Platini issues debt warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Platini issues debt warning

Michel Platini insists UEFA are going to "fight very seriously" to restrict entry into the Champions League and UEFA Cup by clubs in debt.

UEFA president Platini again expressed his concern at the amount of rising debt even the top clubs are getting into.
    The two-time World Player of the year claimed that in future UEFA would come down hard on clubs that owed hefty sums - a decision that could have seen European champions Manchester United and final opponents Chelsea banned from the Champions League last season.
    Platini spoke about the issue earlier this month and said "it is the ones who cheat who win".

And he added on Thursday: "UEFA are going to fight very seriously to restrict entry to its competitions from clubs that are in debt.
    "I'm not only talking about English teams such as Chelsea or Manchester United, who reached the Champions League final with a huge debt, I'm talking in general.
    "It's a problem that grabs my heart. Four or five years from now we have to have sorted the situation out, with co-operation from clubs and national associations."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Huh? What does the financial standing of the clubs have to do with them participating in the CL? Can someone please explain this?
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
      Huh? What does the financial standing of the clubs have to do with them participating in the CL? Can someone please explain this?
      Yuttie and Me mock me about my stance with the Glazers taker over. I keep telling them that there is a clause within UEFA that clubs with enormous debt cannot play in the CL. During the takeover, I read an article from NewsNow that Manu was cutting it close. Now it appears that Platini may want to put the bar lower. The Empire may have to sell more than Ronaldo to keep below the threshold.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Mr. President you never did come outright with your thoughts about whether you think Ronaldo should go. What do you think, should he go?
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
          Mr. President you never did come outright with your thoughts about whether you think Ronaldo should go. What do you think, should he go?
          Personally, I wish for him to remain at the Empire. What is he going to achieve at Real MAdrid that him cannot achieve at The Empire? Win La Liga and Copa Del Rey? If so be it, have a one off match with the La Liga winner for their winners medal then.

Then again, if he is behaving like a brat and insist he wants to play for a lesser team, tek the money and mek him gwaan. When Cantona, Beckham and Ruud left people were speculating it was the end of the road. Look at us now? Fergie can replace Ronaldo.

Comment

Working...
          X