RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bolton is offering a trial to the tallest player in world football in the hope that giant Chinese striker Yang Changpeng becomes the new Peter Crouch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolton is offering a trial to the tallest player in world football in the hope that giant Chinese striker Yang Changpeng becomes the new Peter Crouch.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class="" vAlign=top width=560><H1 class=yspseohdln>Chinese stars revel in taste of Premiership life</H1><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Chinese stars revel in taste of Premiership life</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>by Jeremy Cross
    <SPAN class=ysptimedate>October 19, 2006</SPAN>

BOLTON, England (AFP) - Bolton manager Sam Allardyce is offering a trial to the tallest player in world football in the hope that giant Chinese striker Yang Changpeng becomes the new Peter Crouch.

Allardyce has tried but failed to sign lanky England forward Crouch three times during his time as Wanderers manager. Now it seems he could land a beanpole striker after all in the shape of the 6'9" (2.06m) China under-20 star from Wuhan FC.

The teenager, who is spending three weeks at Bolton alongside team-mate Zhou Liao, idolises Crouch and is hoping to meet the Liverpool star during his time in England, during which he will try to persuade Allardyce that he could make the grade in the Premiership.

Any deal to bring either of the Chinese players to England is a long way off as they are not yet established internationals and, as such, would not be eligible for a work permit.

But Bolton are hoping to develop a long-term partnership with Chinese Superleague side Wuhan that they hope will increase their profile in China whilst boosting the development of the game in the world's most populous country.

Bolton's activities include UEFA coaching courses, seminars, player and coach exchange programmes and the development of the Wuhan Bolton Wanderers China Football Development Centre.

For now, however, Yang is focusing on his immediate future and the chance to make an impression on Allardyce before he heads back to China.

Allardyce said Thursday: "They are talented, we can see that. We just need to see if they can cope or adapt to the way this country runs its football.

"We're looking for a hidden talent and hope we can find a player who is good enough, in the end, to join us. If that happens with these two, we'll be very, very lucky."

As part of the partnership between the two clubs, Wanderers have first option to sign Yang or Zhou and even if they don't take up the option, will command 20 per-cent of any fee Wuhan receive from another European club.

"This is just about starting the process," Allardyce said. "We hope that something comes out of it and that, somewhere down the line, one of those players gets into our first team."

Yang has followed Crouch's Premiership progress through satellite broadcasts and the striker has become accustomed to having his talent overshadowed by his size.

He said: "I love the intensity of the English league and the pace looks unreal. The English style of play would suit my game, with Bolton doing well it is good to be here training with the club.

"Peter Crouch is my hero. He has been very successful at Liverpool and I try to model my game on the way he plays.

"For someone who is very tall, he has an array of skills that makes him such a good player. Even though I am not at his standard, I feel I am good enough to reach his level in years to come."

Wanderers academy director Chris Sulley first spotted the duo when he took training sessions at Wuhan earlier this year.

He is delighted that they have adjusted so quickly to life with one of the club's carefully selected lodging houses.

He said: "They have had a little bit of a problem with the diet and accepting western food and they found KFCs (Kentucky Fried Chicken) - which we wouldn't recommend!

"I think it was out of politeness that they weren't eating a great deal, but you can see that they are big lads and need filling up.

"But the landlord told them that
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi
Working...
X