• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not an easy road - Simoes

It's not an easy road - Simoes
    published: Thursday | June 26, 2008

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter
    A ROUGH road lies ahead of Reggae Boyz as they embark on the next phase of their qualification campaign, one that, in the opinion of technical director René Simoes, could very well be the end of the if the team does not improve in several key areas.

The national team had little trouble advancing from the second round of the CONCACAF qualifiers after thrashing the, ranked 167th, 13-0 on aggregate.
    However, the competition's third round is an entirely different prospect. The Boyz have found themselves in Group Two, the CONCACAF's 'Group of Death', where they will face Mexico, Honduras and, teams ranked first, third and fourth in the region.

Space for improvement
    "We must improve or we will not pass this difficult phase," Simoes told The Gleaner.
    "There are several aspects in which need to get better; our finishing, our marking, defending, movement - we really need to be more compact and play as a team," he said.

With several players added to the squad a little over a month ago, time is a critical factor in the Boyz not only eliminating errors, but building chemistry as a team. Jamaica will kick off the third round of the qualifiers on August 20 against the Canadians in Toronto, which gives very little time for adjustment.

On a recent trip to Canada, the technical director was impressed with the play of the Canadians.
    "It won't be easy, they are playing very well ... a different team than they were in 1998. They don't play as many long balls, they take control of the game. Canada are a good team," Simoes said.

However, the forecast is far from all doom and gloom from the technical director and he remains confident that the goal of World Cup qualification is still an attainable one.
    "I agree, it is the 'Group of Death', by far the most difficult one, but if the team is going to become stronger, better, then these are the kinds of challenges you have to face. In that respect, it's great and I look forward to it," he said.

Positive outlook
    "I always look at the glass as half full, not half empty; always positive, we can do it. There is no choice, we just have to go out there and do the job," he said.

In that respect, Simoes has not ruled out making additions that could bolster the team ahead of the tough third-round campaign.

"I am never satisfied, I am always looking to strengthen the national team and if there are people better than what I have out there, then they will be added to the squad," he said.

While admitting a schedule, which will see Jamaica finish with two home games against Honduras and then Canada, to be in some respects favourable, the man who guided the nation in the historic feat of qualification to the 1998 World Cup in France, insists that it is not enough for the team to be comfortable. "I do prefer to play the games in the end at home, but the fact is that we just have to go out there and play. Wherever the games are, we just have to try and get results which get the job done," he said.
    Last edited by Karl; June 26, 2008, 10:56 AM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

"I agree, it is the 'Group of Death', by far the most difficult one, but if the team is going to become stronger, better, then these are the kinds of challenges you have to face. In that respect, it's great and I look forward to it," he said.
    Positive outlook
    "I always look at the glass as half full, not half empty; always positive, we can do it. There is no choice, we just have to go out there and do the job," he said.

In that respect, Simoes has not ruled out making additions that could bolster the team ahead of the tough third-round campaign.
    "I am never satisfied, I am always looking to strengthen the national team and if there are people better than what I have out there, then they will be added to the squad," he said.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

This report must be making Mexico, Honduras and Canada jump for joy. And at the same time giving them a false sense of hope.

Comment

to all the "half empty" glass them.

start writing unuu apology and try fi ketch zion train.

There are some people who use every reference to prove why we can't and while it maybe logical, man have fi beat logics.

Good thing Coach Simoes realise that.

I am an optimist, and caan change that. As a player I played the number ome rank college in D2 and beat them while we were ranked no where. It wasn't easy but we did it and if felt nice.

I would be grumpy if I fail to believe in myself, and my team, fail to believe we can beat all odds, when I see other do it.

LOGICS don't work inna football.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          Rumours have started that Maestro is about to be called to the squad, so much so that KLAS Sports Radio interviewed him yesterday. He said he does not know about that. No one has called him about it. Maestro was frank, if not blunt about the many rumours and lies he has had to endure - doesn't train at Harbour View, hence his exclusion from the national team, doesn't play defence, too cocky (not my word), etc. He didn't mince his words in responding to each and every one.

If you watch what Simoes is saying however, it seems like he is more interested in getting some defensive talent. So, I'm not sure he is looking in Maestro's direction. Yes, he did say he wants some better finishing too, but if we are going to rely on a midfielder to be doing the bulk of the finishing, den tings bad.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Rumours have started that Maestro is about to be called to the squad, so much so that KLAS Sports Radio interviewed him yesterday. He said he does not know about that. No one has called him about it. Maestro was frank, if not blunt about the many rumours and lies he has had to endure - doesn't train at Harbour View, hence his exclusion from the national team, doesn't play defence, too cocky (not my word), etc. He didn't mince his words in responding to each and every one.

If you watch what Simoes is saying however, it seems like he is more interested in getting some defensive talent. So, I'm not sure he is looking in Maestro's direction. Yes, he did say he wants some better finishing too, but if we are going to rely on a midfielder to be doing the bulk of the finishing, den tings bad.
            What were his answers Mo.?

Comment

I have always said that Simoes believe in defense first and that is what he is trying to build. That is what we need most.

Wish Hue luck.

