in that post suggesting that someone or a management group should not have all the facts on the business/business environment in which it operates?

One questions ...and, there are a host of others...do you think having the facts on, for example, number of persons playing the game...and, at each level...facts on what the game means to various sectors of the economy &amp; the country...etc., etc...would help in preparation of 'good presentation' to those who the JFF would like to come on board?...or, do you think not having a clue about what you are managing and or its importance to others is not worth a damn to aiding and assisting in good management?

Cho mi kno yuh jus a duh yuh jab has had-vi-za tuh di Boxhill had-min-nis-tra-shan! :w00t::hehe:

Comment

<DIV>Karl, I do not expect football people, the kinds of which we have in Jamaica, for sure, to be able to do the kind of "studies" that you are suggesting. However, they should employ the experts to do it, because it is important for their own bizniz and future development.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>What's so unbelievable about that?</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

too many people think research is a waste of time as them done know already.

karl I am not talking about you(so nuh tek nothing personal now)

I think that is one of the problem with Jamaica. Instead of setting up committees when we have problems, why not research before?
                        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Mosiah (10/19/2006)<DIV>Karl, I do not expect football people, the kinds of which we have in Jamaica, for sure, to be able to do the kind of "studies" that you are suggesting. However, they should employ the experts to do it, because it is important for their own bizniz and future development.</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>What's so unbelievable about that?</DIV>
                          Well...now yuh talk-in!

...but, dem mus larn pan di jab!

Comment

<DIV>Karl, that's no different from:</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>"<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl3_lblFullMessage>The JFF should look about getting those figures, but don't expect them to get it themselves. That is not within their function, in my opinion."</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN>Read and undastan nuh man! </SPAN></DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (10/19/2006)<DIV>Karl, that's no different from:</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>"<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__c tl3_lblFullMessage>The JFF should look about getting those figures, but don't expect them to get it themselves. That is not within their function, in my opinion."</SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN></SPAN></DIV><DIV><SPAN>Read and undastan nuh man! </SPAN></DIV>
                              Nooooo?

Once you are in charge and thus give the orders you are doing!Anyway you look at it, the JFF MUST get those figures. Hiring the experts to do...is but one way of doing for self....and, in may cases the best way of doing for self.

Aside: Perhaps, the JFF coudl get this done free...by partnering with others?

Comment

Working...
                              X