X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local football fraternity remembers 'Dirks' Campbell

Local football fraternity remembers 'Dirks' Campbell

Campbell in happier times

Jamaica's football family is in mourning after the death of the charismatic former football referee Winston 'Dirks' Campbell.

Campbell, believed to be in his mid-60s, died in Palm Beach, Florida, in the United States, on Saturday after ailing for close to a month.

'He had a stroke about three weeks ago which was followed up by a heart attack and he did not really recover from that. He was even on a life support system and died this morning,' Marvin Fisher, nephew of Campbell's wife, told The Gleaner on Saturday.

Health challenges

Campbell, who leaves behind a wife and three children, has had his health challenges in the last five years. Just over five years ago, while officiating in a Masters' League match, the affable veteran referee slipped and fell. He was found the following morning in his bathroom suffering from a stroke.

http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/articles...307&category=1
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Larger than ref!
    Walk good, friend!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Good man .I guess the lord needed a very good ref and man blow that whistle good.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

RIP Dirks.
        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Reid: 'Dirks' Campbell was one of Ja's best referees

Reid: 'Dirks' Campbell was one of Ja's best referees

Nodley Wright, Freelace Writer

Winston 'Dirks' Campbelll ... died in the United States on Saturday. - file

Jamaica's football family is in mourning following the death of the charismatic former football referee, Winston 'Dirks' Campbell.
          Campbell, 65, died in Palm Beach, Florida in the United States on Saturday after ailing for close to a month.

"He had a stroke about three weeks ago which was followed up by a heart attack and he did not really recover from that. He was even on a life support system and died this morning (Saturday)," Marvin Fisher, the nephew of Campbell's wife said on Saturday.

Campbell who leaves behind a wife and three children has had his health challenges in the past five years. Just over five years ago while officiating in a Masters' League match, the affable veteran referee slipped and fell.
          He was found the following morning in his bathroom suffering from a stroke.

News of his death saddened and shocked members of the football fraternity.

General secretary of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Horace Reid, chose to remember the qualities that made the man special.
          "My first association with Dirks was in 1980 when I was involved in the community League in Portmore.
          "I was immediately impressed with his ability to control and manage his environment on and off the field.
          "He ranks in my book as one of the most outstanding referees to have graced our shores," said Reid.

Carlton 'Spanner' Dennis a long time youth coach and Santos Football Club stalwart described Campbell as a class act. "He was class act and a no-nonsense person. He did his duty with integrity and professionalism. He was one of the finest referees we have ever produced," Dennis stated.

President of the Jamaica Football Referees Association, Winston Delahaye, was literally stunned when he heard the news and took a few seconds to gather himself. Having done so, he said: "He will be missed. He was a pioneer in many ways. He made a significant contribution to refereeing and referees in Jamaica and CONCACAF. He gave advice to a number of referees who he thought had potential. I am one of those who benefited from advice from him when I was getting into refereeing. I would also like to express condolences to the family on behalf of the referee's association."

Delahaye, who had just wrapped up a meeting of the referees' executive body, said an official statement will be released later.

Jamaica's most recognised football referee internationally, Peter Prendergast, said he learnt a lot from Campbell and always admired the way he carried out his duties.

"He had this unique way of using his body language before reaching for his card. He would utilise the stern look, a quiet warning or just a smile to let you know that he saw what you had done and that was enough for the player to stay in line,"

He added: "I always admired his forthright nature. He was never afraid to let you know what he thought or how he felt."

Prendergast is in Bermuda for World Cup duties. He was referees assessor in yesterday's crucial game between the host country and Trinidad and Tobago.

Comment

RIP Dirks, Membah when him use to beat him chess when him ah ref dem big game deh ah bwoy ah gwaan like ah dem run tings.

Comment

Working...
            X