Comment

why?

Comment

Going to lunch. No, seriously! Will give you some answers when I get back. I promise!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

It's not an easy road - Simoes
                    published: Thursday | June 26, 2008

Kwesi Mugisa, Staff Reporter
                    A ROUGH road lies ahead of Reggae Boyz as they embark on the next phase of their qualification campaign, one that, in the opinion of technical director René Simoes, could very well be the end of the if the team does not improve in several key areas.

The national team had little trouble advancing from the second round of the CONCACAF qualifiers after thrashing the, ranked 167th, 13-0 on aggregate.
                    However, the competition's third round is an entirely different prospect. The Boyz have found themselves in Group Two, the CONCACAF's 'Group of Death', where they will face Mexico, Honduras and, teams ranked first, third and fourth in the region.

Space for improvement
                    "
                    We must improve or we will not pass this difficult phase," Simoes told The Gleaner.
                    "There are several aspects in which need to get better; our finishing, our marking, defending, movement - we really need to be more compact and play as a team," he said.

With several players added to the squad a little over a month ago, time is a critical factor in the Boyz not only eliminating errors, but building chemistry as a team. Jamaica will kick off the third round of the qualifiers on August 20 against the Canadians in Toronto, which gives very little time for adjustment.

On a recent trip to Canada, the technical director was impressed with the play of the Canadians.
                    "It won't be easy, they are playing very well ... a different team than they were in 1998. They don't play as many long balls, they take control of the game. Canada are a good team," Simoes said.

However, the forecast is far from all doom and gloom from the technical director and he remains confident that the goal of World Cup qualification is still an attainable one.

Positive outlook

While admitting a schedule, which will see Jamaica finish with two home games against Honduras and then Canada, to be in some respects favourable, the man who guided the nation in the historic feat of qualification to the 1998 World Cup in France, insists that it is not enough for the team to be comfortable. "I do prefer to play the games in the end at home, but the fact is that we just have to go out there and play. Wherever the games are, we just have to try and get results which get the job done," he said.

Simoes doesnt sound confident that he can solve the many problems we have to help us advance out of the semi-final round

sassin...weh u deh mi bredrin?

Comment

again unnu see the "half empty". Did he say we can make it? That is all mi want fi hear.

Comment

again unnu see the "half empty". Did he say we can make it? That is all mi want fi hear.

Do u expect him to say we cant make it even if that is wat he believes in his mind? .

He is coach and gets payed to say that mi bedren. Simoes mentioned the problems I said all along we had yet he only serious made reference to playing tight at the back.

have we done that since he's been here? Did he even mention how he's going to solve that problem? nuff a unnuh a live inna fools paradise.

Comment

"have we done that since he's been here? Did he even mention how he's going to solve that problem? nuff a unnuh a live inna fools paradise."

Yeah mi rather live deh so than fi say "we can't"

Which team nuh have problems? At least he knows the problem and is trying to address it.

Didn't Bora say that Mexico and US have 2 space already? You will never hear that from Simoes, you also remember he said he wasn't here to lose?

How soon you forget?

Comment

Doesn't train at Harbour View - he said that was not true. HVFC has a strict policy whereby those who do not train, do not play. Maestro missed few, if any games, last season. (Meanwhile, those who really don't train are becoming fixtures on the national side.) It was implied that such false news was being carried to the Simoes by the former coach, Lenny Hyde. It appears that the two, Maestro and Lenny, did not get along and Maestro had been calling for his sacking. However, he doesn't believe that Lenny's subsequent removal was due to his (Maestro's) actions. Maestro said that HVFC has a board that makes those decisions and it would be silly for anyone to think that he held that much power there. He said a team like HVFC had no business coming 4th in the league and that was reason enuff for the coach to get the boot.

Doesn't tackle - Maestro said that his coaches would have failed terribly over the years if that were true, and wonders how many other players may be suffering under similar bad coaches right now.

Being cocky - he doesn't believe he is but wonders when that became a bad thing for a footballer.

He said that he found it hard for a squad of 40 players to be called to training and he was not among them.

I did not hear the interview. What I have told you here is what he said to me in a phone call immediately after. He seemed happy to get a few things off his chest and said it was about time he gets to speak his mind since everybody has had their turn talking all sorts of things about him.

People have also called me to advise me that I need to keep tighter reins on my client. I never knew I was his agent! He seemed to have been close to the edge in p.i.s.sing off at least Lenny, who is still with the national program. I don't think he cares at this point.

He said he had no problem with Simoes, and their relationship goes way back.

Wish I heard the interview, but that was the gist of it, I believe.

It would be sad if he is called for the next round of matches. This is what they did when our World Cup dreams were on the line 4 years ago. If he is called, we all would expect him to immediately find a groove with his teammates, not having played even one friendly with them. And he better not disappoint. Indeed, he better win the matches for us or the chants about him being wutliss would go up again. Playing well will not be good enuff.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Positive outlook
                              wonder if simoes been reading lazie & the poops... seems as if he is directing his argument to that group...
                              'to get what we've never had, we MUST do what we've never done'

Comment

Working...
                              X